Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Lead Foot

Default Anybody driving diesel? How to make it cheaper

There has been discussions going on in Europe about people filling there car up with what we call lettuceoil. It is oil you would mix a salade with. It is not olive oil!
    It is really cheap, 60ct for a liter while diesel here is now at record heights of about 1,05 euro for a liter. I have a common rail diesel, so it is important that the mixture stays very fluid. So I mix it on a 80% diesel and 20% lettuce oil. On a 60 liter tank, that will save me about 5 euro's per tank!

Maybe something to explore for others? The only downside I can find is that your exhaust smels like fries ;-)

Yoda of Radar

Vinegar? Salad dressing?

Around here there is popularity of using the "vegetable oil" (typically from corn) used in restaurants to fry things (like french fries) and putting it in the tank.

The advantage is the corn oil is free, since the restaurants have to pay companies to "dispose" of the stuff, just drive up to McDonalds and ask polietely

The problem is that it has too much glycerine. So it is way too thick to start the car. But, there exists the "greasel" system that has a special tank that is heated by the engine coolant. After driving on regular diesel for 10 minutes you switch to the corn oil and enjoy the savings The other method is to distill the glycerine out of the fuel and run it straight, or mix it in proportion with regular diesel. In some parts of the USA they sell "B20", which is 4/5 #2 diesel and 1/5 used french fry oil.

The BIG problem is there are NO diesel cars that I'd be willing to drive on a daily basis in North America. :x

Lead Foot

That is also possible, but I don't do that. it is not used to fry, but to put on a salade like a dressing. It is thinner than to fry fries in it.

Lead Foot

The BIG problem is there are NO diesel cars that I'd be willing to drive on a daily basis in North America.
    Why not? I have a 1.9 common rail turbo intercooler diesel with 120 BHP.

I have a Renault Laguna http://www.laguna.renault.nl/index_site.php?country=uk and it is a very beautifull car with 6 gears (automatics are for wimps ;-) ) About 50 tot 60% of the Dutch car population is diesel

Yoda of Radar

I think I know what you mean... but if I search on google for "lettuce oil" I get this

http://www.herbal-smoke-shop.com/ctai.html

Lead Foot

Don't mind the Dutch, but this is what I mean:

http://www2.trosradar.nl/PHP/streamp...uitzending/177

Yoda of Radar

Quote Originally Posted by Flitsservice.nl
    The BIG problem is there are NO diesel cars that I'd be willing to drive on a daily basis in North America.
    Why not? I have a 1.9 common rail turbo intercooler diesel with 120 BHP.

I have a Renault Laguna http://www.laguna.renault.nl/index_site.php?country=uk and it is a very beautifull car with 6 gears (automatics are for wimps ;-) ) About 50 tot 60% of the Dutch car population is diesel
    Yeah I could drive something like that, or even a Saab TiD or something. But here are all the diesel passenger cars I can buy TODAY.

Volkswagen Jetta TDI (A5 body) (2.0 litre?)
    VW Golf TDI (old A4 body, we still don't have the new generation!) 1.9 (90hp)
    VW New Beetle TDI 1.9 (90hp)
    Mercedes-Benz E 320 CDI (too expensive and automatic only)

That's it. So I can have a VW, which is very popular here I might add, but I don't want it because I have too much experience with VW's already :?

Lead Foot

I drove very happily a VW Passat 1997 110 BHP TDI for 2 years. Car was driving atr best at 180 km/h!

Yoda of Radar

I drove my grandfather's '95 Jetta diesel, I remember I couldn't even touch 180km/h! I was very bored and annoyed because the road was flat and open in the middle of Canada and I had my foot flat on the floor... I think I could get an indicated 175 on the speedometer but I am sure it was only 165 ish.

BUT - it was so cheap on fuel... I was able to go across the country for practically nothing.

Now try driving a 6.55 litre V8 Pontiac Firebird when gas is 1.02.9 CND per litre and that litre only takes you 4 kilometres when you're lucky...

Lead Foot

I'm on my 2nd diesel now and there's no going back now

I used to have the fast cars (well in europe they are fast)

I 1st had the VW Bora (jetta) 1.9 SE PD TDi (115bhp) very fast and great fun but now I have a BMW 320d SE (150bhp) and thats even better and very fast.