Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: NEW CAR!

Radar Fanatic

Default NEW CAR!

i'll be getting a new car here at the end of oct. its a 03 Jetta 1.8T with the auto tranny w/tiptronic (i wish it was a manual but oh well). its a buddy of mines who plays on the Nationwide Tour and the lease is going to be up so im buying it from him. i just wanted to know if anyone here has any comments on the car, what they like, what they dont like. so anyone that has one or has driven one or if you know anything about them please feel free to post. thanks.

Speed Demon

whats wrong with the "gatta?"

Radar Fanatic

Gas is killing me. im still goin to hang on to it cuz its a great SUV and i love having all the room but getting 12MPG isnt working for me. Im lookin foreward to the Jetta though, im planning on adding an upgraded turbo, full nuespeed or Remus exhaust, lower it about 2", black rims, and tint the windows out cuz its black. theres goin to be no RICE goin into this car i can assure you lol. im looking foreward to the 25MPG too. but i just couldnt keep paying $70 to fill up, my money was progressively going down. its goin t o be a good run-around car, ill still use the Navi to go camping and off-roading and get into it to hear the V8 FLOWMASTER tone that i love.

Speed Demon

I hear ya on the gas. I get about 15 on the HWY 13 in city. I was even considering getting a runaround car due to stupid gas prices

Professional

The Jetta for gas purposes is not a bad idea. However your moving way too fast, first you want a car for gas purposes and now you are talking about turbos? Saving Gas and Fast cars dont mix because, with a turbo in there, trust me.... you will be stepping on it. I have a vette that can get really good gas mileage, but I can never seen to resist the urge to not step on it.

Radar Fanatic

oh i know i wont be getting the best MPG i could be but anything is better than the 12 im getting now lol. im guessing ill get prob 22 or so, which is fine with me. if anyone has a rough estimate to what a manual tranny swap would cost i would appreciate it, cuz i really hate to have a car in a auto cuz i love driving manual. and your prob right i wont be able to resist stepping on from time to time but im goin to have to try cuz i dont need anymore tickets.

Yoda of Radar

Honestly when dealing with a 2003 Jetta 1.8t, just sell the car and get one with a manual transmission. At least here in Montreal, automatic-transaxle Volkswagens are rather rare and hard to find, but manual cars are all over the place. The Jetta is one of the best selling cars here.

To swap a manual in, you'd need to of course purchase the transaxle unit, clutch pedals, master cylinder, flywheel, and also you'd need to reprogram the computer so it doesn't keep trying to look for the transmission. In all it is definately not worth it. Any cut-price deal you can get by buying from your friend is easily eliminated by the sheer cost of the work.

And if you are worried about milage, go for a Jetta, but get a TDI! They are very popular here, and routinely get around 43-45 miles per gallon. The torque output is much more than the standard engine (2.0 which is painfully slow) although a 1.8t would probably eat it. Not by enough that I would get any other Volks.

Professional

Yea, manual tranny swaps are very expensive. Especially since you did not convert a manual to auto first. Switching auto to manual will require a lot more work. My advice is to just keep it an automatic, or if you are going to buy a Jetta, buy one that allready has a manual trans. I understand your friend is selling you it. How much is he selling it to you for and how much can you buy one in the same condition with manual trans for? Other than that, just buy and keep as is.

Speed Demon

As stated earlier, you wanted to buy this car for gas purposes.

You are probably spending more money investing in the car and the accessories then you would be saving gas with the "gatta."

You ought to think hard about what you are trying to get yourself into and see if you will be saving money in the long run.

Yoda of Radar

Quote Originally Posted by CLTX11
    I hear ya on the gas. I get about 15 on the HWY 13 in city. I was even considering getting a runaround car due to stupid gas prices
    Normally I would agree with you, but when you figure savings vs. insurance and the money to buy the car do you really save anything?