Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    Professional

Default BMW M5 beats Ferrari F430 0-150

read it and weep fellas.

BMW has done the impossible.

http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/sho...8&postcount=47

Speed Demon

I noticed that the BMW has a limited top speed of 161, is that drag limited or limited by the computer chip?

Power User

If those are the actual times from 0-150 I could take em both and I think the main reason for the m5's 161 top speed is the fact that it's governed at that!! My car stock would hit a buck sixty.

I belive the ferrai's actual 0-62 is four flat.

Manufacturer

BiGeAsYgUy,

I believe that is [chip] limited. My understanding is that there has been an historical "gentlemen's" agreement between German auto makers to respect a self-imposed 155mph top-end.

Aftermarket tuners like Steve Dinan offer replacement chips which remove this restriction.

I have had my Dinan tweaked 540is to 168mph and it didn't break a sweat.

The M5 has a taller final drive which aids in [low-end] acceleration but limits top-end velocity.

Veil Guy 8)
    ALERT: Purchase the latest Veil G5 Direct from the Manufacturer or from one of our Authorized Dealers at the Veil Store.

Stay informed with the latest industry news and product reviews Veil Guy's Radar Detector Reviews.

Experience real-world encounters as they actually happened on the open road, from the pioneer of this bonafide real-world testing format. Visit Veil Guy's radar detector videos.

Socialize with the Veil Guy: Google+, Facebook

Speed Demon

Thanks VeilGuy.

Power User

Quote Originally Posted by The Veil Guy
    BiGeAsYgUy,

I believe that is [chip] limited. My understanding is that there has been an historical "gentlemen's" agreement between German auto makers to respect a self-imposed 155mph top-end.

Aftermarket tuners like Steve Dinan offer replacement chips which remove this restriction.

I have had my Dinan tweaked 540is to 168mph and it didn't break a sweat.

The M5 has a taller final drive which aids in [low-end] acceleration but limits top-end velocity.

Veil Guy 8)
    Is your 540is manual or auto??

$125,000 for the Ferrari?

I'd rather have this:

SL65 AMG

A limited production supercar, the SL65 AMG features the most powerful Mercedes-Benz engine ever in a passenger car.

Its 6.0 liter twin-turbocharged V-12 delivers over-the-top power and performance, sending the SL65 AMG from 0-60 in a mind-numbing 4.2 seconds.

The engine, capable of 604 hp and 738 lb-ft of torque, features a high-strength, balanced forged steel crankshaft, with high-performance main and connecting rod bearings and forged aluminum AMG pistons, high-capacity fuel injectors with enlarged nozzles and a low temperature high-capacity air-water intercooler.

A driver-adaptive AMG SpeedShift™ 5-speed automatic transmission translates the SL65 AMG's power to the road, featuring a locking torque converter and 35% faster shifting. AMG racing-derived compound brake with 15.4” front and 13.7” rear rotors, 19” composite wheels and dual sport exhaust system with quad chrome tailpipes add to the total performance picture.

Power User

Blazin Trav wrote

Its 6.0 liter twin-turbocharged V-12 delivers over-the-top power and performance, sending the SL65 AMG from 0-60 in a mind-numbing 4.2 seconds.

I belive the 0-60 is a little quicker than 4.2 a bone stock 405 horse z06 vette run 0-60 in 3.9 and $125k for the ferarri multiply that by two and mabey.

Manufacturer

holein1,

Slushboxed. I would have liked the stick, but my wife needed accessibility to at least one of my vehicles. :wink:

It interesting because the stock 540is w/stick has a taller final drive which means that the 540ias actually is faster, while the manual version is quicker.

Veil Guy 8)
    ALERT: Purchase the latest Veil G5 Direct from the Manufacturer or from one of our Authorized Dealers at the Veil Store.

Stay informed with the latest industry news and product reviews Veil Guy's Radar Detector Reviews.

Experience real-world encounters as they actually happened on the open road, from the pioneer of this bonafide real-world testing format. Visit Veil Guy's radar detector videos.

Socialize with the Veil Guy: Google+, Facebook

Professional

Top Speed for the new E60 M5 is 205 mph. 161 is limited by BMW.. I can't wait to drive one :twisted: