Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New car.

Professional

Default New car.

Well within the next month here I should really be getting a new car. I know I have been doing alot of talk about a corvette, but to get a decent newer one with low miles is just too expensive. So I have heard many good things about the new 05 mustang. Its also actually one of the only mustang body styles I like that is not in the muscle car era. Now I have to choose between a GT(V8) or (v6). I want a GT V8 but the 05's are so extremely rare to find in the v8 and i really dont want to place a factory order for one. I am also trying to buy the car in black, and you all know the reason for that :twisted: . The v6, well what can I say, its just a v6, nothing too special although at least they are respectably fast for a v6, I think they pump out as much horses as the previous years v8's. I also dont want to buy an 06', so it would have to be the 05. I know there is nothing like v8's, because I used to own a 454 big block chevy nova, and a v8 just makes you feel powerfull. However if I cannot find a v8 in black, should I go with the v6? And most likely just about all 05 mustang v8's are sold. Can I supercharge a v6, is it worth it, does anybody know? Not to mention Im really trying to keep my cost down and the v6 is a little cheaper, its the reason Im not wanting to pay 30k for a vette with 50k miles when I can buy brand new and break it in myself.

Professional

I do not think you would be happy driving a V6, yes I know there are some fast V6 out there but in the mustang that is a heavy car and you will surley miss the on demand power of the V8

Why buy a musclce car without a v8?
    I could not imagine going from a Corvette to V6 Mustang, the performance drop would make me think I was driving moped!

GO FOR THE V8!!

Lead Foot

Get a V8 and save up for a Vortech supercharger. In total it will cost around $35,000 and will give you just as much HP and torque as the new Vette for at least $10,000 less.

http://www.vortechsuperchargers.com/...ustang_gt.html

Manufacturer

Guys,

After last week, I am afraid, I have been bitten - bitten by a Viper.

The latest incarnations are truly wonderful to drive and feel pure.

Perhaps finding one off lease would be an option. In this case, you'll get a V10 in all its glory! - just watch out for the side pipes on ingress and egress.

Perhaps, try one on a test drive and experience the magic for yourself.

Veil Guy 8)
    ALERT: Purchase the latest Veil G5 Direct from the Manufacturer or from one of our Authorized Dealers at the Veil Store.

Stay informed with the latest industry news and product reviews Veil Guy's Radar Detector Reviews.

Experience real-world encounters as they actually happened on the open road, from the pioneer of this bonafide real-world testing format. Visit Veil Guy's radar detector videos.

Socialize with the Veil Guy: Google+, Facebook

Speed Demon

From what i seen the V6 pumps out 202hp and 230ft/lbs of torque , The V8 is 300hp and 320ft/lbs of torque so theres a difference.The V8s torque cant be replaced by a V6, ill go for the V8 all the way. 0/60 With the V8 is in the 5s too so thats another reason for the V8

Good Citizen

See http://www.hpracing.net/mkonor.htm to see what a friend of mine did with his "little" V6. Over 400 HP....

He sunk a lot of money into it though, and if you want the power but not the work, you might as well go with an 8.

Professional

Get a Maurauder and then put a supercharger on it. You'll beat the 'Vette in the 1/4 mile! I know a guy who did that. 460hp!!

Yoda of Radar

Well personally, I'd go for a Vette... maybe something a little cheaper, a 6-speed '98 notchback anyone?

The Mustang V6 I'd stay far away from, you simply will not like it. A V8, I wouldn't go for it either, but at least it would be better than the 6. Make sure you go for the manual shifter. Also V8 resale value much better than the V6.

But Mustangs are really in demand now, and F*rd is cranking out every one they can. So you are going to be paying through the nose and waiting quite a long time to get one, if you can do so :shock:

And if you really want a new Corvette, which is also in good demand (but nothing too bad) that is what you should get. Buying the Mustang instead will never satisfy you instead of the Corvette, you'd still want one, and the Mustang purchase can only put the Corvette further into the future... my suggestion - drive some clunker until you've got the necessary cash.

Professional

Quote Originally Posted by SmaartAasSaabr
    And if you really want a new Corvette, ... that is what you should get. Buying the Mustang instead will never satisfy you instead of the Corvette, you'd still want one, and the Mustang purchase can only put the Corvette further into the future...
    I'm kinda surprised that I find myself in agreement with this part of what S.A.S. wrote. While the Mustang is a nice enough car, it's no Vette.

A V6 Mustang would be a fine daily driver, knock around car. The new V6 has decent power (I recently had an 05 Mustang V6 convertible as a rental from Hertz) but I would NOT steer anyone who was thinking performance upgrades down the road towards a V6. Not because it can't be done, but because in the long run you'd probably spend more than if you just got the GT to begin with. A new GT would be a fine car as well, but I'd hate for you to start asking "What can I do to make my Mustang as fast as AND handle like a Vette?" because the answer is pretty much the same as the V6 performance answer. It's better to save and buy what you want, than to try and make something else into that.

I'd suggest you selectively search for a well maintained but unmodified Vette. There's plenty of them that are driven by older folks who don't beat on them like younger drivers do.

The new Mustangs are selling without any incentives now, so it's tough to do any better than MSRP on a GT. You might find a small deal on a V6.

Good Luck,

Ed

Professional

Ok after doing some test driving, the vette is definitely the car. From my test driving experience the vette is still quicker stock vs stock, it brakes a **** lot better and its handling is way way better than the mustang. Im definitely going for a vette even if it has 30-40k miles on it at same price as a new stang. There is a difference between the 2 and is no replacing it stock vs stock, unless your going for a porsche or ferrari or something more expensive. Ill be shopping around shortly for a 97-01 c5 corvette in the price range below 30k shortly. Thanks for the advice guys.