Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Radar Fanatic

Default motorcycle questions

Im sick of filling my car up with these outrageous prices and have decided against the audi (for now). I think I want to get a street bike, however I know nothing about them and I dont want to die my first week out there. Can someone recomend a cheap, reliable, quick learner bike?

Yoda of Radar

Well, don't go out and buy a litre bike Get something slow and faggy

/edit/ but me, I would go and buy a litre bike... forget anything about "better gas milage"

Radar Fanatic

I was thinking a honda fit minus 2 wheels but it may be too slow.

Yoda of Radar

Quote Originally Posted by DogGod
    I was thinking a honda fit minus 2 wheels but it may be too slow.
    Not knowing anything about you or your riding skills... my suggestion would be anything you get, get a 500cc or less... and Sportbikes only a 250cc (Such as the 250cc Ninja). Also... take some time to take a MSF Course (Motorcycle Safety Foundation), it will teach you some skills you need, gain you confidence, and get you hooked on the correct gear. Just find one in your area.

Now I saw get a 500cc or less for your first bike because: Well riding a bike takes skills, unlike being in a car as a 'driver', and you should learn to develop them, not to mention the fact they (often get) better mileage-being smaller bikes and all.

BTW: Most any bikes these days arent 'slow'... For example the 250Ninja Sportbike hits the 1/4mile in about 14.25seconds with a light and skilled rider... which is about ~1/2 second to a full second faster then most average cars, if not moore... and can still get 60+MPG to boot.

Radar Fanatic

I wasnt planning on a 1300cc beast for my first bike, seeing how I dont want to die. A friend of mine went to take his motorcycle licence test and they had a manditory safty class, sounds like what you are talking about. Are the ninjas good all around bikes, I dont want something that I will have to repair alot. Thanks for the info.

Yoda of Radar

Quote Originally Posted by DogGod
    I wasnt planning on a 1300cc beast for my first bike, seeing how I dont want to die. A friend of mine went to take his motorcycle licence test and they had a manditory safty class, sounds like what you are talking about. Are the ninjas good all around bikes, I dont want something that I will have to repair alot. Thanks for the info.
    Most certainly they are good bikes, (many people really recommened the 250 Ninjas as a first bike.. if you like the little sport look), because they are rather cheap to buy, they are fuel efficient, you can have a blast on them (without the severe punishment for the smallest mistakes)... aka they are *more* forgiving... no motorcycle is as forgiving as a cage though, so remember that... they dont cost a lot to repair (if needed), and have a reputation for lasting as a great learner bike (for many people) if treated and lubed correctly throughout their life-span.

Radar Fanatic

thanks air.

Newcomer

Radar Fanatic

http://www.carsoup.com/used/detail.a...arketID&Fltr=1

I found this last night. do you think a 600 will be to big? I rode a dirt bike once before it was a 400cc, are the street biked and dirt bikes diffrent with their engines. Will a 250cc road bike be as fast/quick as a 250cc dirt bike?

Also I checked the insureance, and it was $45 a month thats down from $180 a month, with the added gas mileage I could save a pretty penny.

Professional

If you are looking for that sport rocket spirit but really hate the fact u will be riding a 250 Get a 92-94ish CBR 600 F2 or F3. These bikes are super reliable and have great git up an go but not too too much. Easy to ride as well.

Never ever buy a new bike if never ridin before...not "well i drove a dirtbike when I was 12 so I should be fine"

And Air...I wish you were around so we could do some bikin together as no one down here owns a litre bike....that I know of anyway.