Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Good Citizen

With all those over-the-top safety advocates that say no one can drive fast safely no matter what car you have and no matter your skill is...........if that crap is true then I should have died riding in that car as many times as I did.
    Dale Earnhardt rode in fast cars alot more than you and even though his car was made for racing and his skills were probably better than your "elite driving skill", that "crap" finally took his life. 8)

Good Citizen

Check out this "elite driving skill".

http://www1.snapfish.com/share/p=970...=SYE/otsi=SALB

Power User

Quote Originally Posted by thestampcollector
    With all those over-the-top safety advocates that say no one can drive fast safely no matter what car you have and no matter your skill is...........if that crap is true then I should have died riding in that car as many times as I did.
    Dale Earnhardt rode in fast cars alot more than you and even though his car was made for racing and his skills were probably better than your "elite driving skill", that "crap" finally took his life. 8)
    I wasn't reffering to my driving skill. I was a passenger in that Trans Am. Dale Earnhardt didn't use the recommended safety devices for the racing sport he chose, he was known as a "rebel" and wore the minimum amount of safety devices allowed. Racing on a circular track is different (not safer) than driving on a public road.

Power User

Check out this "elite driving skill".

http://www1.snapfish.com/share/p=970...=SYE/otsi=SALB
    Those are wicked looking crash pics! Is there any way to prove that it wasn't some dumba$$ driving trying to be cool with no skill? Nope, no way to prove the skill of that driver. I couldn't tell from the pictures, but it seems that the crash was not on a highway. The first thing is not to go that fast if your not on a highway.

Why don't the government mandate 25mph governors on all vehichles? We will be safe then right? The slower the safer right? No one can be safe driving fast with training and skill right?

hey stampcollector, what is the fastest you have ever drove either working or off duty?
    My next question is, were you safe going that fast?

Yoda of Radar

Quote Originally Posted by stealthJamal
    Dale Earnhardt didn't use the recommended safety devices for the racing sport he chose, he was known as a "rebel" and wore the minimum amount of safety devices allowed. Racing on a circular track is different (not safer) than driving on a public road.
    BINGO! Earnhardt was being a dick and it ended up biting him in the [not-so-happy]a$$.

But obviously his use of the tether system (or lack thereof)didn't cause the crash.

In a racing environment, the tracks are designed expressly for cars to travel at high speed safely. You can run all day in a new Corvette at say 300 km/h down a nice banked oval without any safety risk. The issue is when you add other cars.

Now if you had say a standard amount of racing cars going around at top speed around the track, but without the "race" excitement, ie nobody really wants to pass or anything, you'd have a similar amount of safety.

In fact, the first limited-access expressways built in Germany during the 1920's were actually racetracks, and used for racing purposes... however the 2 straights were open to traffic when there was no race in progress. It was very safe.

Basically speaking, the reduction in variables offered by a racetrack (no surprising curves, no police patrols, highly skilled drivers, properly maintained cars etc) dramatically improves safety. However the competition variable created by the "we're in a race!" aspect causes drivers to act irresponsibly in the quest to win. Driving flat out, 10/10ths...

Now most of us think the speed limit on a limited-access highway is BS. But we aren't driving nearly as competitively and hard.

Good Citizen

Anyway to prove that the driver’s skills were not as good as he thought? Nope! But I bet he didn’t think he would wrap his car around a tree or he would have done things a little different. I guess the highway comment means that the trees are more forgiving along the highway. My point is, no matter how good your skills are and how good your car performs; there are other people on the roads to contend with. Their skills and car may not be up the task that your driving behavior puts them in. They may be startled by your speed or other driving behavior (get that car sideways with the wheels spinning, shift, and take the F off leaveing a big a$$ cloud of smoke!) and do something that may in turn cause them to effect your driving ability and now you are the one that is surprised. Now there are places where everyone has “elite driving skills”, drive cars that are built for the purpose, drive on roads where everyone goes in the same direction, roads that have no access by any unauthorized drivers, and the surprise factor is very, very limited. The public roads is not that place. As I have told you before, better and tougher driver education would go along way in allowing for safer roadways. The roads have been improved toward that purpose as well as the cars being much safer. It’s the human factor that has not kept up.

The fastest I have driven is too fast and no I was not safe doing so. That is why I limit it to times when I have to do it to do my job. Maybe that is why some police departments have a no pursuit policy. Every police department knows that when the speed of the police vehicle increases, so does the possibility of a crash. Things happen faster and with less time to react. Even though we are specially trained, have cars that are capable of high speeds, have emergency equipment to assist with our higher speeds, the fact remains that other users of the highway are unpredictable and one unexpected move at high speeds might be disastrous.

Oh, and I know that the driving behavior you described in the Trans Am was on the highway because “The first thing is not to go that fast if your not on a highway.”

I still love you man so don’t make me come clean your butt up off the highway after someone does something in front of you that you didn’t anticipate and that your “elite driving skill” wasn’t up to the task to handle and you crash. Who would I argue with?

Lead Foot

Someone is using MS word to post because you dont get those cutesy angled "s without it :P

Althought, I say I agree with thestampcollector.... there are too many dumbasses on the road to risk speeding for a thrill. If you are speeding because the conditions allow for a certain safe speed, okay... but for the thrill of taking a risk well in excess of what is safely possible... no not okay.

Power User

I still love you man so don’t make me come clean your butt up off the highway after someone does something in front of you that you didn’t anticipate and that your “elite driving skill” wasn’t up to the task to handle and you crash. Who would I argue with?
    Thanks stamp, I value your opinion as always. Once again, I wasn't talking about me. I can't drive a Trans Am that well/crazy. I was a passenger in that car.

If you are referring to "my elite driving skill" in my signature that means my ability to travel over the limit (safely) and not get caught because radar detectors and laser jammers only do so much. You have to keep your eyes open and check around more often then the average driver to watch for pacing in unmarked un-conventional police car and to keep an eye out for rare officers like you that use instant on in VA among other things.

Scratonicity Groupie

man I have goosebumps after seeing those pics! if you look the speedo is stuck on about 90khms, with the tach on 2K. If I where to take an educated guess I would say he was going about 140khms when he relized things where about to go south then locked it up. I did not see any tire skids though so maybe it was just a sweeping turn and someone cut him off, or there was oil on the road it was wet etc.

man those images are so scarey. I have been in one wreck in my life when I hit a deer at 55mph, then slammed into a electric pole at around 25 - 35mph I dont know its all hazey but the airbags did not deploy, with the front left of my car.

That one moment in my life made me relize someone was looking out for me upstairs because I truely belive I should of died. I walked out of the car wondering what the heck was going on, covered in blood from I guess the deer caused me to freak out even more. But at the end of the day I had a minor minor cut on my knuckle.

Stamp its images like those that will always keep me on the track. If your gut tells you something is not right, then LISTEN!

My roommate drives like a lunatic and its images like these that will hopefully help me convince him to slow down.

Power User

It's nascar there's no skill required you just go around in circles! You wanna see skill click on the link and watch the vid especially the end! :wink:
    http://www.allmotorlink.com/galli_video/gigi_6.wmv

Here's another, oldie but a goodie! Walter Rohrl
    http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...uattro&pl=true