Good Citizen

Question M27 - Should i be concern?

Question:
    Ok, is it common for your RD to go off before your jammer?

Scenario:
    On my way home today i was approaching a hill that would eventually become a slow decline. Before i could even see where the LEO was my V1 was yelling Fire and brimstone (in other words - SLOW THE HECK DOWN!). I guess he was able to see the roolf of my car and took aim for it... Here is the catch, silence from the M27... Once the LEO was visible, the M27 went off (2 seconds later)...

2nd question:
    If a laser is a straight line, shouldn't it have pass (not directly) on top of the jammers hence making them go off? or is it only when he is trying to get a direct read from CM DHL or PHL are the jammers are useful?

What happened after the jammers went off?
    In my state of confusion, it was left on for 5 seconds before i slowed down and turned off the jammer. The LEO continued to shoot (another 15 seconds) because the v1 continued alerting until i passed.

Any words of wisdom would be great?

Thanks,
    Ros

Default Re: M27 - Should i be concern?

Quote Originally Posted by RosL View Post
    Question:
    Ok, is it common for your RD to go off before your jammer?

Scenario:
    On my way home today i was approaching a hill that would eventually become a slow decline. Before i could even see where the LEO was my V1 was yelling Fire and brimstone (in other words - SLOW THE HECK DOWN!). I guess he was able to see the roolf of my car and took aim for it... Here is the catch, silence from the M27... Once the LEO was visible, the M27 went off (2 seconds later)...
    Most likely he started shooting the instant he saw your roof crest the hill. The beam hit your V1, but not your M27 as the M27 was not in the line of sight yet.

Not sure why he kept shooting you though. Maybe he got a quick PT before you crested the hill, then lost it. He could have been trying to get a new reading of you exceeding the PSL (which you weren't).

Quote Originally Posted by RosL View Post
    2nd question:
    If a laser is a straight line, shouldn't it have pass (not directly) on top of the jammers hence making them go off? or is it only when he is trying to get a direct read from CM DHL or PHL are the jammers are useful?
    It is my understanding that the jammers won't alert unless they take a direct hit of the beam (possibly scatter too?). Here's a crappy analogy - if I shot a BB at your face without you knowing, you wouldn't scream unless I actually hit you. If I missed, you'd never be the wiser.
    Last edited by WhistlerUser; 08-21-2009 at 08:11 PM.

Professional

ur detector will go off first but your jammer will start instatntly just takes a chance for it to realy the audio message

Yoda of Radar

I dont have much time for a response but here you go:

V1 is the king of laser, it likely picked up scatter (search this term and read).

Its common the V1 will pick this (scatter) up before some jammers, they should go off if targeted only (we hope), but picking up scatter isnt bad either.

Laser is LOS (Line of Site), but basically if the jammers can see the laser, they will fire-back and should jam very will the front of a car mounted correctly.

It is possible, but unlikely that the LEO was targeting your roof/upper windshield area... and since the jammers can't see him or his laser (via blocked by road), they will not fire, and even if they did, without LOS to the gun they wouldn't jam.

Sounds like your jammers worked fine, the LEO was just sloppy with targeting you and cars around you... hence spewing scatter everywhere.

Good Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by WhistlerUser View Post
    Not sure why he kept shooting you though. Maybe he got a quick PT before you crested the hill, then lost it. He could have been trying to get a new reading of you exceeding the PSL (which you weren't)
    After thinking about it, it may have been possible the M27s were doing their job... Why else would he keep firing...?

Quote Originally Posted by AirMoore View Post
    Sounds like your jammers worked fine, the LEO was just sloppy with targeting you and cars around you... hence spewing scatter everywhere.
    That makes since seeing how there was another car half a length ahead of me. I didn't know the V1 was that powerful to pick up on the LEO targeting someone in that close of vicinity (what you called scatter).

I typically avoid that area because they post at the bottom of the hill daily. I will attempt to make a video and post.

Yoda of Radar

Scatter is really a misnomer for what is actually happening most of the time. It's not really "scatter", as in light bouncing off into space and hitting you. It's either light that passed through the car windows ahead of you and into your car, or light that simply passed around the car ahead of you and hit you. Actual "scatter", in the strictest sense is a pretty marginal expectation, even for the V1.

"Buy the BEST and screw the rest." - fire65

"im intrested to see how well you do.i never seen a car JTG before would be a first for me.." - radarrob