Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Another reason why Audi Quattro is the best AWD (VID)

Again there is no comparison to Quattro, Audi All Wheel Drive.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...g+videos&hl=en

Advanced Member

Lets see the first company really to perfect AWD was Audi in their rally cars? Am I right? I am not surprised at the results then....

I would like to see a subaru legacy versus an a4/a6 quarttro though. Subaru is quite good at AWD from what I driven

Spoiler: show

Radar Detectors-V1 & BEL v995
    Laser Jammer-Laser Interceptor Quad
    GPS Camera Locator-Cheetah C100
    GPS Nav-Garmin nuvi w/Trapster
    CB Radio-Galaxy DX-949 w/Wilson 500
    Scanner-RS Pro-96

you would be right. I would still pick the Quattro Torsen System over any AWD out there. Audi's system is proven on the offroad and on the race tracks.

Power User

Quattro is nice, but I dont like 4WD in general, too big, chunky and torque robbing........... but IMO Audi Quattro is over used, I mean they put it on everything, even a little bitty TT........... WHY!?!?!?!?!?!?!?

and as for Audi cars............ you can find me in my Murcielago.......... in a few...... decades........ maybe :cry:

Radar Fanatic

Ok, let's see. Audi sets this course up on a snowy slope, then everyone drives up and gets measured. WTF does this prove exactly, besides nothing? Put on 4 BF Goodridges any 4X4 and you'll get the same result me thinks but i'm a motorcycle man, not a tin-toppa' :roll:
    RR

Power User

Quote Originally Posted by RadarRick
    Ok, let's see. Audi sets this course up on a snowy slope, then everyone drives up and gets measured. WTF does this prove exactly, besides nothing? Put on 4 BF Goodridges any 4X4 and you'll get the same result me thinks but i'm a motorcycle man, not a tin-toppa' :roll:
    RR

You and your Yamaha :roll: :roll:

but I guess I can see your point on the other stuff

Old Timer

Wow, that Volvo went pretty far for being so low on the ground...

4x4 and the concept of AWD are 2 different things. In a Suv that has 4x4 it can only go so fast (around 40-55mph) before it ripped it gears out and destroys itself. Audi Quattro (AWD) has a TORSEN (Torqe Senseing) and its working and at a 50/50 power to grip split. The new Audi's are are 40/60 split. Basically the Quattro System will send power to the the wheel's or wheel that needs it go give it grip. I have been up hills using my audi quattro and suv's tried to follow...well they slid down the hill and ran into some cars. Quattro is 1 on the mail selling points to a Audi becuase it is the best in the world and Audi owners tend to not park their Audi's in the garage when it raining, downpoaring or heaving snow arrives. I have also been on the roads with very heavy snow and the suv's cant get traction because all there tires are moving at the same time and they just spin. I just smile and say "Quattro". I could have gotten very specific on the inner working's of Quattro but I have typed enough on this topic and Im goin to drive my Audi Quattro...I miss her.

Power User

its almost as if you worship Quattro as a god or something....... oh well, not my problem

My friend's dad has a Subaru Legacy and he was saying the same thing, all the big SUVs around him couldnt break the snow, while him and an Impreza were plowin through the stuff easily......... I do admit that AWD is superior to 4WD in most aspects and all that............. Japan (Specificlly Nissan) has a similar system and it does its job DAMED WELL, its called the ATTESSA-ETS, and it can be found on Skyline GT-Rs

Professional

hey audi how do they manage 40/60 distribution. I too like AWD and i'm pretty familiar with the mitsu evo 8 TC. They don't use torsen center diff but instead it's controlled electronically through clutch packs. Basically when braking it acts as a open diff then when full throttle both axles are locked they can also allow a little bit of slip depending on what the conditions are and what mode you're in (tarmac, gravel or snow)