Professional

Default BMW going forced induction? twinturbo

inside high-level source at BMW cited saying they are entering the forced induction realm... most likely being entered at the next geneva auto show. badged a 335i, will be a 350hp twin turbo 6 cyclinder monster. with this information, surely the new V8 M3 will now be packing ~450hp to separate the gap from the 335i and the M3.... this jump will more than likely cause the price for the M3 to jump from 50k (currently) to ~70 thousand for the new E90 M3. :shock:

if all this holds true, i may have to trade my M3 in for the twin turbo 3 series in about 3 years. :wink:

many bimmerphiles are not pleased about this since BMW, aside from 2 former models that offered a turbo, has stayed away from forced induction. they have set their pride on power coming from ALL MOTOR, ie: McLaren F1.

i think that as long as they leave the Motorsport division naturally aspirated, it would be ok in my opinion.

Power User

hmm, Id like to see a X5 V8 with twin turbo. I would buy it for sure.

Professional

Quote Originally Posted by stalker
    hmm, Id like to see a X5 V8 with twin turbo. I would buy it for sure.
    mmmmm maybe a porsche cayenne tt eater, eh? :twisted:

Power User

hell yeah :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Radar Fanatic

Default Re: BMW going forced induction? twinturbo

Quote Originally Posted by Brent_Vino
    inside high-level source at BMW cited saying they are entering the forced induction realm... most likely being entered at the next geneva auto show. badged a 335i, will be a 350hp twin turbo 6 cyclinder monster. with this information, surely the new V8 M3 will now be packing ~450hp to separate the gap from the 335i and the M3.... this jump will more than likely cause the price for the M3 to jump from 50k (currently) to ~70 thousand for the new E90 M3. :shock:

if all this holds true, i may have to trade my M3 in for the twin turbo 3 series in about 3 years. :wink:

many bimmerphiles are not pleased about this since BMW, aside from 2 former models that offered a turbo, has stayed away from forced induction. they have set their pride on power coming from ALL MOTOR, ie: McLaren F1.

i think that as long as they leave the Motorsport division naturally aspirated, it would be ok in my opinion.
    I'm still not sure I even like the e90s. to me the inside feels cheap compared to the e46s

Professional

Default Re: BMW going forced induction? twinturbo

Quote Originally Posted by lordhamster
    Quote Originally Posted by Brent_Vino

I'm still not sure I even like the e90s. to me the inside feels cheap compared to the e46s
    you are correct. this is a common complaint about the e90. when I attended 3 across america, i couldnt help but complain about the interior. bmw is definately moving away from what made BMW, BMW. little by little, they are taking the driver out of the equation. when you have a company that is rumored in making a mini van, it says a lot about where the company is heading in a whole.

Yoda of Radar

Well I remember BMW being the Ultimate Driving Machine. Never mind this was a direct rip off a 1965 Pontiac GTO advertisement. Then it became Ultimate Driving Experience.

They used to have ergonomic dashboards that hugged the driver, with clear and consise controls, that looked damn good too. And the cars had nice clean styling, all over.

Now what do you have, a plasma screen and a giant knob on the console and a column shifted automatic with an ingrown toenail on the trunk! Ultimate Driving Machine my ass!

Radar Fanatic

I took my car in for service recently and they gave me the X3 as a loaner. Compared to the X5 I can't tell you how let down I was. The car felt cheap and shoddy compared to other bmws and the x3.

When I recently saw a e90 330i when I was in the showroom I was dissapointed to see the same bangled design for the interior and the instrument cluster.

I'll stick with my e46 where I feel like everything is pointed towards the driver... the way it should be. A nice solidly built car with no shakes nor wobbles.

Once my lease expires I'm going to seriously think about jumping ship, because I really don't like the direction BMW is headed.

Yoda of Radar

Quote Originally Posted by lordhamster
    Once my lease expires I'm going to seriously think about jumping ship, because I really don't like the direction BMW is headed.
    Maybe you'll go to that other car company that made whole aeroplanes not just the engines?

Power User

yeah i hate the X3....its a done up hyundai