Default blinder illegal in Ontario, Canada

I was going to post a question asking whether the Blinder is legal in Ontario, Canada but I answered my own question after googling for the highway traffic act. It seems that because the blinder includes a warning system for the driver, it is ipso facto illegal. Even if you disconnect the buzzer and LED, it's still illegal because it's designed to interfere with their measurement activities. All the cops need to do is look at the front of your car through a digital camera and they'll see the Blinder activate.

Speed measuring warning devices

79. (1) In this section,

“speed measuring warning device” means any device or equipment designed or intended for use in a motor vehicle to warn the driver of the presence of speed measuring equipment in the vicinity and includes any device or equipment designed or intended for use in a motor vehicle to interfere with the effective operation of speed measuring equipment. 1996, c. 33, s. 12.

Speed measuring warning device prohibited

(2) No person shall drive on a highway a motor vehicle that is equipped with or that carries or contains a speed measuring warning device. 1996, c. 33, s. 12.

Yoda of Radar

Trust me they won't be using infrared cameras to look at your Blinders. The only thing that is necessary to do is turn off the system when you have been targeted and are driving a safe speed. They produce no emission when not firing so no worries of Spectre-like troubles.

And that goes for everyone, even if the jammers are legal where you are, since if you make too much trouble they might not be for much longer!

Okay, but all digital cameras based on CMOS sensors will pick up the blinder. It doesn't have to be a special "infrared camera". Got a cameraphone? That'll work.

Yoda of Radar

Will the beams be easily visible?

Still I would not be concerned.

You make a good point. The LEDs aren't going to be very visible from hundreds of feet away. If you shut the system off as soon as you hear the buzzer, you'd probably be okay.

I'd like it better if the modules weren't so big. Once these devices are more widely deployed, cops are going to start looking for them. If Blinder used a real laser diode, they could make them much smaller.

Advanced Member

Yup, the Lidatek heads are smaller but everybody is waiting for the next generation of Jammers to be released.