Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
    Experienced

Default Second best motor oil?

I think most people can agree that Mobil one is the best motor oil the average person can get their hands on, the question is what's second best not made by Mobil?

Radar Fanatic

I don't know what's factually the second best but I've been using Castrol GTX for years and it seems to work. I never see any signs of breakdown.

Power User

Yeah, Castrol would be my #2 pick.

Professional

The answer must be driven by the type of car, type of driving, accumulated miles on car, local climate, etc.

Trying to apply a "one size fits all" recommendation doesn't really work, IMO. There are way too many factors that need to be considered.

Radar Fanatic

Yeah, you don't want to switch to synthetic on an engine that's been run for a while on the regular stuff. It'll start leaking as soon as the embedded crud is cleaned away from the old seals.

Forgot that RedLine is supposed to make some really incredible synthetic oils. Expensive to buy and hard to find, though.

Manufacturer

Default BMW and...

I believe BMW has recommends (uses) Catrol motor-oil with their autos.

VG 8)
    ALERT: Purchase the latest Veil G5 Direct from the Manufacturer or from one of our Authorized Dealers at the Veil Store.

Stay informed with the latest industry news and product reviews Veil Guy's Radar Detector Reviews.

Experience real-world encounters as they actually happened on the open road, from the pioneer of this bonafide real-world testing format. Visit Veil Guy's radar detector videos.

Socialize with the Veil Guy: Google+, Facebook

Power User

Quote Originally Posted by nomore55
    The answer must be driven by the type of car, type of driving, accumulated miles on car, local climate, etc.

Trying to apply a "one size fits all" recommendation doesn't really work, IMO. There are way too many factors that need to be considered.

I do agree with you however what is even more important that most people overlook is changing their oil regularly, all engines suffer from blow by and over a period of time gasoline slowey seeps past the ring's and contaminates the oil thus thinning it out and changing the viscosity this is espically true with high milage vehicle's 75,000 +. If you stick with what is recommended from the vehicle manufacture and use a quality petroleum based oil like catrol gtx & change it on a regular basis you'll be fine paying eight or ten dollars for a quart of oil is just not necessary.

Radar Fanatic

My girlfriends ML430 has a little plaque that says to use only Mobil1. That beast also guzzles a quart every 500 miles (at least) and sounds like a thousand knives being sharpened on a cold start. I really don't trust that thing.

Newcomer

Quote Originally Posted by SmaartAasSaabr
    Note that there is a big oil sludging problem in modern cars from virtually every manufacturer,
    That is generally not the motor oil's fault if changed during regular intervals, but the engines PCV breather that fails after time.

Power User

Quote Originally Posted by SmaartAasSaabr
    Note that there is a big oil sludging problem in modern cars from virtually every manufacturer,
    Yes sludging or gelling of the oil can become a big problem but then again it really all comes down to vehicle maintenance.