Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best car alarm?

Newcomer

Default Best car alarm?

I want to know whats the best car alarm, or at least couple of the better car alarms that have a remote start system and a responder from at least 1/2 a mile (1 mil preferred as I'm sure that only applies if there were no buildings etc..)

I know of two alarms:

Python 990 and Viper 5500...

But since they're from the same company, I'm not exactly sure which one is the better of the two.

Anyone else know of good car alarms?

Old Timer

Well if someone is gonna steal your car they can take it in about what 30 seconds if they are good? a Lojack can locate your car anywhere in the world. http://www.lojack.com/

Newcomer

Yea I know about LoJack, while what it promises to do is great, they simply overcharge you (you should know the invoice price on it) and you won't immediately know its gone...lets say you're at the wedding with all the loud music and etc...you're gets stolen at 8, you come out at 11:55, until you finish talking to people and stuff its 12:15, plenty of time to have taken it to chop shop, stripped it, and completely destroyed it.

PS the insurance discount on it is the biggest bs I've ever seen, and you can't transfer it from one car to another, so it won't do you any good to pay $700-800

Power User

ill put it bluntly, there are basically in the world 2 types of remotes, the average 1500 ft type (1/3 mile) and the expensive full mile types............ regardless of which it is, itll beep at you, and in your high noise envioronment that you described its useless, it can vibrate, but alot of people cant feel a cell phone vibrating, much less a small remote.............

then theres the bare facts, the 1500 ft variety is a bit close range, youre not often that close to the car with NO obstuctions between you........... and then the full mile types, assuming youre getting good range, at those distances itll take whole minutes (average mile time is ill sayt around anywhere inside 10-15 minutes, and thats wide open on the track), by the time you get to the car, theyve already taken what they want, or possibly the whole car before you got to it

Old Timer

Default what about

What about Clarion Ungo car alarms? I saw one the other day for $150 and didn't know how good it was. Anyone?

Newcomer

valid point Arashi

Power User

Quote Originally Posted by MConnery
    valid point Arashi

thats why ive settled on my basic 4-button remote VIper with remote start, simple and easy, but I might go to a mile range type so that I can turn the car over from longer away and get confirmation back... cuz its getting HOT

Professional

yea my buddy at work had some 600 dollar alarm system and while we were working inside in. Outside in the middle of they day someone smashed the window pulled out entire headunit and system and was gone all in 5 seconds... It took him 5 seconds to realize that his 600$ alarm did absolutly nothing. What sucks is we even have the guys on the outside cameras with there vehicle and plates yet the cops are to busy to deal with minor car theft :roll:

But yea i have my
    red LED interior lighting - 50$
    radar detector - 150$
    Gauges -220$
    2 12" subs w/ amp - 400$
    SAFC NEO - 300$

Fact is another 600 dollars is not going to help protect all of it. If they want it a little remote is not going to stop them. A better investment is that laminent that prevents thiefs from breaking your windows. That stuff is crazy, they have people swinging metal baseball bats at the window and it still wont break.

Yoda of Radar

Quote Originally Posted by xXCriticizeXx
    A better investment is that laminent that prevents thiefs from breaking your windows. That stuff is crazy, they have people swinging metal baseball bats at the window and it still wont break.
    You mean that new laminated high impact glass? I haven't seen any testing of it, but I do know that we're now using that kind of stuff down here for hurricane windows to replace the Lexan polycarbonate ones (which are really hard to clean and scratch easily). If they're ACTUALLY as good as the Lexan (which I'm suspicious of), then they're REALLY badass. I tested out one of those Lexan windows by swinging a sledgehammer at it as hard as I could...all I got was a slight scuff on the outside, nothing more. No cracking, webbing, denting, anything.

Old Timer

Slim Jim! Though, most people will just try to break a window. And when they can't, most would just move along.