Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Professional

Default Dad wants me to get a WRX

So I am a big bimmer, VW, and porsche fan. I have really wanted either a VR6, m3, or something along those lines. Well my dad is complaining of insurance as usual and wants me to get a 4 door something.
    Earlear he was like why cant you just get a WRX?! And I was like are you serious? I'd definitly take one of those guys
    Well hey the more I look into them, I love all wheel drive, I love good gas mileage, I love the decent horsepower.. what's not to love? Any suggestion/comments? What you think about them or if you know anyone with one.
    I'm thinking of a 2004 becuase the modles before then look terrible and I HATE the bug eyes.

Stealthcb

I am considering the WRX TR Sedan to replace my 6S in time. But get it now before the ugly-ass 2008 models come out.

Old Timer

'04s/'05s should offer you good affordability/insurance, as well as good reliability/durability.

Just keep in mind that a lot of the drivers of these vehicles do tend to be younger and perhaps not as mechanically sympathetic as you'd like them to be - or, alternatively, some may have seen harsher usage than normal (and you might not know it from just looking at the vehicle, as it's routine to "return-to-stock"/de-mod before re-sale).

Know who you're buying the vehicle from, know the vehicle's history, and by all means, take along someone with you who knows those vehicles, and can do a visual check as well as test-drive for you to see if there's anything awry.

Professional

Pay your own insurance and you won't have to worry about what dad says.

Professional

Quote Originally Posted by JeepinJeff
    Pay your own insurance and you won't have to worry about what dad says.
    Already told him that one, plus id be paying the car off monthly because I work two jobs and can indeed afford it.

Professional

Quote Originally Posted by TSi+WRX
    '04s/'05s should offer you good affordability/insurance, as well as good reliability/durability.

Just keep in mind that a lot of the drivers of these vehicles do tend to be younger and perhaps not as mechanically sympathetic as you'd like them to be - or, alternatively, some may have seen harsher usage than normal (and you might not know it from just looking at the vehicle, as it's routine to "return-to-stock"/de-mod before re-sale).

Know who you're buying the vehicle from, know the vehicle's history, and by all means, take along someone with you who knows those vehicles, and can do a visual check as well as test-drive for you to see if there's anything awry.

I am friends with all the local car kids who like to meet up, and they know everything there is to know. True when you say they have been own by younger kids to like to beat them up, i am looking for an adult owned if that's possible. My buddy just got rid of his which he loves but wanted a bike and whenever I rode with him I was impressed he would almost never floor it and that's now for sale not too far from here so I am considering that one.
    affordability/insurance, as well as good reliability/durability.
    that's what I'm looking for. I hear the WRX goes under as an impreza so one of my friends is 1100 a year, the other 1500. And for my car I am driving now Im paying over 2000 and it's an old v6 so this is 100% to my benefit anyway!!

Old Timer

Quote Originally Posted by maskellxx
    I hear the WRX goes under as an impreza....
    I honestly don't know about this one, as both the wifey and I are in an age bracket where this doesn't matter anymore.... ops:

Give your insurance company a call, just to make sure.

Professional

I hear the WRX goes under as an impreza....
    I honestly don't know about this one, as both the wifey and I are in an age bracket where this doesn't matter anymore.... ops:

noooooo

Radar Fanatic

Reliability dramas and people love to steal them. They brake gear boxes way too easy, apparently :?
    RR

Old Timer

noooooo
    ^ Why not?

It's not like they're going to jack you "just because." That's just plain silly.

Get the VINs of a comparable NA Impreza and a WRX (many on-line ads, either in AutoTrader or Craigslist, or even eBay, list the vehicle's VIN number publically so that its records may be verified - use this to your advantage), and let them run it through their systems. It'll only take you a few minutes, and then you can confirm whether this theory truly holds water.

Alternatively, get the VINs, and call a competing company to ask for a quote.

Insurance companies aren't out to get you - they're there to try to make money, and part of that is writing a fair and good policy for you.

If you don't call now, how are you going to know you're going to get the best rates?

Besides, you can show your parents that you're more responsible - take it upon yourself to do this research. Instead of using that time to read these Forums, you could easily get quotes from many different companies.

Show your parents that even before you're getting the car, you're going to care for it.