Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Yoda of Radar

Default An Alarming Exhaust Note

I keep hearing alarms going off down my street from several cars. I found the culprit... a guy in a purple 90's Mustang GT with a modified exhaust (with a nice low burble) is setting off all these car alarms as he drives past

Speedtrap Crasher

On the weekends my town becomes absolutely infested with Harley Davidsons and it will kill your battery if you leave the car alarm on all night.

I loved Harley's sound until my second year down here on the coast now I think they're obnoxious.
    Project "BONES" Speed Lab:
    Valentine One, Blinder M47 "All Front Configuration"
    Pro97 Police Scanner
    1 Saves / 3 Strikes as of 8/22/2009
    Estimated saves in U.S. Dollars: $200

Radar Fanatic

i used to do this all the time with my Navi in parking decks . now i hop in my buddies 03 gt (has a Off-road H pipe and Flowmasters, its 2x as loud as my Navi is) and we go do the same thing. one time we were both in a parking deck and we had an exhaust war, we set off 11 car alarms . if you wanna know how loud his car is, go here and click the 3rd one down, http://www.mustangexhaust.com/forums...s.php?catid=14 its posted by me over there, A-townStang 8)

Power User

suffice it to say, my engine probably lacks the shear number of cylinders to pull something like that off............ then again I could try cutting it off right after the headers........... but thats still doubtful

Yoda of Radar

If you just removed the exhaust manifold maybe not, but if you put one of those fart-cans...

Seriously I don't know HOW they do it, but somehow they can make those little 1,6 putt-putts make more noise with a stock exhaust with a Folgers can welded on the end of the tailpipe make more noise than the engine would make without any sort of exhaust system whatsoever.

I drove my Saab once around the block when I had the entire exhaust system from the catalyst on back removed, and I also had a giant hole in the floor. So the end of the downpipe was visible to me in the driver's seat, pumping uncatalyzed exhaust at my face So very loud, but a nice burbly sound :twisted: You could hear the pop-pop-pop when cranking the engine over

Lead Foot

I'm running just a resonator on my car, and I get a good kick out of setting off car alarms! 8)

Good Citizen

my 84 celica had horrible exhaust, it was soo loud, not quite v8 status but it woke ppl in my house when i came home. so yea those 4 cyl can get pretty loud

Lead Foot

my MR2 with 3" downpipe and exhaust sets off alarms all the time. it's kind of loud but not ricer loud. i still hate it though. i have a nice quiet one on the way from japan.

and an exhaust doesn't necessarily have to be loud to set off an alarm. it just has to be able to hit the resonant frequency of the shock sensor, or whatever the shock sensor is attached to. when the sensor vibrates it goes off.

Power User

Quote Originally Posted by JonMR2V1
    my MR2 with 3" downpipe and exhaust sets off alarms all the time. it's kind of loud but not ricer loud. i still hate it though. i have a nice quiet one on the way from japan.

and an exhaust doesn't necessarily have to be loud to set off an alarm. it just has to be able to hit the resonant frequency of the shock sensor, or whatever the shock sensor is attached to. when the sensor vibrates it goes off.
    well its a Midship, its loud cuz its so short, if theres no silencing equipment strapped on there

Lead Foot

Quote Originally Posted by Arashi666
    Quote Originally Posted by JonMR2V1

well its a Midship, its loud cuz its so short, if theres no silencing equipment strapped on there
    true. it only has some generic muffler the previous owner put on.