Lead Foot

Default Found a rather serious M*7 flaw

I was doing some last minute testing today.. was getting JTG/JFG results aside from a small number of sub 50ft punch throughs (due to small weaknesses that i'm fixing), and all of a sudden I started getting a ton of PT on my tests. At first I thought it was a bad jammer head since I couldn't get it to go off even in parking mode. So as I keep testing my friend tells me that the jammer light/buzzer wasnt going off (red light/sound). We come to find out the sun was killing the jammer head sensors! I have videos which I'll put up either tonight or tomorrow, but basically if your driving towards the sun before sunset, the sun will not allow the jammer heads to detect LIDAR hits (interference?). This is a rather serious flaw since your basically left without protection. If your driving away from the sun and towards LIDAR then the system jams fine, but if your driving towards the sun and get hit with LIDAR the system will not detect it, therefore it will not jam. Also, if you put the system in parking mode, you can actually make the sensors go off with the sun. I do have my heads in a chrome grill, so I'm not sure if that's doing some weird reflection, but I'm not sure I'll be able to test with a blacked out grill since I have to return my laser tomorrow. Heads up Blinder!!
    Last edited by OPTiK; 09-04-2009 at 06:05 PM.

Radar Fanatic

Default Re: Found a rather serious M*7 flaw

Quote Originally Posted by OPTiK View Post
    I was doing some last minute testing today.. was getting JTG/JFG results aside from a small number of sub 50ft punch throughs (due to small weaknesses that i'm fixing), and all of a sudden I started getting a ton of PT on my tests. At first I thought it was a bad jammer head since I couldn't get it to go off even in parking mode. So as I keep testing my friends tells me that the jammer light/buzzer wasnt going off (red light/sound). We come to find out the sun was killing the jammer head sensors! I have videos which I'll put up either tonight or tomorrow, but basically if your driving towards the sun before sunset, the sun will not allow the jammer heads to detect LIDAR hits (interference?). This is a rather serious flaw since your basically left without protection. If your driving away from the sun and towards LIDAR then the system jams fine, but if your driving towards the sun and get hit with LIDAR the system will not detect it, therefore it will not jam. Also, if you put the system in parking mode, you can actually make the sensors go off with the sun. I do have my heads in a chrome grill, so I'm not sure if that's doing some weird reflection, but I'm not sure I'll be able to test with a blacked out grill since I have to return my laser tomorrow. Heads up Blinder!!
    We are aware of it and working on a fix. Thanks for the heads up.

Radar Fanatic

I never had a problem with mine (drive about 130 miles each day), in the morning or evening but I don't have mine by any chrome. I think it's seeing weird reflections and maybe putting it in some kind of lock out mode so that it does not alert to falses.

edit: never mind, keep up the good work blinder_guy and Blinder.

Power User

Wow, I often have to drive due west at about sunset for 150 miles or so. It always makes me nervous because it's hard to scan the road ahead for LEOs with the sun in my eyes.

Definately not the time to be vulnerable...

Lead Foot

Quote Originally Posted by Blinder-Guy View Post
    I was doing some last minute testing today.. was getting JTG/JFG results aside from a small number of sub 50ft punch throughs (due to small weaknesses that i'm fixing), and all of a sudden I started getting a ton of PT on my tests. At first I thought it was a bad jammer head since I couldn't get it to go off even in parking mode. So as I keep testing my friends tells me that the jammer light/buzzer wasnt going off (red light/sound). We come to find out the sun was killing the jammer head sensors! I have videos which I'll put up either tonight or tomorrow, but basically if your driving towards the sun before sunset, the sun will not allow the jammer heads to detect LIDAR hits (interference?). This is a rather serious flaw since your basically left without protection. If your driving away from the sun and towards LIDAR then the system jams fine, but if your driving towards the sun and get hit with LIDAR the system will not detect it, therefore it will not jam. Also, if you put the system in parking mode, you can actually make the sensors go off with the sun. I do have my heads in a chrome grill, so I'm not sure if that's doing some weird reflection, but I'm not sure I'll be able to test with a blacked out grill since I have to return my laser tomorrow. Heads up Blinder!!

Nice, now I dont have to post terrible cellphone vids, glad to see blinder is on top of it

Quote Originally Posted by languy99 View Post
    I never had a problem with mine (drive about 130 miles each day), in the morning or evening but I don't have mine by any chrome. I think it's seeing weird reflections and maybe putting it in some kind of lock out mode so that it does not alert to falses.

You wouldn't really know unless you have it in parking mode and it falses since it won't false during jam mode, it just wont do anything as if its a dead head.

Radar Fanatic

In my opinion the most vulnerable time is at night, they can be right in the middle of the road and you will never seen them. That is actually how I got my first save with the old m25, the LEO was right in the median with all of the lights off, I didn't see him until I actually passed him.

Radar Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by Blinder-Guy View Post

Nice, now I dont have to post terrible cellphone vids, glad to see blinder is on top of it

Quote Originally Posted by languy99 View Post

You wouldn't really know unless you have it in parking mode and it falses since it won't false during jam mode, it just wont do anything as if its a dead head.
    I really do believe the reflection off the chrome can have something to do with it. I have tested several units in this same set-up and 1 out of about 5 had the problem and I believe it was the way it was installed. Reflection directly into the head from a shiny part of the grill was what caused it on my car. Once I moved the head to a location that the sun reflection was not as intense into the head then the problem went away.

Radar Fanatic

thanks for confirming my suspicions blinder_guy

Lead Foot

You may want to add a warning to the manual or somewhere that takes note of this problem (until its fixed). I was driving around today in the morning in parking mode and I got random beeps so I know I was still getting interference. This is an easy way to test if there is a problem, just drive around in parking mode with a low sun and if it goes off then you know your chrome is messing up the sensor.

Yoda of Radar

That is an unacceptable flaw... completely unacceptable.

We have always known that the sun can play a part in lidar, but this is terrible...