Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Gas prices!

Radar Fanatic

Default Gas prices!

Da mn these gas prices are getting out of control!

Thinking of selling my car and getting a 4 cylinder....

what do you guys think?

Professional

you're not going to gain that much by going to a 4cyl.

I have an Impala with the 3800 and I get between 30 and 35mpg. Downsizing to a 4cyl smaller car is not worth it to me. I'll gain what, 2 mpg? woo.

Radar Fanatic

i wish i got 30-35MPG. i get a whopping 12.3MPG. and having to pay premium, its not fun. but you gotta do what you gotta do.

Power User

I really dont care about Gas prices as my work pays for mine

Speed Demon

Default Re: Gas prices!

Quote Originally Posted by f_399
    Da mn these gas prices are getting out of control!

Thinking of selling my car and getting a 4 cylinder....

what do you guys think?
    I see you have a intake. How about headers and bigger exhaust 3.25" and test pipe and muffler? Spend $300 on a exhaust upgrade should get 10 mpg.

You arnt going to gain much by going inline 4. What kind of gas mileage are you getting now?

Yoda of Radar

I dunno about 10mpg total. Forget the test pipe on the cat, just rip out the mufflers. Or if you have a resonator, ditch that, or leave it and ditch the muffler...

I know on the old Saab Turbo the exhaust system went from the turbo to the catalyst, a pipe to the muffler, then from there over the rear axle and out the back. On the non-turbo cars there was a resonator incoporated in the pipe after the catalyst, because the turbocharger deadens a lot of exhaust noise. But everyone with a nonturbo has a turbo exhaust now because it gives you a bit better milage (maybe 1/4 MPG) but it's also a lot cheaper...

Speed Demon

Quote Originally Posted by stalker
    I really dont care about Gas prices as my work pays for mine
    Today my friends dad was telling me it cost him "$61 to fill up"....im said "same here and it last at most a week"....he laughed and said, "at least my company pays for mine"

Power User

haha ahh yes the joys of free fuel

Radar Fanatic

I gained fuel economy going from a 5-cyl to a 4-cyl but I don't know that it's the number of cylinders alone that makes a difference. The Honda weighs closer to 3000lb instead of 3400lb. I think that the engine management system is also tuned much more toward fuel efficiency than the Volvo was. The Volvo couldn't break 29.5mpg no matter how I drove and 26 was about my average. In the Honda my lowest has been 28.5mpg, highest 36.8, and my average over the last 2000 miles was 31.5 overall. (I created a spreadsheet for all of my fuel and mileage data on Monday...I'm sick.) The nice thing is that I didn't give anything up. The new car is quicker!

If you are looking for better fuel economy you can definitely get it. But you have to look at the total package.

Yoda of Radar

Generally speaking, the weight and aerodynamics of the car are what determines fuel milage.

Theoretically you can run at 8000r/min in 1st gear and drive on the highway and get the same milage as usual. But, friction inside the engine and gearbox (very slight on a stick) gives you worse milage that you'd expect.

So the best milage is the engine turning as slowly as possible (without overloading), the widest throttle position possible (ie a smaller engine at WOT), with the car moving forward at a moderate speed, the car weighing as little and having as little aerodynamic drag as possible.