Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Newcomer

Default Need help finding best location for the Blinder transponder // UPDATE - INSTALLED!

Hi guys.

I'm new here and I have a question about the placement of the IR heads.

I have a 2011 BMW 528i and it's a bit tough to find a proper location for the M27 heads. I heard that it's tough with BMW's in general. I've searched some BMW forums but I can't seem to find a good thread on this matter. It's mostly self install threads with no concrete performance updates after the install.

My question:

1. Can the heads be installed vertically on the slats of the grill and function properly? I've read in many posts here that the heads need to be installed horizontally with the receivers towards the outside.

2. How about behind the grill? I've done some search on this matter but I hear both sides... Some say it works fine and some say that it will deteriorate performance quite a bit.

3. 3rd option would be under the chin of the spoiler out in the open... I'm guessing that's too low.

I don't have enough posts here so I cant attach any pictures yet. Can you guys search for an front image of a 2011 BMW F10 5 series and let me know what you think?

It would make sense to mount under the plates but it's a very shallow lip and I don't think it can be mounted securely. The blank space under the bumper (what looks to be blank) has a diamond pattern black plastic grill (about 1/2" hole on each diamond) and I'm not sure if installing behind this grill will clear the IR signal with minimal interference.

I'm having it professionally installed but I wanted to have some foresight on the location so I can confirm/agree with the installer.

Thanks for the input guys!
    Last edited by ddd269; 06-21-2010 at 05:00 PM. Reason: Got it installed

Radar Fanatic

Default Re: Need help finding best location for the Blinder transponder heads

Quote Originally Posted by ddd269 View Post
    Hi guys.

2. How about behind the grill? I've done some search on this matter but I hear both sides... Some say it works fine and some say that it will deteriorate performance quite a bit.
    no, never, absolutely not.

Newcomer

Quote Originally Posted by aa2033 View Post
    Hi guys.

no, never, absolutely not.
    lol... the installer said the same. Got it installed this afternoon and looks and works great! He tried it with the Traffic Patrol XR and worked great... Not a real life situation, but he hit me from about 1.5 blocks away (1500 ft?) and the beep and red light went on. On his gun it showed something like E58? Can't remember well.

I'm very happy overall.

I'll post some pictures when I reach the noob post limit. Can I spam like crazy so I can post pictures?
    Last edited by ddd269; 06-21-2010 at 04:56 PM.

Yoda of Radar

Sounds like your installer has at least a basic grasp of what is needed, since he knows that you can NEVER put a head behind ANYTHING.

But I sure hope he didn't mount it where most do, which is below the bumper in the lower air dam. If he did, prepare to be pwn3d. They have to go higher or you're just waiting to fail.

"Buy the BEST and screw the rest." - fire65

"im intrested to see how well you do.i never seen a car JTG before would be a first for me.." - radarrob

Newcomer

Quote Originally Posted by Stealth Stalker View Post
    Sounds like your installer has at least a basic grasp of what is needed, since he knows that you can NEVER put a head behind ANYTHING.

But I sure hope he didn't mount it where most do, which is below the bumper in the lower air dam. If he did, prepare to be pwn3d. They have to go higher or you're just waiting to fail.
    hmm... didn't have much of a choice though. It's right under both edge of the license plate.
    Im not sure if we're talking about the same place.
    I'll post some pics as soon as I'm over 15 posts.

Yoda of Radar

The bottom line is, if you don't have a Laser Interceptor, you have to either cut your grille or mount the heads out in front of the grille. That's a problem with all BMWs because of that ugly vertical grille. Where you have them mounted now, you only have about a 50/50 chance of successfully jamming a cop. I'd slow down.

"Buy the BEST and screw the rest." - fire65

"im intrested to see how well you do.i never seen a car JTG before would be a first for me.." - radarrob

Radar Fanatic

hmm... didn't have much of a choice though. It's right under both edge of the license plate.
    Are the heads flush with the bumper, or are they sticking out?
    i agree with SS, and ESPECIALLY if they are not sticking out far enough, you're in even more trouble.

Newcomer

i agree with SS, and ESPECIALLY if they are not sticking out far enough, you're in even more trouble.

Crap! It's flush right under the bumper... I'll post some pictures in a bit.

In the middle of doing some stuff.

Radar Fanatic

Crap! It's flush right under the bumper... I'll post some pictures in a bit.

In the middle of doing some stuff.

the sensors wont be able to see above the bumper at closer ranges. if you're shot ambush style, you're smoked. most encounters are 1000 feet or less. i would have no confidence in those.. that's my honest opinion

Newcomer

Default Pictures of the install M27

Posted the install pictures on this thread.

M27 install - 2011 BMW 528i