Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 08 Corvette C6

Speedtrap Crasher

Default 08 Corvette C6

I just downloaded the new issue of Car and Driver. The 08 vette has a few upgrades over the 05 to 07 models (outside of the smaller wheel introduced in 06)

6.0 bumped up to 6.2 Liters 400 up to 436 hp with the optional and loud sport exhaust. Utilizes the butterfly valves from the Z06.

A new steering rack milled to tighter tolerences and bearings on the roller element dramaticaly improve steering response.

New leather interior upgrade option folded into the 4LT equipment upgrade includes new stereo and some other useless stuff.

and new wheels too.

0-60 mph 4.0 seconds
    1/4 mile 12.4 seconds @ 116 mph
    Top speed 190 mph
    price $56,890 (as tested)
    Project "BONES" Speed Lab:
    Valentine One, Blinder M47 "All Front Configuration"
    Pro97 Police Scanner
    1 Saves / 3 Strikes as of 8/22/2009
    Estimated saves in U.S. Dollars: $200

Yoda of Radar

Corvettes: Always an amazing bang for-your-buck sports car...

0-60in 4 seconds...

190mph top speed , thats just amazing...

The only thing that always gets me is the low-HP numbers for how much displacement they have... (and yes I know, I know: torque).

But 6.2litre = 436HP, thats no good.

Before you know it they are going to be 8+ litre V10's like the Vipers and only pushing Low 500's (like the Vipers). (Actually the 1st Gen Vipers pushed about the same amount of HP out of their V10 8litre powerplants as the current 6litre Corvettes.)

Lead Foot

Man, I wonder if they will be tweaking the ZO6 engine as well. It's hard to believe they could make them even better.

Old Timer

^ +1.

It's friggin' unbelieveable....... :shock:

Yoda of Radar

Quote Originally Posted by AirMoore
    The only thing that always gets me is the low-HP numbers for how much displacement they have... (and yes I know, I know: torque).

But 6.2litre = 436HP, thats no good.

Before you know it they are going to be 8+ litre V10's like the Vipers and only pushing Low 500's (like the Vipers). (Actually the 1st Gen Vipers pushed about the same amount of HP out of their V10 8litre powerplants as the current 6litre Corvettes.)
    It's not really torque...

Typically the larger the engine the better the thermal efficiency. If you look at those giant diesel engines used in ships, the ones with the bore and stroke measured in metres not millimetres they have pretty impressive g/kWh figures compared with say a car engine. The specific power of those engines is extremely small mostly because they turn about 100 r/min.

And the Corvette isn't an exception, for it's performance nothing can touch the fuel economy. OK so the EPA tests usually place the car at like 1000 r/min at 60 mi/h and the Corvette is a light, aerodynamic, small car so it isn't much of a feat (if you actually tip your foot in and use the 430 hp you will burn 430 hp worth of gas ).

The last engine was 6,0 litres and 400 hp which gives 66 2/3 hp/L... now it is a 6,2 with 436 which is 70,3 hp/L. The C5's had a 5,7 making 350 which is 61 2/5 so actually the specific power is increasing quite steadily anyway. An engine that makes 66 2/3 hp/L isn't particularly poor in such aspects either... a typical 16 valve 2,0 litre 4 banger would be happy to make 141 hp (remember the turbocharged Chrysler engines? They had 142 out of 2.2 litres). And it probably burns as much gas as the Corvette anyway :P

Yoda of Radar

A properly programmed 1.8T with the VW-stock K03 turbo makes 119hp/L (215 hp out of 1.8L) and a HELL of a lot more than that with a Garret.

Now if I could just bolt two of them together I'd be in business...

Seriously though, think about! 3.6L twin turbo 8-cylinder with 430 hp would be an awesome powerplant. Sorta like a budget Porsche turbo engine

Professional

omfgzz it iz teh erickonphoenix'z new car!!111!@@!!11!!!1

Yoda of Radar

Quote Originally Posted by JDS
    A properly programmed 1.8T with the VW-stock K03 turbo makes 119hp/L (215 hp out of 1.8L) and a HELL of a lot more than that with a Garret.

Now if I could just bolt two of them together I'd be in business...

Seriously though, think about! 3.6L twin turbo 8-cylinder with 430 hp would be an awesome powerplant. Sorta like a budget Porsche turbo engine
    In the late 1980's Saab had a prototype 4,0 litre V8 using two of the 2,0 litre turbo-4's Saab had in production with a new block and a common crank. Would end up being like 370 horsepower with twin turbo and around 250-275 without... I guess it was intended for what would become the 9000 CD (which instead debuted with a 2.3 litre turbo-4). It was apparently scrapped after the association with GM since they could just ship in some V6's.

Yoda of Radar

Very cool.

Yoda of Radar

Quote Originally Posted by SmaartAasSaabr

And the Corvette isn't an exception, for it's performance nothing can touch the fuel economy.
    Forgot about bikes did we, your average 600cc Supersport will smoke that and still get way better MPG average. (Though MPG is off-point).

Though I see what your point is...

Still 436HP out of 6.2Litres still sucks, my point being: Make a smaller block and use some sequential turbos

My friends Mazda is 1.3Litre sequential turbo running 370HP AT GROUND RWD. (Well over 400 at the Block)

(1.3Litre).

HE also had a 475HP(From the block), 1ST Gen DSM TSI Eagle Talon...(2.0L)

Another kid, who bought up many of the aforementioned kids parts had about the same HP (450's from the block), until he um shall we say 'retired his turbo'. (Again 1st Gen DSM 2.0 Talon).

Those are nice (summer)DD, HP-to-Litre averages.