Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Old Timer

Default Nitrogen filled tires vs air filled tires

I need to get new tires for my car, and was discussing w/ a friend about these Nitrogen filled tires and the possible benefits to having them instead of air filled. Supposedly you can get better mileage and better tire wear? I think it costs $10 extra per tire to have them filled w/ Nitrogen. I don't mind checking my tire pressure presently (only when they are cold). Does anyone else on here have Nitrogen filled tires and can give their opinions on such. Thx

Yoda of Radar

No and no.

Use nitrogen if you're taking the car to the track.

It allows you to maintain more consistent tire pressures if you're fine tuning your pressures for performance driving. It does not affect tire wear or mileage.

Power User

dude I get Nitrogen filled tires for free.............. and no I dont have a hook up anywhere, I just go to Costco, but really out of pure convenience I still go to Discount tire for regular air, I never notice a big difference on the street, even the way I drive

Yoda of Radar

You get 80% nitrogen air in the tires for free no matter what

Professional

All I have to say is...RIDICULOUS :roll: You should fill up your tires with propane...I hear it really helps with gas mileage :roll:

Yoda of Radar

Yeah, that's what I thought, but when I talked to Bob Varela about it, he pointed out that nitrogen filling isn't about the extra 20% nitrogen you ADD, it's the 20% of other stuff that you REMOVE that makes all the difference.

But if you're not carefully tuning your pressures for track use, it makes no useful difference.

Professional

my tires are filled with uranium-234 :roll:

Yoda of Radar

My tires are filled with damned souls.

Newcomer

The only benefit of nitrogen filled tires is that they do in fact hold more consistent pressure and do not set off the alarms in the new vehicles that have on board tire pressure monitoring. :roll: That's straight from a nitrogen filling equipment distributor.

Yoda of Radar

Quote Originally Posted by JDS
    Yeah, that's what I thought, but when I talked to Bob Varela about it, he pointed out that nitrogen filling isn't about the extra 20% nitrogen you ADD, it's the 20% of other stuff that you REMOVE that makes all the difference.

But if you're not carefully tuning your pressures for track use, it makes no useful difference.
    Nitrogen is a big molecule, bigger than water and oxygen which is the "other" stuff typically... so the pressure should remain more consistent. But you should be checking the pressures so frequently the difference should never be noticed. Oxygen of course will degrade the rubber faster, but come on, the outside is exposed to the same level of oxygen anyway.