Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Experienced

Default Cant roll start a standered?

My car, the starter is out of it as of today. It's a cavalier 2.2, usually I could get it to roll start but now I cant. For today some reason? I let it roll .5 miles down a hillside today at school down the highway on the side of the road and i had it in about 3rd and 4th sometimes 4th that is. It would not hit a lick, but when I used the starter this morning it would start easy. The starter bindex has been going out of it, so I usually roll start it when I can. Until today, its totally gone. So I have no way of starting it. I figured roll starting it would work but I have no idea. Its EFI so i have no idea, I mean if it was flooded it should've still hit a little right?

Yoda of Radar

Roll starting always works if the car isn't busted :wink: Usually I'd use 2nd gear... maybe you were going too slow :wink: :wink:

Experienced

I tried it in 1st, 2nd, 3rd, and 4th down a side of a mountain. It worked like a charm every other day, but today. This morning I had the same problem but I hit the starter a few times and it fired right up (whats left of it that is) This evening the starter completley shot, now it wont hit a lick. I have no idea what would make it not even fire now.

Radar Fanatic

4 cylinder?

Yoda of Radar

I normally say 2nd or 3rd (I prefer 3rd for both my bike and car personally)...

It should work as SAS said... if nothing else is broken.

Professional

Take a look at the negative battery cable, particularly where it bolts to the block. It sounds as if your starter and push start problems may be related. A poor ground can cause starter problems as well as other electrical issues with the motor.

Professional

Quote Originally Posted by Tsax444
    4 cylinder?
    2.2 man. Take a guess

Experienced

Yea its a 2.2 4 cylinder, and I figured it out on my own but thanks guys Where I hit the key switch so much because of the starter bindex not catching, I had to let off and hit it, let off and hit it. I burnt up my fuel pump, therefor when I tried to roll start it. Nothing happened, It didnt hit or anything because it wasnt getting any gas. So now not only do I have a fuel pump to buy, but I have a starter rebuild also

Stealthcb

A Cavalier 2.2L...you shouldn't need to start it. Just pedal hard and you'll hit it's max speed.

Seriously -- this sounds stupid, but was the engine flooded or perhaps out of gas?

Experienced

Full tank of gas, and i let it sit for 4 hours then went back tonight and tried again. Nothing, the fuel pump wasnt kicking it because i got up under my car and got a friend to turn the key on and I didnt hear it. so I think thats it.