Lead Foot

Default Remote starter for 2007 Honda Accord V6 Auto

2007 Honda Accord V6 Auto

I want to install remote starter for my car. Car came with remote that

1. Unlocks/locks doors
    2. Panic
    3. Remote windows roll down
    4. Trunk release

I want to install remote starter only and keep my current remote that does all those functions mentioned above. I know my car has immobilizer and security system :? I need to know if anyone installed remote starter on Honda/Acura and can help me with this. Thanks

Advanced Member

Who's doing the install?

Lead Foot

I want to do it myself. I know Circuit City charges $100 bucks plus $50 bucks for bypass box.

Radar Fanatic

From what I have heard remote start is one of those things that you only do yourself if you know what you are doing 100%. I was talking to a few guys from a shop near my work about getting a new security system with remote start. They had some pretty bad stories about DIY remote start installs.

Sick of our winters already?

Advanced Member

Quote Originally Posted by Serg
    I want to do it myself. I know Circuit City charges $100 bucks plus $50 bucks for bypass box.
    Not quite. If your car is an EX with factory alarm, they'll also need to do a factory alarm bypass. $150 installed sounds too good to be true. On newer hondas, you do not want to attempt a remote start install yourself.

Now back to the original questions. You will be able to keep all of your current functions on the factory remote. If the unit is manufactured by DEI (Viper, Clifford, Python, Hornet, Avital, etc...) you may also have the option to remote start the car with the factory remote. Your range will be severely limited to the maximum range of the factory remote. The maximum range of the unit can still be acheived using the remote that came with the remote start. A savy installer will know how to do this. I usually charge $120 labor to install any Dei remote start with immobilizer and factory alarm bypass in a newer Honda. That's why $150 installed for everything sounds too good to be true. They may be trying to sell you some BS?

Lead Foot

Quote Originally Posted by DogGod
    From what I have heard remote start is one of those things that you only do yourself if you know what you are doing 100%. I was talking to a few guys from a shop near my work about getting a new security system with remote start. They had some pretty bad stories about DIY remote start installs.

Sick of our winters already?
    just a little

Lead Foot

Quote Originally Posted by PMoth
    Not quite. If your car is an EX with factory alarm, they'll also need to do a factory alarm bypass. $150 installed sounds too good to be true. On newer hondas, you do not want to attempt a remote start install yourself.

Now back to the original questions. You will be able to keep all of your current functions on the factory remote. If the unit is manufactured by DEI (Viper, Clifford, Python, Hornet, Avital, etc...) you may also have the option to remote start the car with the factory remote. Your range will be severely limited to the maximum range of the factory remote. The maximum range of the unit can still be acheived using the remote that came with the remote start. A savy installer will know how to do this. I usually charge $120 labor to install any Dei remote start with immobilizer and factory alarm bypass in a newer Honda. That's why $150 installed for everything sounds too good to be true. They may be trying to sell you some BS?
    They charge $150 dollars for labor/bypass only, it does not include remote starter. Now I don't feel like doing it myself By the way, I have SE model.

Advanced Member

They charge $150 dollars for labor/bypass only, it does not include remote starter. Now I don't feel like doing it myself By the way, I have SE model.
    They are trying to robb you!!! Installation of the immobilizer bypass module ranges from $30-$60. The module itself, DEI P# 556 UW or 556 HW cost $30-50 depending on which store you purchase them from. $150 is way too high. I just checked Circuits page and the cheepest remote start with install included is $200. They want $81 for the 556HW while Tweeter has them for $40 and fleabay has them for $25. Do you see how these stores get over on the consumer???

You would be better off getting an estimate for all parts required to install the remote start written down on paper/work order. If they give you trouble, tell them your mom or girlfriend will be paying for it and they want to see what they are buying. Then go on fleabay and order everything except for the remote start. Bring them or another store all the parts and buy the remote start from that store. The reason for purchasing the unit at the store is because you get a lifetime warranty on the unit and their worksmanship that way. Some vehicles reject aftermarket electronics (BMW, Mercedes, some Audis, newer GMs) so you definately want to have some type of warranty on the work and your car. Doing it this way could save you $100-200.

Many many moons ago, I used to be a pro installer. It was my job to rip people off but also install the product correctly. I have installed hundreds of remote starts, alarms, radios, amplifiers, mobile video units, Nav, vehicle lighting accessories, and anything else that belongs or doesnt belong in a car. All cars in my household have remote start/alarm combos. It doesnt matter whether they are manual or auto. So believe me when I say you should buy all your accessories online and the remote start unit at the store. Get quotes from BestBuy also. I would stick with a larger chain because if you have a problem while travelling, you can stop at any location and have your car serviced for free.
    Good Luck.

Yoda of Radar

In order to increase the range, you might want to look into a surprisingly simple modification...an extended antenna for your remote. We occasionally do this because our VW remotes have this bizarrely short range (mine is one of the worst, I get maybe 5-8 feet). It seems pretty simple, basically you just take some plastic-insulated cable (Ethernet cable, for example) and solder it onto your remote antenna, then tuck it into your interior panels.

Lead Foot

Quote Originally Posted by PMoth

They are trying to robb you!!! Installation of the immobilizer bypass module ranges from $30-$60. The module itself, DEI P# 556 UW or 556 HW cost $30-50 depending on which store you purchase them from. $150 is way too high. I just checked Circuits page and the cheepest remote start with install included is $200. They want $81 for the 556HW while Tweeter has them for $40 and fleabay has them for $25. Do you see how these stores get over on the consumer???

You would be better off getting an estimate for all parts required to install the remote start written down on paper/work order. If they give you trouble, tell them your mom or girlfriend will be paying for it and they want to see what they are buying. Then go on fleabay and order everything except for the remote start. Bring them or another store all the parts and buy the remote start from that store. The reason for purchasing the unit at the store is because you get a lifetime warranty on the unit and their worksmanship that way. Some vehicles reject aftermarket electronics (BMW, Mercedes, some Audis, newer GMs) so you definately want to have some type of warranty on the work and your car. Doing it this way could save you $100-200.

Many many moons ago, I used to be a pro installer. It was my job to rip people off but also install the product correctly. I have installed hundreds of remote starts, alarms, radios, amplifiers, mobile video units, Nav, vehicle lighting accessories, and anything else that belongs or doesnt belong in a car. All cars in my household have remote start/alarm combos. It doesnt matter whether they are manual or auto. So believe me when I say you should buy all your accessories online and the remote start unit at the store. Get quotes from BestBuy also. I would stick with a larger chain because if you have a problem while travelling, you can stop at any location and have your car serviced for free.
    Good Luck.
    Thanks for the info. Now I just don't feel like installing one myself or paying someone to do it.