• Its Stupid, drop a Toyota engine in there

4 26.67%
  • Thats totally cool and should be done RIGHT NOW

0 0%
  • Not even possible/worth it

1 6.67%
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Power User

Default Crazy Idea.......... Feasible?????

Ok heres the deal, my crazy a$$ brother wants to replace the engine on his Celica because the 2ZZ in there is currently on the road to death, its gonna go, just a question of when............. which brings me to this:

He wants to drop a HONDA engine in there................ he was thinking maybe a JDM H22 ( ) or a JDM F20B, and possibly a K20A-S.......... and theres the possibility of a B18C since the thing is already a 1.8

now I think the whole thing is stupid............. whats your take on the thing????

Professional

ya know, if he wants to drop a honda engine into a toyota, i think he should buy a honda or get a new car, i used to have a 1994 honda del sol vtec and that car was crazy fast with the slick 5 speed :wink: my vote is drop the toyota and invest the time and money into another car

Yoda of Radar

If you're going through the trouble, just put a SAAB engine :wink:

It isn't that difficult, but keep in mind you have to fabricate a mounting system, transfer the wiring harness for the various computer controls and the engine, fit the gearbox somehow, mate up the CV shafts with one another, and also devise a shift linkage and get the clutch system to work properly. This is all very easy if you are putting a built 400 horsepower Chevy 383 into a 240 Z or a early 1980's Celica, and it's definately worth it :P But if you gain only a few horsepowers, well...

Lead Foot

There is nothing wrong with the toyota engines. Just get a new one, build it up, and turbo it. Cheaper, easier, and gooder.

Power User

Replies:

XRS9430: I agree completely, I kept telling him before he got the Celica and RIGHT NOW, to "Get a Honda", He doesnt like Civics because theyre too underpowered (Thus making a Del sol out too, I like that car, but he just calls it a wannabe MR2, in FF), Accords are ok with him but not the best (he thinks I4 lacks power, V6 eats too much gas, and theyre ALL expensive..... I agree on the last one only), he only likes the Prelude the most, good car, hard to find (He ONLY wants the 94+ Bodystyle), and he absolutely despises Integras, but might I point out he was minutes away from buying one , all in all I love my Acura so Honda is the way for me

SAS: Sounds like alot of work, maybe easy but itll take some serious amounts of time.............. arent Saab engines made to sit longitudinal????, those cars you listed were all FRs to my knowledge, this Celica is a FF......... BTW he's already faster than me, I dont want him getting any faster :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Kremit: This kid DOES NOT want another Toyota at all, mainly for the engines.......... I personally have nothing against them, dont exactly love um, but dont hate um either just looking at all the s**t my Dads Corolla has been through and the fact that it still runs is amazing to me......... after the mess he's going through with this 2ZZ-GE in the Celica now, he's not liking it at all........... he's dead set on a Honda engine unless the Toyota engine is either a 3S-GE/3S-GTE or a 4A-G (WHY!!!!!!!!, its LESS power)........ Gooder, I like that

His master plan was to put in the Honda engine and place all sorts of things all over the car, a windshield banner and some emblems for the back that say " Powered by Honda", those DOHC VTEC stickers for the rear quarter pannel (Refer to Civic SI, right in front of the Rear wheel, that sticker), and all sorts of other things that have nothing to do with Toyota and still keeping the Toyota badges on there............WHY!!!!!!!!!

Speed Demon

thats like dressing urself as a girl, even though your a man.

I would get a new car, although I would love a newer gts.

Tell him, no stickers! Or I'll kick my dog!

Experienced

toyota for the win.
    dont mix and match engines just buy a new car.

Lead Foot

first of all, why is his motor "on the road to death"? toyotas are reliable as hell so i am thinking it must be because of how he drives, in which case he would have no business owning a fast car.

but if he really insists on doing a motor swap, then he should keep in the family and get a 3SGTE. if yoy guys don't have emissions then he should import a 3rd GEN motor. they didn't come to the states so it won't pass visual inspection but it has a better head, better fuel system, and better turbo. i think stock they are around 225hp. with intake, exhaust, fuel pump, boost controller, and intercooler he can get to 300hp.

Power User

Quote Originally Posted by JonMR2V1
    first of all, why is his motor "on the road to death"? toyotas are reliable as hell so i am thinking it must be because of how he drives, in which case he would have no business owning a fast car.

but if he really insists on doing a motor swap, then he should keep in the family and get a 3SGTE. if yoy guys don't have emissions then he should import a 3rd GEN motor. they didn't come to the states so it won't pass visual inspection but it has a better head, better fuel system, and better turbo. i think stock they are around 225hp. with intake, exhaust, fuel pump, boost controller, and intercooler he can get to 300hp.
    JDM is always the way to go I agree, I believe that engine with the stock turbo was pushing somewhere closer to 250 but im not too sure

and I fully agree that most Toyotas are reliable to the ends of the earth, not quite at the level of Honda but DAMED good, looking at my dads Corolla with the 7A-FE every day just gets me thinking about that

this 2ZZ-GE is on said road because of a few things

First problem was misfiring, took it to the nearest Toyota Dealer, they couldnt pull a code so they reset the light (Invoice stated bad gas), 50 miles later of regular driving and its on again BACK to the dealer they pulled out misfiring and loss of compression on cylinders 1 and 3, they wanted to open it apart and see what was going on, but at 1500 bucks he said NO

If I had to take a stab at the original cause of this nonsense, id have to point at the crappy OFF-brand CAI that he bought, we just went to check the filter one day and we found the thing off the pipe!!!!!!!, so I say bad air may have done something to the cylinders or something to make them lose compression

he says that something got sucked into the eninge, and grinded against the cylinder, which then scratched it so that there can no longer be a complete seal.

Yoda of Radar

I'd find it weird to suddenly lose compression from running without an air filter for a while, unless something like a bolt got sucked in there, and you would KNOW if that happened.

How does the computer know anything about compression?