Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Radar Fanatic

Default Looking for a good factory turbo car

used for around 10-15k. It needs to be reliable and very upgradable, with good aftermarket support. I will be putting quite a bit of money to make it go faster over time.

I have been checking out the Impreza WRX and was told the only difference between it and the STI was turbo size and body styling. And that all wheel drive is good for acceleration and handling I hear.

I am mainly looking for VERY quick acceleration, don't care so much about top speed (With alot of mods it should do at least 140)

Any suggestions?

Radar Fanatic

Your best bet is a WRX.. not a STi and yes there is a huge different in them depending on the year. (Suspension, body, engine, interior)

2002 is when they finally started making them factory turboed with the 2.0. Then a couple of years later they brought the STi to the states and it came with a 2.5L while the WRX's were still 2.0. Nowadays the newer models (05+ I think) are all 2.5L.

If you are wanting to start with a cheaper factory turbo WRX I would go with a 2002 WRX which are nicknamed the "bugeyes".

Old Timer

if u get a wrx/sti/evo u will NEED and rd and jammers

Radar Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by hockey005 View Post
    if u get a wrx/sti/evo u will NEED and rd and jammers
    Lol yeah that won't be a problem.

I think I am going to go with a WRX and do this:

Upgrade the top mounted intercooler
    Add a boost controller
    Upgrade the headers

Not sure where this will get me on the quarter but I am hoping I will be able to turn up the boost a few pounds

Professional

Both very good cars but have fun working on those boxster engines... They are a PITA, it took me and my friend damn near 2 hours to change the spark plugs lol.

Radar Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by Ovencleaner View Post
    Lol yeah that won't be a problem.

I think I am going to go with a WRX and do this:

Upgrade the top mounted intercooler
    Add a boost controller
    Upgrade the headers

Not sure where this will get me on the quarter but I am hoping I will be able to turn up the boost a few pounds
    It would be easier to just upgrade the intercooler, exhaust, intake, pressure pipes. I wouldn't mess with the headers unless you have everything else done.

Exhaust is usually the first Subaru modification on the factory turbo motors because they come with a insane amount of cats.

Radar Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by noTe View Post
    It would be easier to just upgrade the intercooler, exhaust, intake, pressure pipes. I wouldn't mess with the headers unless you have everything else done.

Exhaust is usually the first Subaru modification on the factory turbo motors because they come with a insane amount of cats.
    Say I upgrade the intake with a cold air, bigger hood intercooler, exhaust, and pressure pipes. I am new to the whole concept of tuning, but after what modifications do I need to reprogram the ECU?

Also, a boost controller is what is used to increase or reduce the pressure the turbo is creating right? Since the car is a factory turbo car, would I need to replace any engine components to increase performance to around STI level? And to do STI level, I will need a bigger turbo right?

My ultimate goal is to be able to beat Cobra's (the supercharged ones)

What do you guys think I am going to need to pay to get my car to this level?

Radar Fanatic

Say I upgrade the intake with a cold air, bigger hood intercooler, exhaust, and pressure pipes. I am new to the whole concept of tuning, but after what modifications do I need to reprogram the ECU?
    You don't have to but it's a good idea to because you'll get more power.

Also, a boost controller is what is used to increase or reduce the pressure the turbo is creating right? Since the car is a factory turbo car, would I need to replace any engine components to increase performance to around STI level? And to do STI level, I will need a bigger turbo right?
    It increases pressure that makes more power. I wouldn't do that unless you've had the car for awhile and have the proper modifications to back up the increased boost. You can do damage to the turbo and motor if you increase the boost incorrectly.

My ultimate goal is to be able to beat Cobra's (the supercharged ones)
    Well, I know someone around my area that has one running near 500 HP. Cobra's have insane top end along with Vettes. If you want to beat Cobras a WRX won't do it without major major amounts of money. You'd be better off buying a used Evo 9 for 18-22k and then dumping 6-7k into a big turbo and motor upgrade. You might be close to running door to door with them.

What do you guys think I am going to need to pay to get my car to this level?
    With a WRX? Alot. Visit North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club and you'll learn alot there.

If you want to buy a factory turbo car that can beat a supercharged cobra... buy a new Nissan GT-R. They go about 8 times what you are looking to spend though. Haha.
    Last edited by noTe; 06-24-2008 at 03:00 PM.

Radar Fanatic

Ok for now I think I am just going to do a few basic mods...

Cold air intake
    Exhaust
    Better top mounted Intercooler

Then I will get it tuned.

No boost controller till I am more experienced.

I heard from a few people that it is pointless to get a nice intake on a turbo car, is this true or just stupid? Since the turbo is pulling in alot of air, the intake does not really make a difference.

I probably need to get used to having twice the horsepower and torque stock before I go any farther....

Right now I am at about 90 whp and 90 lbs wheel torque....
    Last edited by Ovencleaner; 06-24-2008 at 04:31 PM.

Radar Fanatic

Ok for now I think I am just going to do a few basic mods...

Cold air intake
    Exhaust
    Better top mounted Intercooler

Then I will get it tuned.

No boost controller till I am more experienced.

I heard from a few people that it is pointless to get a nice intake on a turbo car, is this true or just stupid? Since the turbo is pulling in alot of air, the intake does not really make a difference.

I probably need to get used to having twice the horsepower and torque stock before I go any farther....

Right now I am at about 90 whp and 90 lbs wheel torque....
    You can always just get a OEM sized replacement filter like a K&N to go into the stock intake box and that alone helps. Just stick to basic mods and researching and you'll save alot of money by picking the right parts the first time instead of buying wrong parts, reselling them and losing money, and then buying the correct ones.