Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Oil question

Radar Fanatic

Default Oil question

Quick question about motor oil.

Do you guys think it's better to run regular petroleum oil for 3,000 miles or to run full synthetic oil for 5,000 miles?

Old Timer

Apparently, full synthetic should last more like 10k-15k. Maybe even 25k?

Radar Fanatic

Default Re: Oil question

Quote Originally Posted by compu44
    Quick question about motor oil.

Do you guys think it's better to run regular petroleum oil for 3,000 miles or to run full synthetic oil for 5,000 miles?
    Really depends on your engines condition and age. Full synthetics are so bloody good now, even the semi-syn for that matter, you can't go wrong with 'em. For an every day car, it's just a waste of money in day to day run-a-bouts, IMHO :wink:
    At the end of the day, how much do you love your car ? And how much do you want to spend? Any clean oil is good, if changed regular enough What sort of car do you drive and how hard do you drive it?
    RR

Yoda of Radar

I'd probably say the dino oil but a 3k oil change interval seems excessive. Mind you AFAIK the Toyota V6's around your year did have some oil sludge issues. I'd probably use synthetic and change at the factory interval minus say 5%.

Radar Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by SmaartAasSaabr
    I'd probably say the dino oil but a 3k oil change interval seems excessive. Mind you AFAIK the Toyota V6's around your year did have some oil sludge issues. I'd probably use synthetic and change at the factory interval minus say 5%.
    I do know that my engine was one of the sludgey ones. I got a mailing about a class action suit a few weeks ago. Has an 8-year unlimited mile warranty for sludge now.

Factory change interval in the book is 7,500 miles. That's with standard oil. Says 5,000 for severe duty use. I think the 7,500 miles interval just might be the cause of the sludging, but that's just me. Seems like a *really* long time to be running oil.

Yoda of Radar

7 500 miles on it's own won't cause sludging. But coupled with a poor design of something (eg PCV system) then it does. But if you have an 8 year warranty, I'd be tempted to just drain the oil and make the engine blow up and get a new one

Radar Fanatic

Default Re: Oil question

Quote Originally Posted by RadarRick
    At the end of the day, how much do you love your car ? And how much do you want to spend? Any clean oil is good, if changed regular enough What sort of car do you drive and how hard do you drive it?
    RR
    I like my car very much.

It's about double the money for synthetic but I would think 2,000 miles more and the possibility of better protection of the engine would be worth it, if it it protecting the engine better.

The car is my sig car, 2001 Camry with a 3.0 V6, and it sees the upper end of the tach quite regularly.

Radar Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by SmaartAasSaabr
    7 500 miles on it's own won't cause sludging. But coupled with a poor design of something (eg PCV system) then it does. But if you have an 8 year warranty, I'd be tempted to just drain the oil and make the engine blow up and get a new one
    I'd thought about it, but everything is working so well right now, I wouldn't want to chance just getting repair instead of a new engine. It only has 57,000 miles on it so far, so it should be in pretty good shape.

What was the final word on what was actually causing the sludging?

Yoda of Radar

Dunno. On the Saab's with sludging issues (recent ones), the problem is the PCV system cannot cope with the increased blow-by due to the low-friction piston rings. The new revision of PCV should fix the issue. But also, the 10 000 mile oil change interval on the cars and requirement of synthetic oil and that they are turbocharged, doesn't help. Owners go more than 10k, use cheap oil, etc.

Power User