Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Speed Demon

Default Anyone has RD and portable car GPS?

Just curious where do you mount your GPS. I just bought a Garmin Nuvi 260 and still trying find the best spot to mount it in my sedan as I'm not a big fan of having objects on the dashboard or near the lower windshield due to glare. Am I asking to get robbed if I mount it next to the RVM: V1 on the right and GPS on the left?

Yoda of Radar

I have also tried numerous mounting positions and the one I like most so-far is bottom and left so it hangs down behind the registration and inspection sticker.

The benefits are two-fold: First off this makes it a little harder for crooks to spot (though I always take it down, and normally with me when I have it) because its 'hidden' behind the registration and inspection, and the drivers-pillar for the windshield. Second: When I need to use the cord, it can easily reach the unit and I can run it right up the side so it looks clean with no wires hanging. On a side note, my 200W connects to satellites much faster down there... rather then right by my RVM/roof area.

Then again, you will have that glare issue. (I have a minor one) if you mount it there.

Honestly I tend to switch mine rather often... depending on my mood.

Whatever you do do not leave your RD and your GPS hanging in the window when u leave your car, at least put them out of sight, or take them with you!

Yoda of Radar

Newcomer

Also got a 260 and an X50. I never have to take down my GPS or my RD, cause you can't see them at all from the outside.

Old Timer

^ That's sweet! 8)

Speed Demon

Quote Originally Posted by freestyla86
    Also got a 260 and an X50. I never have to take down my GPS or my RD, cause you can't see them at all from the outside.
    Are they both hardwired?

Radar Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by JDS
    Hey twin brother :wink: exactly in that very spot I mounted my Garmin 350 the only difference is that the jack for the wire is somewhere at the back and lower part of the mount so in fact the wire goes under the GPS and directly on the dash and down over the vent and straight into my multiple power outlet...

Newcomer

Quote Originally Posted by lordhawhaw
    Quote Originally Posted by freestyla86
    Are they both hardwired?
    Ya they're both hardwired. The power cord to the GPS is the original cigarette lighter cord. I had to go to Radio Shack to buy the adapter that splits the plug into positive and negative ends (kinda like this). Then I just used an add-a-circuit to the fuse box.

Yoda of Radar

Quote Originally Posted by RW'07
    exactly in that very spot I mounted my Garmin 350 the only difference is that the jack for the wire is somewhere at the back and lower part of the mount so in fact the wire goes under the GPS and directly on the dash and down over the vent and straight into my multiple power outlet...
    Yeah, I decided that spot was the best way to keep it close to my line of sight without actually interfering with my view of the road, within the constraints of what I could easily reach. In terms of driving, I'd rather have it mounted directly in front of me, all the way down towards the windshield, but I can't reach that far without leaning way forward.

Radar Fanatic

my install (it looks crooked but I fixed it)

V1 is on my sunvisor hardwired into my RVM.