• yes

2 16.67%
  • no

9 75.00%
  • yes but talk the down $$

1 8.33%
    Professional

Default would you buy this?

ok so i found a 1999 chevrolet silverado k2500 6.0 v8. it has 218000 highway miles and they are asking $5k for it. it would be used around town and going to school, and the routine cabin trips (250 miles each way) so what do you guys think? anyone own a silverado with a lot of miles.

Yoda of Radar

My '89 Chev has 353 000 km on the clock and it never has worked in my ownership of it. Never has failed me that truck (well once when the starter cable broke off. NEVER buy an automatic vehicle because when the starter craps out you are not going home!)

That '89 is running the 4.3 V6 and I regularly tow a 18 foot flatbed tandem axle car hauler with cars on it. Little motor but it sure holds its own.

My '91 GMC has 285 k miles on the clock too.

These trucks go forever. GM rules pickups :twisted: But really do you need a truck to go errands and stuff, I mean this is going to drink the fuel like no tomorrow. Gas powered truck seems dumb, I like diesel. Duramax is an awesome motor. But 5 grand! That's a deal.

Old Timer

Quote Originally Posted by SmaartAasSaabr
    My '89 Chev has 353 000 km on the clock and it never has worked in my ownership of it. Never has failed me that truck (well once when the starter cable broke off. NEVER buy an automatic vehicle because when the starter craps out you are not going home!)

That '89 is running the 4.3 V6 and I regularly tow a 18 foot flatbed tandem axle car hauler with cars on it. Little motor but it sure holds its own.

These trucks go forever. GM rules pickups :twisted: But really do you need a truck to go errands and stuff, I mean this is going to drink the fuel like no tomorrow. Gas powered truck seems dumb, I like diesel. Duramax is an awesome motor. But 5 grand! That's a deal.
    LOL
    But I agree, that 6.0 will drink lots of gas. I'm more of a Ford person, but I've heard good things about Chevy trucks.

Professional

true it would be thirsty, i'm just looking for a truck because i love them

Speed Demon

Default Re: would you buy this?

Quote Originally Posted by xrs9430
    ok so i found a 1999 chevrolet silverado k2500 6.0 v8. it has 218000 highway miles and they are asking $5k for it. it would be used around town and going to school, and the routine cabin trips (250 miles each way) so what do you guys think? anyone own a silverado with a lot of miles.
    miles end of story...

Radar Fanatic

How many fricken vehicles do you own?

Yoda of Radar

I have 10 but more like 15

Power User

I have 10 but more like 15
    Total value, $3,995!

Yoda of Radar

Yeah but if you factor in change under the seats it's more like $4k :P

Experienced

I wouldn't because of the high mileage.
    I had a 88 suburban that had around 200 K on the clock, towards the end of the time I owned it had 2 lifters that broke off and where bouncing around in the valve covers... So basically it was running on 7 cylinders but it still ran. 8) If your looking for a reliable domestic, I'd say go with a cummins diesel. I've seen them go to the 1 million mile mark on original turbo and internals. Occasional head gasket replacement and thats it.

EDIT: 5K sounds a little expensive, but that's my opinion.