Professional

Default Car Audio Problems.....HELP!

I have a flip-down screen in my roof...

The video feed from my DVD player under the left rear passenger seat is superb....

But I cannot for the life of me get the f*^#$%*g sound to work. I know there is an FM transmitter that transmits at 100.9 FM because when the unit is on, 100.9 is silent, no static no nada, and when the unit is off, there is a radio station playing music. I'm a complete newb when it comes to car audio so please bare with me ops:

The person who had the truck before me did a very messy install with wires and s*#t everwhere. I have no idea where to start looking for a loose connection. I've tried everything under the sun to get the audio working through audio menus on the DVD player itself and on the flip down as well. I think it has to be a loose wire.....but hey, I wouldn't know. I have some marginal pics for your expert eyes, I hope they can be of some help.

Professional

Its a matter of narrowing down and eliminating sources of problems.

Assuming ALL the door speakers have no sound, we can eliminate the door speaker wires being loose at the speaker itself, unless someone yanked all the speaker cables from the speakers themselves.

So follow the speaker wires to the amplifier. From the amplifier, make sure it has power, and then trace the wires to the head unit. Make sure all wires are solid.

Try putting a tape or CD or whatever the head unit has directly and play sound from the head unit direct, to eliminate the FM transmitter as being the point of problem.

If that doesn't work, try plugging a door speaker DIRECT into the head unit, by-passing the amplifier completely, and see if you get sound. If you do, the amp is the problem, if not, the head unit is the problem.

That should help u narrow down problems.

Radar Fanatic

Texas- does your headunit have a aux input on it? basically a place that looks like you could plug in an mp3 or a set of headphones.

Professional

I'll have to look, I'm not sure.

Radar Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by TexasRed
    I'll have to look, I'm not sure.

if it does, theres a cable that you can pick up at Circuit City, best buy, whereever, that turns those two audio cables (the red and white ones)(shown) into that kind of jack. just connect it to those two cables, plug it into the head unit, and then you may have to select 'aux' on the head unit, and then you should be fine.

Power User

Quote Originally Posted by A-TownNavi
    Texas- does your headunit have a aux input on it? basically a place that looks like you could plug in an mp3 or a set of headphones.
    or maybe a plug out in a corner of it where a CD changer might plug in (avilable on select models made by most big name brands: Alpine*, Pioneer, Kenwood, etc.), in that case you could go out to a big electronics retailer and get an aux port adapter thingy and run it that way.

*note that Alpine uses 2 types of ports first you have to identify the right type you're looking for

Banned

It maybe your ground...

Assuming that your ground is that wire with electrical tape on it!

Experienced

Quote Originally Posted by Ford_Focus_05
    It maybe your ground...

Assuming that your ground is that wire with electrical tape on it!
    its either that or you have one of your sound wires touching some where only other suggestion is see if you cant try a diff radio freq.

Professional

thanks for all the replies, i think I may have found the culprit. there is an air conditioning panel back there that i never realized had some audio controls, when I get the will power to get out of this chair and into the 101 degree heat, I may fix it