Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Radar Fanatic

Default High-durability paint

Let's say someone wanted paint a chrome grille black. Let's further say that this someone wanted this paint job to stand up to the elements. What kind of paint would be good to use? Epoxy enamel? And any particular brand? I'd just buy a mesh grille but I don't really like the way they look. Volvo also made a black "egg-crate" grille that I like but I don't think that it would fit my opening.

Advanced Member

No matter what you use it will start "peeling" or "Flaking" very quickly.
    Paint does not adhere to Chrome very well.

Good Citizen

Chrome polish must be removed first with sand scraping and than it can be painted with paint.

Advanced Member

Quote Originally Posted by antilaser
    Chrome polish must be removed first with sand scraping and than it can be painted with any kind of paint.
    I worked in the Collision Repair business for years......painting chrome grilles doesn't work......sorry.
    The "Prep time" alone will cost as much as a new or aftermarket grille.

Radar Fanatic

Clearly, it would have to be extensively prepared. Already know that. All I need is opinions on what kind of paint will hold up to things like sand and other small road debris. Putting in the time to get it ready to be painted is no big deal to me.

Power User

It really isn't a big deal I have access to a media blaster that made very short work of the chrome grill I have in my ford however you probably don't have access to one. Your alternatives are good old elbow grease and some heavy grit sand paper followed by finer grit sand paper or if you live near an auto body shop go and purchase a can of aircraft grade paint stripper the kind you have to mix with water not the one in the spray can I have used it on chrome before and it will take it off just not quite as fast as it does paint.

For paint I went with an all weather ultra flat black paint by krylon no primer just be sure you take a good wax & grease remover like ppg's dx 330 and give it a good wipe down it will remove any contaminates on the metal , the paint will last a long time just as long as you apply a couple of good coats and let it dry throughly mine has been on my car for eight month's and still look's as good as the day I painted it.

Good luck!! 8)

Power User

If you have a chrome grill your defiantly gonna want to change it to black police love chrome grills much easier to target with lidar!!!

And if you do decide to spray your grill with a bomb can/spray can be sure to get the can that has the light blue spray head you can adjust the spray pattern's on them the regular spray heads have a tendency to spatter!!

Advanced Member

First of all I assume the grille is plastic as 90% are. .
    So you are dealing with a chrome type plating on ABS Plastic. An "Aircaraft Striper" or any paint striper will destroy the grille. Don't use it !!!!!!!
    Your only option is sand it by hand.
    All paint finishes (that last) are appiled are appiled to the following manner.
    Proper Preparation, Proper Primer, paint applied and baked.
    There's your probalem, you can't bake the grille at a proper tempurature.
    If you are intent on painting your grille do steps 1 & 2.
    Then I would say buy a plastic paint like Krylon at the Home Depot.
    Good Luck.
    Your first Conn. winter will be the real test.
    I feel you'll be re-doing your grille every year or so.
    If you have any doubts ask a Collision repair shop in your area for advice.

Radar Fanatic

Thanks for the advice, guys. I'll give it my best shot and see how it goes. I mean, the worst case scenario is that I do it and it looks like crap, forcing me to purchase an aftermarket grill. Utter failure is a risk I'm willing to accept as long as I can say I learned something . Sandpaper and krylon it is.

Power User

Quote Originally Posted by the horn13
    First of all I assume the grille is plastic as 90% are. .
    So you are dealing with a chrome type plating on ABS Plastic. An "Aircaraft Striper" or any paint striper will destroy the grille. Don't use it !!!!!!!
    Your only option is sand it by hand.
    All paint finishes (that last) are appiled are appiled to the following manner.
    Proper Preparation, Proper Primer, paint applied and baked.
    There's your probalem, you can't bake the grille at a proper tempurature.
    If you are intent on painting your grille do steps 1 & 2.
    Then I would say buy a plastic paint like Krylon at the Home Depot.
    Good Luck.
    Your first Conn. winter will be the real test.
    I feel you'll be re-doing your grille every year or so.
    If you have any doubts ask a Collision repair shop in your area for advice.
    Well he said it was mesh so I thinking it's steel :roll: and as far as the stripper destroying the plastic no it will not!! dilute the mixture and only let sit for five to ten minutes until bubbling occurs, of course if you let it sit over night it will eat the crap out of it espically if it is full strenght. I have used stripper many many times on wood palstic and metal and have yet had it destroy anything just use a little common sence when using it :wink: