Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gumball 3000

Radar Fanatic

Default Gumball 3000

First of i would like to start by saying that i would love to do some sort of organizied cross country race, but one that won't cost me 10 grand. If you know of one please let me know.

however browsing youtube i saw this clip from the gumball rally.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3C3U9kUI9GA&NR
    if you go to 2:48 you'll see what looks like a Cobra in the car. I thought that to enter that race you had to put a lot of money down. Do people really not get the good stuff when it comes to RDs?
    thanks

Lead Foot

most people in that race are soo rich that whatever the cops can through at them they can get around.

I personally don't really like the gumball rally, it doesnt really have the spirit of the orginal cannonballs. Which were protest against the national speed limit of 55, showing that drivers could indeed drive fast across the country and not get into a wreck. The Gumball 3000 is just another party for the rich.

I would totally love to do a rally though.

Yoda of Radar

Yeah, Gumball has lost it's spirit. Cannonball Run / 1 Lap still has a bit left.

Lead Foot

Can't remember when the first Gumball was held. There was a movie made in 1977 aptly called The Gumball Rally. I know the Cannonball run had a movie made about it later.

It really looks so phoney and commercial now. A bunch of poseurs who just want to look cool but don't have the faintest idea how to drive, don't frequent websites like this one (hence the Cobra RD) and just turn all the grassroots racers off. I mean, Tony Hawk? C'mon. "Just bought this new Viper..." :roll:

The problem with transcontinental road races is that traffic laws have become draconian. You will have your license confiscated on the spot if they catch you road racing at over 100mph in some places.

I remember movies like Vanishing Point, Dirty Mary Crazy Larry, and Smokey and the Bandit. They were all echoes of a rebellion against over-enforcement by traffic police in the 1970s. There was a feeling that our freedom to roam rural open roads at any speed was fading. The real problem is the roads were getting more crowded and accidents were on the rise, and that justified ridiculous speed limits and highway tax collecting.

The Gumball and the Cannonball were part of that. Can it be done with the same spirit today? Probably, in the right place at the right time. But it should be done with hardcore underground racers, not on a big open stage with the police watching.

I would call it The Transcontinental Road Race. Or, the Thunderground Transcontinental. Rule #1, you have to have owned your sportscar for at least two years. That will keep out the poseurs and joyriders. :wink:

Radar Fanatic

def a cobra... btw tony said dodge let them borrow it or something another

Lead Foot

There are still some smaller modern day 'cannonball runs' that cater to people who dont quite have as much money as celebrity races like the Gumball 3000; however the people who race in them i thing have lost the reason why they race in these races, to protest the speed limit.

Radar Fanatic

There is one that is called the AKA rally I believe the entrance is 3k for 2 drivers over 21. I am pretty sure my friend and I are going next year if we can get the funds together.

Radar Fanatic

That would be cool, but to do in all..... but why spend the $3,000 on it when you could just drive with them but not be a part of it????

Advanced Member

Guys most gumballers accept their ticket and got from there, but there are a couple cars that are extremely well equipped. Some cars have enough balls where they can out run the cops. 8)
    Alex Roy has got a Stealth M5
    http://www.speedsportlife.com/dubspe...am-polizei-m5/
    Torquenstein has a great stealth Ford GT
    http://www.torquenstein.net/technology.htm
    But lets continue this conversation in the 'Car Talk' section

Spoiler: show

Radar Detectors-V1 & BEL v995
    Laser Jammer-Laser Interceptor Quad
    GPS Camera Locator-Cheetah C100
    GPS Nav-Garmin nuvi w/Trapster
    CB Radio-Galaxy DX-949 w/Wilson 500
    Scanner-RS Pro-96

Lead Foot

Quote Originally Posted by crazyVOLVOrob
    Guys most gumballers accept their ticket and got from there, but there are a couple cars that are extremely well equipped. Some cars have enough balls where they can out run the cops. 8)
    Alex Roy has got a Stealth M5
    http://www.speedsportlife.com/dubspe...am-polizei-m5/
    Torquenstein has a great stealth Ford GT
    http://www.torquenstein.net/technology.htm
    But lets continue this conversation in the 'Car Talk' section
    Both cars use the V1, that should give some ammo to the zombies (i may well soon be one).

On the Ford GT i found this interesting ...

MIRT

Mobile Infrared Transmitter- [b]Gumball is normally sanctioned by the countries we are traveling through[/b]. Therefore in order to increase safety and our rally times, we run a Stealth MIRT (Mobile Infrared Transmitter) in order to change the traffic lights from red to green. Not many countries use this technology so normally we see no benefit and have to rely HEAVILY on good spotting, hand signals, flashing lights, and a very loud siren to clear intersections and let others know of our presence,

I have never heard of Gumball being sanctioned ... usually atleast one country or jusristriction boarder threatens to impound gumballer cars if they cross it. I Dont Know lol.

I also found the K band drone funny.