I did something really stupid on Saturday.
I was working on installing my M20, and I wired it pretty much directly to the battery. I had been messing with the wire before it was connected, and I thought I was done with it but, I decided to change something and forgot to disconnect it from the battery first. I disconnected it from the blinder switch and it pulled out of the fitting I had put on it, so it was just raw wire at the end. (It was like an extension cable.) I was pulling it out through the hole where the wires go into my door, but there was a rubber tube between it and the other wires. It shorted a piece of metal under my dash, and smoke was pouring out of my car. I decided that maybe I could just rip the (18 ga.) wire off the battery since I thought it was connected fairly loosely. It wasn't, and it was hotter than anything I've ever touched in my life. The insulation was already melted and ripped right off the copper; I burned all of my fingers and my thumb quite badly. It actually didn't even start hurting for about 15 minutes.
I live with my parents in a suburb of Greenville, SC, so we put ice on my hand and went to North Greenville Medical Center. (The doctors and nurses there are very nice.) They gave me some strong pain-killers,and wrapped my hand up, but they told me to go to the burn center in Augusta, GA Sunday morning, because the burn is on my hand, and it's really important that it heals right. (The doctors and nurses at the burn center are also very nice.) At the burn center they put me out to clean up my hand, and gave me more drugs (pain-killers and anti-biotics). I will have to go back to see them at least 2 more times over 2 weeks. I could be going back for up to a year depending on how things go, and I can't really use my left hand while it's wrapped up. They told me that it's hard to burn the palm of your hand that badly.
I really do know better than this. I just forgot to disconnect the wire and probably should've put another fuse closer to the battery. Then when the smoke started pouring out I just wanted to make it stop. I was lucky I didn't get shocked and that nothing was damaged on or in my car. The battery wasn't even dead. I'm not going to work on car electrical systems alone in the future. Two brains are better than one.
This is after "surgery." They put cadaver skin on it to act like a scab and to help it heal. Like I said I have to go back at least a few more times, and there's a chance that they will do grafts (hopefully not). There is an extra piece of gauze around my index finger because it was seeping.