Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast
    Speedtrap Crasher

Default Any commute ideas??

I just accepted an offer to work at a new ad agency across town. This commute is about 80 miles roundtrip of highway driving. Some of it stop and go in the morning. I really don't have any interest living downtown again. The taxes are too high and it is was getting too crowded when I left five years ago.

I like living aboard my boat so I'm going to stick it out for a couple of years and see how it goes. Problem is the grind will start piling miles on the vette fast. I know these cars don't stay very solid past 80k miles. So I'm thinking one of two things.

Buy a new BMW M3 and keep it for 200k miles

or buy a new vette every two years. One of the guys on my vette forum has been doing that for the past 20 years. However, he claims you loose about 10k a year in resale assuming your putting 30k miles a year on it. So you have to bank 10k a year to make up the new sale price you need for the new car.

My mom bought a used 99 ML series Mercedes for 20k. She's put 50k miles on it and it's still solid as a rock.

Another option is just test out the endurance on the vette and find out for sure what happens if you push a vette to 150k miles. I've never known anyone that's put those miles on in such a short time.

In case it wasn't obvious. Sports cars only need apply.[/i]
    Project "BONES" Speed Lab:
    Valentine One, Blinder M47 "All Front Configuration"
    Pro97 Police Scanner
    1 Saves / 3 Strikes as of 8/22/2009
    Estimated saves in U.S. Dollars: $200

Old Timer

id say just drive ur vette now until u need a new one and then a bmw/ml because they obviously are built like tank and will last forever

Good Citizen

Look for something from japan but I guess there are really to many 'pure' sports cars in japan maybe an infinti G35 coupe, I hear lexus is going to make a sport coupe. Japaneee cars are really the best choice for a long commuter because while a german car will require serivice to last long japaneese cars are easy to run and last long.

Professional

I think I'd go for the BMW.

Yoda of Radar

Since you obviously are okay with a coupe...I'd say look at a 911. If you're looking at a NEW M3, you might be in the market for a 997, but otherwise you could save a lot by going for a late-model certified pre-owned 996. It's going to be just as bulletproof as a Honda and have all the zip of your C6. Plus the new ones are almost as easy to handle under hard driving, so long as you leave the traction control and stuff like that running, so it shouldn't be TOO much of a departure from your C6.

Power User

Just keep your vette, as long as you don't beat this pi$$ outta it and keep up on the maintenance it will last well beyond 100K.

BTW highway miles are much easier on the engine compared to city stop and go traffic!

I'd keep the vette and buy a little SOHC beater honda that gets 40MPG to drive back and fourth to work.

Radar Fanatic

Yeah my little 2.2 Honda, that needs parts, runs perfect for 180K, or a beemer or G35 might suit you better.

Old Timer

Put a bit of luxury in to your drive.

Get an AMG CLK-63, Black-Series.

http://www.motortrend.com/av/roadtes...benz_clk63_amg

OK, so it isn't a true "sports-car," per se, but it's definitely got the right heritage. :twisted:

---

I'm sold on the B7, though. You know me, bro - I need a place to put baby-Anna's child-seat. ops:

In any case, as a family man, now, with less and less time to play with the car, I'm more and more beginning to think that I should just spend the big bucks and get a fast car, from the factory, that I can just drop off at the dealership and claim warranty on.

I'm beginning to see the wisdom of the words "Stay Smart, Stay Stock."

Speedtrap Crasher

Excellent suggestions guys! The 996 has been on the table for while, but a friend of mine has had an 02 M3 for five years now. 160,000 miles and can help me with some of the simpler maintenance items. He even put a supercharger on it once it rolled 110,000 so it pushes just over 400 hp now. Of course he did have to swap out the clutch and the flywheel and added a brake kit but it runs with my car EZ.

I may decided to keep the vette and see how it runs. I believe it will continue to rattle more and more but when the pump prices hit $4 I can jam in 6th set the cruise control on 80 and still get 30 mpg. Something Stefan's M3 will never do.

My Mom suggested an econo box for the commute but I really don't drive much on the weekends. My favorite bars and restaurants are within walking distance or a bike ride so whats the point. The vette is my commuter car I use it to commute in. It stops on a dime if traffic jams up and the handling makes it easy to swerve around the occasional aluminum ladder or overturned SUV
    Project "BONES" Speed Lab:
    Valentine One, Blinder M47 "All Front Configuration"
    Pro97 Police Scanner
    1 Saves / 3 Strikes as of 8/22/2009
    Estimated saves in U.S. Dollars: $200

Yoda of Radar

Quote Originally Posted by erickonphoenix
    Excellent suggestions guys! The 996 has been on the table for while, but a friend of mine has had an 02 M3 for five years now. 160,000 miles and can help me with some of the simpler maintenance items. He even put a supercharger on it once it rolled 110,000 so it pushes just over 400 hp now. Of course he did have to swap out the clutch and the flywheel and added a brake kit but it runs with my car EZ.

I may decided to keep the vette and see how it runs. I believe it will continue to rattle more and more but when the pump prices hit $4 I can jam in 6th set the cruise control on 80 and still get 30 mpg. Something Stefan's M3 will never do.

My Mom suggested an econo box for the commute but I really don't drive much on the weekends. My favorite bars and restaurants are within walking distance or a bike ride so whats the point. The vette is my commuter car I use it to commute in. It stops on a dime if traffic jams up and the handling makes it easy to swerve around the occasional aluminum ladder or overturned SUV
    That's what I'd suggest. Mileage doesn't really affect a car very much at all (save of course things like brake pads and tires) if it is maintained. If you are doing 80 mi a day your car will last longer than if you were doing 4 mi per day