Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Water Spots

Professional

Default Water Spots

Gents, I have water spots all over my black truck. They are in the clear coat and I have tried everything to get them out. I have tried buffing it with rubbing compound but nothing.

I live where the water is super hard and is filled with clorine. I dry my truck every time I wash it but there is nothing I can do. I have used the most expensive waxes from Mcguires but nothing.

Any suggestions?

Advanced Member

50-50 Vinegar and water. If that doesn't do it, you'll have to step up to a coarser compound. I like to start with 3M PERFECT-IT II Fine Cut Rubbing Compound. If you're not using a buffer it will take a lot of elbow grease though...

Professional

That vinegar mix will strip all the current wax off there correct? Also...do you put it on the vehicle using a wash mit as you would when washing your vehicle with soap

I do have a buffer but it is a crappy autozone one that works horrible

Advanced Member

Yeah, the vinegar mix will strip off the current wax that is on there. If you can, put it into a spray bottle and then spray one a section at a time, let it sit for maybe 15-30 sec or so, then wipe off with a cotton towel etc, might take a little rubbing.

Try it on a small area first to see if it the vinegar is going to do the trick.

When you're done, you should wash the vehicle like normal to get rid of and residue left from the vinegar...

Professional

Alright Jim. Appreciate the help. I have heard of the vinegar trick but was always concerned that it may hurt my clear coat. I'll give her a whirl

Power User

Are you sure it is chlorinated hard water, it sound the opposite, like soft water with other addatives, sounds like sulfur well water or water from a recovery source with other polutents, lawn chemicals maybe? Was this from sprinklers? Have you tryied Meguries step one paint cleaner, wipe on, let sit for minute, buff out, worked wonders for me. Rewax afterwards obviously.

Yoda of Radar

Quote Originally Posted by amoney
    Are you sure it is chlorinated hard water, it sound the opposite, like soft water with other addatives, sounds like sulfur well water or water from a recovery source with other polutents, lawn chemicals maybe?
    X2, Normally addatives such as chlorine (or the cheaper Na treated) water are know as soft water,since they are expensively refined and treated, and other water is hard water.

A side note... you dont wash or wax your car when its sunny out at all right? I mean I know its a dumb question, but you would be shocked how many people wash their cars in the sun.

Professional

Are you sure it is chlorinated hard water, it sound the opposite, like soft water with other addatives, sounds like sulfur well water or water from a recovery source with other polutents, lawn chemicals maybe? Was this from sprinklers? Have you tryied Meguries step one paint cleaner, wipe on, let sit for minute, buff out, worked wonders for me. Rewax afterwards obviously.
    The water is not from a well. It is from water towers here on post. But I believe it is just the rain fall down here that makes it so bad. I have tried all of that. Step 1,2, and 3 from Mcguires because I have always loved em but nothing

Professional

Quote Originally Posted by AirMoore
    Are you sure it is chlorinated hard water, it sound the opposite, like soft water with other addatives, sounds like sulfur well water or water from a recovery source with other polutents, lawn chemicals maybe?
    X2, Normally addatives such as chlorine (or the cheaper Na treated) water are know as soft water,since they are expensively refined and treated, and other water is hard water.

A side note... you dont wash or wax your car when its sunny out at all right? I mean I know its a dumb question, but you would be shocked how many people wash their cars in the sun.
    man...no I don't wash or wax my Black truck in the Louisiana sun. That is an insult of my intelligence. LOL. But seriously no I have never done this. But in Louisiana it likes to rain hard then clear up and be sunny and hot as hell. I will not dry my truck after the rain shower because it is normally dirty and I don't want to scratch it up

Good Citizen

Not sure if this will help, but have you tried spraying the car down with degreaser, then washing it?