Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Stealthcb

Default My Car Won't Start!

So I've been having more and more trouble getting my car to turn over for the last two weeks. It seemed to struggle a little more each time to crank.

Today it died. Wouldn't start. Got lights, dash gauges, stereo, RD, etc, but when I tried to crank it, it wouldn't. So we jumped it from my wife's CX-9 and it started fine. Got it home -- wouldn't start again. So we jumped it again. I drove it for about thirty minutes. Tried to get Autozone to check the battery, but they were hella busy. So I brought it home. It cranks now, but JUST BARELY. Takes 4-5 cranks to get it to start.

Funny thing is, the dealer allegedly checked the batter last Saturday when they changed the oil and they marked the battery good, but didn't list it's CCAs.

I THINK I am looking at a dead battery, or a dead cell in the battery, but could it be a starter or alternator?

Lead Foot

It's probably the battery since it would start when being jumpstarted. I would rule out the alternator since the car ran for 30mins; a battery wouldn't be able to support a car for that long. If it was the starter it wouldn't even crank.

Power User

yeah dying battery, not dead, since youve got power to acesories, just need alot of current, which you dont have, for turning the starter

Professional

at least it wasn't in the dead cold of winter and end up stranded :wink: i'll have to agree and say likely battery, sometimes dealers can be cheap

Stealthcb

Yeah, that's what the 6club guys are saying too. REALLY makes me mad that the dealer said they were checking this and were not. If this HAD been the dead of winter, I'd be suing their asses for the cost of towing or whatever else came up.

I am DONE with that dealership.

Professional

make sure ther battery contacts are good, mine wouldnt start the other day as one of the contacts cracked and it would ignite.

Stealthcb

Quote Originally Posted by guit123
    make sure ther battery contacts are good, mine wouldnt start the other day as one of the contacts cracked and it would ignite.
    Contacts are good. I had them off the other day and put them back on myself.

Yoda of Radar

Quote Originally Posted by nautica2o3
    It's probably the battery since it would start when being jumpstarted. I would rule out the alternator since the car ran for 30mins; a battery wouldn't be able to support a car for that long. If it was the starter it wouldn't even crank.
    That's about the long and the short of it.

Sucky dealer

Stealthcb

Quote Originally Posted by JDS
    Quote Originally Posted by nautica2o3
    That's about the long and the short of it.

Sucky dealer
    If the battery is dead, I am going to take the care to a brake shop and have those inspected, too. The brakes have about 60K on them, but these guys keep telling me they're at 50%. Every time. Yes, I use manual mode a lot, but OEM pads lasting 60K+? Hmmmmm. They rated my left rear THIS time at 6m (I assume they mean mm) and the left front at 8m, but didn't write anything for the right side. And since I told them not to rotate the tires, did they take the wheels off just for the brake inspection? Not likely.

They also said that two of my tires were at 6/32 and 7/32. Unlikely. Those tires were purchased in March and have a 40K mile warranty. They have MAYBE 4K on them.

My guess is that the "free full circle inspection" isn't really getting done. It's getting pencil-whipped.

Stealthcb

Yep. Autozone checked it out for me. More than one cell was dead, and the battery was BAD. I wanted to wait and buy the lightweight CP-E battery and tray, but I needed something now so I ended up with a $69.99 Duralast.

Now I get to call the dealer and yell at them for not doing their job.