Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Experienced

Default Brake Squeal hwo to solve?

Well I'm getting tired of the rear pads on my VW squealing, they starting doing so around 3 months after I installed them, clearly I did something wrong with the gel. The pads are clear carbon metal masters. They brake pretty good but the rears squeal under light preasure, the only way to not get them to squeal is to make hard stops which is not so good for the car.

Does anyone have any suggestions or experience with actually getting brakes to silence? The factor brakes were quiet as could be.

Power User

Default Re: Brake Squeal hwo to solve?

Quote Originally Posted by (in)Sanity
    Well I'm getting tired of the rear pads on my VW squealing, they starting doing so around 3 months after I installed them, clearly I did something wrong with the gel. The pads are clear carbon metal masters. They brake pretty good but the rears squeal under light preasure, the only way to not get them to squeal is to make hard stops which is not so good for the car.

Does anyone have any suggestions or experience with actually getting brakes to silence? The factor brakes were quiet as could be.
    Well did you install the shims and most pad kit's normally come with a little tube of goo that you apply to the back's of the pads or you can purchase a larger bottle at any automotive store, all the goo does is stop the pad from moving in the caliper that is normally the cause of squealing. And also be sure not to tough the rotor while installing if you do be sure to clean with a good brake cleaner!!

O and did you have the rotor's turned??

Manufacturer

You may want to try ceramic brake pads from the likes of Akebono.

Check out:

http://www.tirerack.com/brakes/brake...T+Ceramic+Pads

In my experience with high performace braking systems, metallic/blends can contribute to brake squeal as well as black rims. You may want to avoid such pad material and a ceramic/kevlar type pads may be the answer for you.

EBC makes Greenstuff - a Kevlar pad material with which I have also had success.

http://www.tirerack.com/brakes/brake...uff+brake+pads

Veil Guy 8)
    ALERT: Purchase the latest Veil G5 Direct from the Manufacturer or from one of our Authorized Dealers at the Veil Store.

Stay informed with the latest industry news and product reviews Veil Guy's Radar Detector Reviews.

Experience real-world encounters as they actually happened on the open road, from the pioneer of this bonafide real-world testing format. Visit Veil Guy's radar detector videos.

Socialize with the Veil Guy: Google+, Facebook

Power User

Another thing that will cause them to make noise is the wear indacator but since your pads are so new I really doubt that the problem.

Power User

Just stay away from raybestos pads or however it's spelled it's like using brick's for brake pad's their crap!!!

Power User

Quote Originally Posted by The Veil Guy
    You may want to try ceramic brake pads from the likes of Akebono.

Check out:

http://www.tirerack.com/brakes/brake...T+Ceramic+Pads

In my experience with high performace braking systems, metallic/blends can contribute to brake squeal as well as black rims. You may want to avoid such pad material and a ceramic/kevlar type pads may be the answer for you.

EBC makes Greenstuff - a Kevlar pad material with which I have also had success.

http://www.tirerack.com/brakes/brake...uff+brake+pads

Veil Guy 8)

Yes I use the ebc green's awsome pad's no squeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeel!!!

Experienced

Default Re: Brake Squeal hwo to solve?

Quote Originally Posted by holein1
    Quote Originally Posted by (in)Sanity

Well did you install the shims and most pad kit's normally come with a little tube of goo that you apply to the back's of the pads or you can purchase a larger bottle at any automotive store, all the goo does is stop the pad from moving in the caliper the is normally the cause of squealing. And also be sure not to tough the rotor while installing if you do be sure to clean with a good brake cleaner!!

O and did you have the rotor's turned??
    These pads didn't come with shims, I did however use the Goo. The factory pads didn't squeal at all and didn't have shims, they were however pretty much glued to the calipers.

These are the pads

http://www.autocarparts.com/parts/Axxis/

Professional

I used the AXXIS on my Avenger and I had the same problem even using the sticky stuff that came with the pads.

I have always used disc brake quiet from Permatex in the past on all my brakes and I was out of it at the time and just used the stuff that came with the pads.
    NEVER again will I be without disc brake quiet.

Try some and it should fix you right up!!

Another thing that may help to is to make sure you use a high temp lithium grease and lube the caliber slides, most people do not do this and this can cause just enough stickyness some times to cause this issue as well.

Experienced

Quote Originally Posted by boomerman
    I used the AXXIS on my Avenger and I had the same problem even using the sticky stuff that came with the pads.

I have always used disc brake quiet from Permatex in the past on all my brakes and I was out of it at the time and just used the stuff that came with the pads.

Another thing that may help to is to make sure you use a high temp lithium grease and lube the caliber slides, most people do not do this and this can cause just enough stickyness some times to cause this issue as well.
    Well my plan this weekend is to take them back off and try some other brake anti-squeal. The factory pads had a TON of it, pretty much glued to the calipers. I had raybestos pads on the car for about a week, I took them off and tossed them. They were total garbadge.

I also have to do all fours on the truck this weekend.

Power User

Quote Originally Posted by boomerman

Yes disc brake quiet couldn't remember the name it comes in about a 3to4 oz bottle kind of a orangish red color stuff work's wonders. Normally pad's do come with the shim's the ebc green's I got had em'.