Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Legality of a laser jammer

I understand that laser jammers are legal in most states, but I cannot help but wonder how exactly you explain such a device when "on the record." If you tell him it's purpose, are you not admitting to obstruction of justice?

If an officer of the court asks you if you have a laser jammer; what do you say?

I fully understand our fifth amendment rights, but we all know that being friendly and cooperative can be very benficial when necessary. If a cop feels you were clearly over the speed limit, and pulls you over without laser verification, he's gonna ask you if have a jammer! So I'm curious how you all would handle this situation.

Scratonicity Groupie

I see it as a catch 22 if you are nice & forth giving of information then you could be admitting implied guilt to obstruction of justice... However since laser jammers are legal then you are technically not obstructing justice. But if you plead the 5th, request a lawyer then you perhaps have something else to hide in the car... Meaning now we have to get dogs, possibly getting car towed depending on how far the officer wanted to take it.

My response if this situation ever happened to me would be to stick to the facts as to why I was pulled over and would not admit anything else. As in why was I pulled over? What did you get my speed at? I'd much rather take a ticket for obstruction that could be easily thrown out in court and remain civil, then get into a pissing contest with the officer on the spot. Because as a civilian I'm pretty sure I'd lose that match 100% of the time. There's a time & place for this and that's in the courts!

They could do the visual estimate of your speed; my roommate just got a ticket like this because he was foolish and did not turn his blinder off. The ticket was written for "unsafe speed" although the officer had no mechanical evidence of his speed just what he thought at 1000+ FT. When we take it to court I strongly believe it will be thrown out almost instantly without any fight? Go pace off 1000+ ft and tell me your eyes can judge how fast a car is moving, I think not!

While in court the officer would not be asking the questions it would be the DA. If I was asked the question I would be proud to admit I have a Blinder Laser Jammer, being they are 100% legal! When under oath there is not a chance I could ever stray from the truth.

While this is a good scenario the odds of this happening are pretty slim in my book. The use of laser jammers are very rare and for the most part the officer is just going to try and get a reading, stop for a second by this time you have disabled the unit, he's going to get a reading and you are legal so everyone is happy

Default Itís a long shot, but hear me out.

What if a savvy cop pulls you/I over, and asks what those devices are hidden in the grill? Without an explanation (remaining silent), he is safe in assuming it is an active jammer used to impede his police work. Yes, laser jammers are legal to own and operate, but surely not with the expressed intent of breaking the law.

Police scanners are legal to own and operate in most states, even in motor vehicles. The only exception I have heard of, is when they are used in conjunction with another crime, wherein the intent is to aid the person performing an alleged crime.

The very same could be said about guns. They are free to own and operate, but not in conjunction with an alleged crime. Again, it all boils down to intent.

The big difference I see between scanners/guns and a laser jammer is that one could reasonably argue that the aforementioned are normally owned and operated for enjoyment, where as the intent and purpose of operating the laser jammer remains unclear.

So here we are, evoking our 5th, while any half-witted prosecutor presents the following evidence:

ē A device found on the defendantís car serves the only purpose of jamming laser signals that match only the wavelength of police speed detection equipment.
    ē Said device is explicitly packaged and marketed for only the purpose of impeding speed detection devices . e.g. ďNo more speeding tickets,Ē "Blinder makes your speed invisible."

I canít help but wonder these things. Donít get me wrong, I bought one and am anxious to see it work the first time. :wink:

It seems to me, an alternative (viable) purpose needs to be stated when an officer/prosecutor is trying to determine intent and purpose. Simply stating that ďI enjoy lasers, and laser devices,Ē might be a start, but itís hardly exculpable. Thatís almost like a guy with a bong in his back seat stating itís for tobacco.

Given the effectiveness of this jammer, it seems that an alternative purpose would also help any future legislation (state or federal) limiting it's use. As it stands... how can any reasonable lawmaker not see this device as deviant in intent and purpose?

Advanced Member

The AL6 also happens to be a parking sensor. Or, is it a parking sensor that just happens to jam police laser? That would be a great explanation, at least when the AL6 is finally available.

Jim

Yoda of Radar

And (IIRC) the upcoming Drivesmart system is also a garage-door opener...

Professional

Quote Originally Posted by jimbonzzz
    The AL6 also happens to be a parking sensor. Or, is it a parking sensor that just happens to jam police laser? That would be a great explanation, at least when the AL6 is finally available.
    when it is finally available and i purchase one, that'll be my answer to anyone who asks what it is, including my parents .

why would the officer pull you over if he gets a reading and doesnt see you burn rubber to slow down really quickly? it doesnt take more than a few seconds to return to the legal speed and flip your jammer off.

Default Re: Itís a long shot, but hear me out.

Quote Originally Posted by binarysleep
    What if a savvy cop pulls you/I over, and asks what those devices are hidden in the grill? Without an explanation (remaining silent), he is safe in assuming it is an active jammer used to impede his police work. Yes, laser jammers are legal to own and operate, but surely not with the expressed intent of breaking the law.
    simple "what seems to be the problem, officer?"...

1. i doubt that he will notice those
    2. (at least in OH) he needs a Warrant in order to search your car (even if it's a "probable cause"), so he can't do anything to you in regards to that -- of course, if you say "yes" then you're allowin him/her to enter the vehicle
    3. #2 would not apply if you were speeding 25MPH over the speed limit which he acutally can arrest you and take you to jail.. at which point he can inpound your car... now, he still would need a warrant in order to search your car, but we all need how all that "police work works"..
    4. if you didn't speed, you could go home and remove the "sensors"--if you really believe they're gonna come and search your car
    5. i highly doubt cops would go through any of 2-4...

so to make the long story short--he can't do anything... and if he assumes, well, you go to court and show them that you dont have it..

Regarding 2-5:

A properly mounted Blinder requires a clear view of the road ahead, i.e. in your front grill within plain view.

Sans warrant, an officer only needs ďprobable causeĒ to initiate a search of your vehicle. Looking at the front of the car would clearly show a laser jammer, giving him legal justification to search your vehicle.

And about number 1:

I agree. This is all doubtfull, but still a possible scenerio.

Newcomer

You should basically not talk to the officer. I got a ticket a number of years ago, and when I had my atty go look at it and work on getting it off my record, the LEO had written our ENTIRE CONVERSATION verbatim on the back of his copy of the ticket. So, if you do get stopped, answer his questions with a question - like "Do you know how fast you were going?" Answer: "Why, how fast do you think I was going?" or something like that.

Also, most cops pull up behind you when you are stopped and walk up from the back of the car. They don't often do a walkaround and get down on their knees and start peering into grills and air vents at bumper level. If they did, and ask what was that box in the front of your car, answer with a question. "Do you think it is some sort of sensor?" with the implication that these cars are so complex, who knows?

If he had some sort of warning on his laser gun and that is what he is asking you about, then just say something like "I'm not competent to really speak about laser speed measurement, so I'd rather not."

Other than that, I would volunteer no information, have no discussion, do nothing and say nothing. Anything you can say is only going to hurt you - and they write it ALL down.

J.

Yoda of Radar

Quote Originally Posted by JohnJ80
    Also, most cops pull up behind you when you are stopped and walk up from the back of the car. They don't often do a walkaround and get down on their knees and start peering into grills and air vents at bumper level. If they did, and ask what was that box in the front of your car, answer with a question. "Do you think it is some sort of sensor?" with the implication that these cars are so complex, who knows?
    J.
    Oh that's the sensor to turn on the headlights when it's nighttime...