Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Professional

Default Out with the old and in with the even older...

Well as many of you know i currently own a 05 SE-R Spec V which i have turbocharged and has been my pride and joy. Well after six months of being boosted and another 2 years of payments throughout college, i recently recieved an offer for the kit and the car which is so nice that it is actually allowing me to pay off the car and buy a 90's model NISSAN 300ZX. Im going to likely buy the N/A one and order a new Twin Turbo'd engine directly from japan since they are still produced there and cost around 3k after shipping and everything. so no more car payments and no more 315fwhp and in with 450rwhp

i have about another 2 weeks with the turbo kit and about 2 months with the actual car so enjoying it why i can...

Radar Fanatic

wow man i didnt see that coming lol. Anyway, sounds good, just make sure everything is final, Id hate to see you sell the turbo kit and then have the car deal fall through and be stuck with it. Keep us posted though. I love the look of the old 300zx. Ive got my dream one in Gran Turismo 3 lol. All blacked out, black wheels, and TT, making 800hp lol.

Professional

hahah thats funny because the one i plan on going with is black and i plan on blacking that thing out so much I really like all the color 300zx's except white, its way too plain.

I didnt see it coming either, but i would love to not have to pay car payments each month, (save so much money). After the kit is off i really wont mind enjoying the car for a bit, and really if it takes a little longer to sell thats ok because basically every month my debt on it goes down and i plan on selling it at a solid price so it just means more money overall.

Anyways thanks for the luck and ill be sure to be a pic whore whenever the new ride rolls in.... sometime within the next few months.

Radar Fanatic

I saw that coming right when I read the title. Just don't go too crazy with you and your car's final days.

Yoda of Radar

Aren't the '90s 300ZXs the ones with all wheel drive, not rear wheel drive?

Kinda sad to see it get taken apart, I liked that car, but the Z cars are badass!

Professional

well basically they are rwd, im still learning about them but apparently its like a power transfer to the front if need be or something... Still debating on a T-Top one, and/or a 2+0 or 2+2 (basically some have something they call a backseat :roll: ) were as some are just two seaters.

Originally when i found out the deal i was looking into a 3rd gen RX-7, 3000GT or 300zx.... after hours of research the RX-7 breaks easily and is costly to repair... the 3000GT is also not the most reliable and like the rx-7 pricey and a pain to work with. Now the 300zx is no were near the worlds most reliable car however the sensors and engine management is something im used to with owning a Nissan car and its something i could do myself.... (change the timing belt and that good stuff.) The N/A ones are about the same speed as a stock spec v so its something i can work with

The big issues with the 300ZX would be to get the following done:

Replace the water pump and the oil pump. The water pump is a nightmare since it requires removing the timing belt plus a bunch of other stuff on the front of the block in order to get to it. A special tool, available at auto parts stores as a rental, is also needed. Definitely replace both with OEM parts instead of after market parts.

Yoda of Radar

I always liked the 90-96 ish 300 ZX. But I think the Fast&Furious crowd have driven the prices of used examples to crazy levels... of all those Japanese performance cars from the 90's actually, the worst are Supras, they cost more today than when they were new

Damn if only I had around $100k to spend 10 years ago to buy up a bunch of these cars and put them in my garage just to make money

I thought they were rear-drivers but had a four wheel steering system on the fancy turbo model. Super Duper Happy Fun Me Love You Long Time HICATS or something like that

Yoda of Radar

Quote Originally Posted by SmaartAasSaabr
    Super Duper Happy Fun Me Love You Long Time HICATS or something like that
    :shock:

Professional

The 300ZX was rwd. Unless you have alot of time and money to spend on upkeep/maintenence, I would advise against getting one. With that said, there is a good aftermarket for them and can put down good #'s quite easily.