Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Professional

Default WTF happened? Is the dealer scamming me?

Friday I was headed to my girlfriend's house when my 2002 Infiniti I35 died. I pulled over on the side of the interstate. I tried restarting the vehicle. When in the ignition spot, all lights would come on the dash as normal and other electronic equipment worked fine. When I turned it to start, nothing at all would happen. I didn't do anything so I had it towed to a Nissan Dealership since they were very close compared to my normal private mechanic.

I had a feeling it was the crankshaft position sensor since there was a recall on many 2002 Nissan/Infiniti vehicles because it was shut the car down like that. I had seen it happen in two other 2002 Nissans personally.

The dealer said it was going to be Monday before they could take a look. Monday I called them and told them not to look at it yet cause I wanted to replace the old battery that was in there first to see if that helped. The guy seemed pissed that I wouldn't buy a Nissan battery and the fact that I was doing it myself. I also kind of got into it with him because he wouldn't give me the key. He wanted to hold on to it the whole time. The battery didn't help, so I told them to take a look.

Today they called me with "bad news". They said there was NO OIL IN MY ENGINE! I was at a loss for words. There were no signs of anything wrong with my engine or not having enough oil. There have been no leaks, and it didn't apprear to be buring any oil out of the exhaust. I even reviewed my camera from that afternoon to listen for any sounds or other wierd signs and nothing!

I seriously feel like I'm being scammed by the dealer. Has anyone heard or seen an engine without ANY oil not make any noise before and as it completely seizes up?

Power User

I don't know what happened, but dealers always scare me. I'm not saying the tech lied, but I would have someone take a second look at that. I do find it hard to believe you going through, what 5 quarts, of oil, without any idea. (Wouldn't be surprised if they are trying to pull something and get a green light, without you checking...like something they would pull on a dumb blonde.)

While its on the tow truck (or really out of the dealers firm grasp), pop the hood and look at the dipstick. If the shut-off happened INSTANTEOUSLY, you might be right on the CPS or something that through a code to the ECU as critical and to shut-down.

If it chugged at all, like it would be running out of petrol, I would look at something else.

Professional

you would have notice if the oil was leaking.........it cant just dissapear..........

Advanced Member

Complete The oil light would have come on when the pressure had dropped enough to trigger it. At highway speeds, some cars would suffer catastrophic engine failure. Others like my VW would keep on running like a champ for an extra 3 miles. I think the dealer is jerking you bro. How many miles do you have on the car and also did the engine seize or shake before turning off? Did it crank over when you attempted to start it? If absolutely nothing happened, not even a starter engagement or lights in the car dimming, I would get my car out of that dealer ASAP. It could be a blown ignition/ second ignition fuse or a fuseable link. I've seen people get worked for thousands because of blown fuse in the dash or under the hood before. I work on all my cars myself, including the new ones. Dealers are incompetent.
    Puma Power!!!
    Don't be a lemming!! Follow your own destiny!!!

Ducati Team 2013 FORZA DUCATI!!!!

Yoda of Radar

Total scam.

No way your oil just disappeared while you were driving without any indication.

Have another mechanic look at it.

That's why they call them the stealership.

Professional

Quote Originally Posted by PMoth View Post
    Complete The oil light would have come on when the pressure had dropped enough to trigger it. At highway speeds, some cars would suffer catastrophic engine failure. Others like my VW would keep on running like a champ for an extra 3 miles. I think the dealer is jerking you bro. How many miles do you have on the car and also did the engine seize or shake before turning off? Did it crank over when you attempted to start it? If absolutely nothing happened, not even a starter engagement or lights in the car dimming, I would get my car out of that dealer ASAP. It could be a blown ignition/ second ignition fuse or a fuseable link. I've seen people get worked for thousands because of blown fuse in the dash or under the hood before. I work on all my cars myself, including the new ones. Dealers are incompetent.
    Car only has 80K on it. No jerking or anything. I actually didn't even realize it had died right away until I went to speed up (was on a straight strech of interstate) to pass a car and I didn't get any respose. It was just like I had turned the car off and was coasting.

When I tried starting, nothing happen. The starter didn't try to do anything and no sound from any parts. That is why I think it was some electrical part.

Yeah, I don't trust dealers which is why I've never taken my car to one before and it will be the last.

Thanks for the reponses guys. I just couldn't believe my engine would seize up and I would have no signs at all.

Power User

well has the idiot ever hear of an oil pressure light, im sure you wouldve noticed if that red light was on. . . and even if the moor had seized im pretty sure youd atleast hear the starter motor trying its very best to do something

Old Timer

yea there is no freakin way thats right..u would def. see blue smoke and smell the oil burning..and this would have occured over a period of time..not 100% of ur oil gone in 3 min

Yoda of Radar

Quote Originally Posted by hockey005 View Post
    yea there is no freakin way thats right..u would def. see blue smoke and smell the oil burning..and this would have occured over a period of time..not 100% of ur oil gone in 3 min
    You can lose ALL of your oil in moments if you break your oil pan or lose your oil drain plug.

But you'd know.

Radar Fanatic

The cam and crank position sensors seem to be a common problem among cars equipped with the VQ35. If its possible, you should have it checked with an OBDII scanner. I once caught the Ford/Mazda dealer in town trying to pull a fast one w/my brothers car denying warranty work when his mazda millenia with only 23k miles had one sensor after another sensor failing. The dealer first stated that AutoZones scanner was faulty, then he said O'Reillys scanner was faulty, then said Advance Auto Parts scanner was faulty. A quick call to one of the Ford/Mazda corporate places solved the problem and the car was traded in for a Nissan after only 9 months of ownership.

They don't call them the stealership for nothing.