Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Radar Fanatic

Default Happy Honda owners representing?

Sadly, my original plans to keep my S70 for another 50-100K miles are becoming less appealing. Every week, it seems, I have another reason not to trust it. I love working on cars but it gets old when it's my daily driver. Last night it was the headlights which, for the second time since I've owned the car, have started to flake out. Enough is enough. Once I get my get my career pointed in a better direction (hopefully within a year) I'm going to be looking into new transportation.

Right now I have my sights set on a new or new-ish Accord. Its styling suits me, and they have a stellar reputation as a top-notch sedan. I'd like to hear more from people who have actually owned them, though. Anybody here? More importantly, can anybody point me to a good technical forum that isn't saturated with teenagers who don't know a catalytic converter from a bell housing? Any info about that would be awesome!

Good Citizen

I once new a kid that swore my muffler fluid was low.

My first car was a 93 Accord and my mother owned it before me. We bought it new in October 1992. I'd say in 2001 it bit the dust with 113k on it from being rear ended. I miss that car very much and would have likely sold it to someone else who would have been just as happy when I was ready for new transportation that better fit my style as I grew older.

It was an LX 5spd 4cyl. At 113k when it was wrecked it still had the original clutch in it.. and that's after I learned how to drive a manual on it! No signs of slipping at all. The motor had no major work other than the head gasket which blew at about 100k because the PCV valve had been neglected and rusted closed. Also a new rotor and distributor cap. Beyond those repairs and general maintenance, it ran strong every day without fail.

I know the ones you are considering are several generations newer, but just to give you an idea that they were quality then and they are now. The newer ones are built just as well if not better. I'm very much a volkswagen fanataic now, but I would be proud to drive a Honda.

Yoda of Radar

Default Re: Happy Honda owners representing?

Quote Originally Posted by brick
    Right now I have my sights set on a new or new-ish Accord. Its styling suits me, and they have a stellar reputation as a top-notch sedan. I'd like to hear more from people who have actually owned them, though. Anybody here? More importantly, can anybody point me to a good technical forum that isn't saturated with teenagers who don't know a catalytic converter from a bell housing? Any info about that would be awesome!
    It's pretty reliable, but pretty much as reliable as a Camry... I'd much rather a Mazda 6, but I am really ticked about the very poor design of the last-gen 626 and am not convinced they have fixed that.

Or a Pontiac G6 GTP coming out soon, 245hp and 6-speed manual... that might be much nicer than an Accord. Accord is a very bland and boring car now... even the name... "Accord". Not a great name, not a bad name, everyone is in accord with that.

Maybe you're ready for a translation into the cool Swedish cars eh? prices on lease 9-5's are getting very low. Just make sure the oil's been changed.

Radar Fanatic

I'm not gonna lie, I was looking at Saab 9-3's on autotrader this morning. They're nice but I don't know that the reliability would be any better than what I'm driving now. I just can't deal with something breaking every time I turn around. After I wrote my original post I was driving home from work and my rear view mirror snapped off in my hand while I was adjusting it! It had been a little sticky for about the last year, but now it seems that the metal ball completely siezed and is so soft that it fractured right at the spindle. The whole assembly is sitting on my kitchen table with a piece of threaded steel rod and a good amount of J. B. Weld that's going to be setting up overnight. I don't even know if that's going to do me any good if I can't get the ball un-stuck. A new mirror assembly from Volvo costs over a hundred dollars. Unreal.

I originally thought that the Accord was boring, too. But I'm over it. Hell, the V6 version now puts out 240HP and still gets 30mpg on the highway. Nothing wrong with that! It doesn't have all of the electronic gizmos that modern luxury cars have, but I'm not even looking for a luxury car. I just want something that won't put a massive hole in my wallet (initially or through constant repairs over a probable decade of ownership), looks decent, and has enough power to get out of its own way. A manual transmission would be a definite plus.

Yoda of Radar

What about a Pontiac Grand Prix GTP? Lots of power, good looks, very reliable. 150k miles already and the only problems were the front valve cover gasket and the fuel pump resistor.

Mind you it's automatic only and from standard has a limiter pooping the party at 130mi/h. You can deprogram it though.

Plus, turns only 2000r/min at 75mi/h, so it gets very good milage, think highway numbers are 29... and that's 240hp / 280lb/ft and that's only so the tranny doesn't blow up.

Radar Fanatic

Test drove a black '02 Accord EX 5-spd Coupe today. So solid, so well-made, and so begging to come home with only 25k on the clock.

I drove a 5-spd RSX base, too. Also a very solid-feeling car for its size, but not as well equipped as the EX Accord. Peppy as all hell, though. The V1 would be doimg double duty in that thing.

I'm going back tomorrow to take a closer look if it stops pouring here. I may need to re-do that hardwire sooner than originally anticipated! And find a new way to justify calling myself "Brick" when I have no brick. So sad, and yet somehow not at all.

Advanced Member

how many miles on your S70? do you have a garage you can trust?

Don't know of any mechanical forums but you can try some of the volvo forums
    http://www.brickboard.com/
    http://volvospeed.com/vs_forum/index...b6ba3b86a4401&

Spoiler: show

Radar Detectors-V1 & BEL v995
    Laser Jammer-Laser Interceptor Quad
    GPS Camera Locator-Cheetah C100
    GPS Nav-Garmin nuvi w/Trapster
    CB Radio-Galaxy DX-949 w/Wilson 500
    Scanner-RS Pro-96

Radar Fanatic

It's only at 103k. I don't have a mechanic but it's not really an issue since I'm pretty savvy with broken cars (though I have no place to work on it here). I've been on the brickboard since my last car...I love that forum. Loads of good technical advice.

Thing is, it just isn't worth it to me anymore. I just don't have time to keep up with the myriad little things that go wrong with the car. Keeping it would certainly be more cost effective, at least for a little while. But the thing has stranded me once, (almost twice but I limped it home on the broken clutch), and that kind of thing would be a major hassle since I'm pretty much on my own here. (AAA is better had but not needed.)

On the less practical side of the equation, I've always liked the look of these 6th-generation accord coupes. I definitely wouldn't mind cruising around in that.

Power User

I got rid of my POS jetta manual 2.0 jetta.

I got a new 2003 accord lx V6. for the price I did not want the ex stuff, for that I would have gone into a BMW, but I did have a little room, so I got the V6.

The accord is totally different from past gen. the rid is much more, sedan, not a sporty pop feeling!

BUT, with my purchased I negotiated, besides a rear deck spoiler, I got factory honda 17" rims, with the NEW aspect ratio tires 50 series and can easily go 45, the car literaly WOKE UP!!!

It drive so bad a s s!!!

I love my setup.

The V6 is geared alittle conservative, meaning with the new extra 5th gear for better mpg, it hesitates to get into passing mode, BUT that can be easily overcome once you learn how to get it to go into gear when needing to pass.. or what I like to do, is just use the auto like a tiptronic, takes me back to my manual day, oh what fun, and still is fun today!

Its like literaly dropping the hammer... the car with its V6 just reacts instantly, and OH so smooth!

Had one recall item a transmision cooling line, but other than that 2 years and flawless.

reason for getting the V6 besides the obvious, dso my wife can drive, and sick of winding up the engine and burning out AC compressors.

Last note, the gas tank for my V6 is 17 gallons, has a 3-4 gallon reserve. Stop and go driving get 150 miles the first half of the tank, on the highway get 200 miles the first half of the tank.

Power User

Driving a car that's identical to a '97 Accord EX 4cyl 2dr running up to almost 100k, it's never let me down in the 2 years that i've owned it, just keep up with the general maintenance and you should be good to go... Also, the new Accord Hybrids come with a 255HP V6 i-VTEC (But it starts a $30,100 :roll:, $32k if you want the NAV system :shock: ).

I'm a proud Honda owner and a huge supporter of JDM cars in general (Except Toyotas) I enjoy the reliability and the simplicity of the whole thing, in that I can DIY all the general maintenance and some of the other things easily without reading the manual, unlike my Dad's Corolla and my Mom's Landcruiser where you need to know more or less what you're doing in advance