Newcomer

Default 2 laser different diode

I noticed that the 905 model has two laser diodes that are different in appearance, does anyone know why? Is it possible that they are for different wavelengths?

Banned

Default Re: 2 laser different diode

There aren't two laser diodes. One is a laer diode, the other is a LED diode. The LED diode provides a more divergent transmit beam.

Newcomer

Quote Originally Posted by RadarGeek View Post
    There aren't two laser diodes. One is a laer diode, the other is a LED diode. The LED diode provides a more divergent transmit beam.
    What is it good for?

Banned

Most laser diodes beam is more eliptical than circular. The jammer companies have generally oriented the diode such that the beam is wider than tall. The use of LED helps to give additional vertical protection.

Newcomer

Most laser diodes beam is more eliptical than circular. The jammer companies have generally oriented the diode such that the beam is wider than tall. The use of LED helps to give additional vertical protection.
    I know all about the laser diode, but its not logical to use both, the up/doun rise time is different and 1 led have no real power to overcome the original pulse return...

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by ECM View Post
    I know all about the laser diode, but its not logical to use both, the up/doun rise time is different and 1 led have no real power to overcome the original pulse return...
    Yes, their rise and fall times are very different, as well as the LED is much less powerful compared to the laser diode. It is not overpowering the laser beam, but beating the LIDAR's clock that jams the LIDAR.

Speed Demon

Quote Originally Posted by ECM View Post
    You misunderstand the concept of using both!RadarGeek IS correct.
    It is not about "overcoming" the Original pulse,it is all about "seeing" the pulse in the first place.You also forget about the "inverse-distance square law".The Lidar pulse has to make two (2) trips--"out" & "return".
    The Blinder only has to make ONE (1) trip to the Lidar gun.
    Plus don't forget...the EMF wavefront is ever expanding in divergence w/ each foot of distance traveling which greatly dissipates its strength over the full total distance.

Advanced Member

It is also my understanding that the LED in the HP905's are used in parking assist, the laser diode remains off for parking, which is a good thing.

2010 Honda Civic Sedan
    Cobra 19 DX IV CB
    Wilson Lil Wil
    Uniden BCT15X Scanner
    Garmin Nuvi 1300
    Saves: More than I can count

Newcomer

Quote Originally Posted by OpenRoad View Post
    It is also my understanding that the LED in the HP905's are used in parking assist, the laser diode remains off for parking, which is a good thing.
    Thats sound like the real reson for the led...