Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Chip+CAI?

Old Timer

I was bored. Finally got the Sniper tuning to work(had to replace the box). Have to run on 93 octane, and have set to Firm shifting. There is a noticable pick up difference, but nothing drastic. Bleh, I thought it was fun

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NTG2KTln0ic

Old Timer

Nice soundtrack! Yes, I like my cars to sound like cars.

So, about a high-eight to nine-second 0-60 time, without brake-torquing, right? Not bad at all for a vehicle that size!

I wonder about two things:

(1) What happens if you do brake-torque. What's the stall-speed on your converter? Do you have a tranny cooler?

(2) I couldn't see this well on the vid. - what's your engine redline? Is the slushbox shifting well before the readline, and if so, could you manually shift the vehicle?

Old Timer

Looking at the programmer, I found out I flashed the incorrect program in :?
    I had it to where the rev limiter kicked in 200 earlier than the shift point. According to someone on the Expo forum, my engine's powerband can go all the way to 5200 rpm, or so. In the video, it shifted at 5000 (an improvement over the stock 4800 shift point).

Yea, there was no torque braking(I'm assuming you mean pushing poth the brake and gas at the same time?) I try not to do that anymore ever since my brakes started squeaking again.(Just changed them a couple months ago.)

I could manually shift, but I was reccommended to not do it because apparently there is an issue with the ECU and computer to where there is a huge spike in the pressure or something like that(and I could break something :P )

The 0-60 time seems to be and improvement of about half a second or so using (I think it was) Motortrend's 0-60 time of 9.4 secs for a 4.6.

I'll prolly make another video with power braking to see if there is a difference.

Old Timer

Quote Originally Posted by ELVATO
    Looking at the programmer, I found out I flashed the incorrect program in :?
    I had it to where the rev limiter kicked in 200 earlier than the shift point. According to someone on the Expo forum, my engine's powerband can go all the way to 5200 rpm, or so. In the video, it shifted at 5000 (an improvement over the stock 4800 shift point).
    Cool - good to know you can go even higher - just be sure it's not taking you out of best powerband, and that you're not taxing your engine with more revs for minimal gains.

Yea, there was no torque braking(I'm assuming you mean pushing poth the brake and gas at the same time?) I try not to do that anymore ever since my brakes started squeaking again.(Just changed them a couple months ago.)
    Squeaking brakes can mean several things - many times, it could just be pad deposits - see if you can't eliminate it by *gently* dragging your brakes while you're moving at highway speeds, for about a second or two. The heat generated should burn-off the uneven deposits. This may need to be re-applied from time to time, as even normal brake use will generate such deposits on the rotor. Alternatively, it could be simple brake-dust issues.

But yes, in any case, yes, torque-braking is indeed locking-up your brakes, while giving the go-pedal full-throttle, in anticipation for a quick take-off. This places great load on your transmission, and repeated (i.e. one after the other) runs of this nature is not recommended - but an occasional test or two, while allowing plenty of time for your tranny fluid to cool off, won't necessarily place any additional demands on the drivetrain.

I could manually shift, but I was reccommended to not do it because apparently there is an issue with the ECU and computer to where there is a huge spike in the pressure or something like that(and I could break something :P )
    Gotcha. Good to know!

The 0-60 time seems to be and improvement of about half a second or so using (I think it was) Motortrend's 0-60 time of 9.4 secs for a 4.6.
    ^ That's really good!

Since you're going to test power-braking take-offs, again, use caution that you don't do too many, especially back-to-back, if you don't have a tranny cooler.

Also, look around on your enthusiast Forums, see if anyone has any specific recommendations as to how you should be power/torque-braking. For example, in some vehicles, in order to achieve peak stall speeds, the vehicle needs to first be slotted into neutral (or some other "routine" performed), and then a forward gear re-engaged.

Have fun, and be safe!