Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast
    Old Timer

Default How come manual shifts are talked about anymore?

I was wondering why manual shift transmissions w/ a real clutch aren't talked about anymore? Is this one of those shhh topics or what?
    Last edited by proudNMAmember; 12-07-2008 at 07:44 AM. Reason: Won't let me change are to aren't in title, upset

Radar Fanatic

Default Re: How come manual shifts are talked about anymore?

What do you want to talk about?

I love manuals but mine is becoming a pain. It has been resisting going into gear. At first, the throwout bearing was really noisy so I replaced that hoping it was the only problem (causing the gear selection problem). That wasn't it. So, next the linkage had a little play, so I had that replaced. It wasn't that. So it must be the synchros (when I double clutch the problem goes away). My immediate solution is to flush the fluid to get the bits of metal out of there and double clutch until I can afford to get it fixed.

Radar Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by 9500ier View Post

I love manuals but mine is becoming a pain. It has been resisting going into gear. At first, the throwout bearing was really noisy so I replaced that hoping it was the only problem (causing the gear selection problem). That wasn't it. So, next the linkage had a little play, so I had that replaced. It wasn't that. So it must be the synchros (when I double clutch the problem goes away). My immediate solution is to flush the fluid to get the bits of metal out of there and double clutch until I can afford to get it fixed.
    I had the same problem with my Honda, i just put in some honda MTF.

cleared it up pretty well considering the transmission has 191,xxx miles on it.

This stuff has a good reputation, it's called GM syncromesh, and Pennzoil makes this stuff too for non GM's.

Products - Synchromesh Fluid

I'm not sure if it's operable in a BMW transmission, but I would look into it if you're looking to help out rough synchros.

Radar Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by 9500ier View Post

Also when I flushed mine I never had bit of metal come out, I believe most transmissions have a magnet at the bottom of the transmission housing to catch and prevent metal shaving from 'floating' around the actual gears.

I could be wrong though

Stealthed Like a B-2

I loved the manual tranmission but also didn't like it in some aspects. I think when you get older it wears on you too. I had the same problem too 95, for some reason third gear was the worst/best. It was the easiest gear in terms of being new at manual transmission, the car not jumping/shaking or after you get good the easiest to go into. But also the hardest because like in a race for some reason and it wasn't me it was hard as **** to shift from second to third, a lot I would actually not shift at all just put it in neutral. Its like it couldn't shift that fast.

I personally love the M3 SMG transmission and also tranmissions that use either steptronic, tiptonic, or paddle shifters. The m3 is so nice because its actually has all three transmissions in one. It has automatic, a manual gearbox (but not clutch, which kinda sucks), and paddles behind the wheels. I perfer padles over anything as I feel the are the most comftorable and they make you a better driver/safer.

Try some fluids, those often help out.

Radar Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by Tsax444 View Post
    Also when I flushed mine I never had bit of metal come out, I believe most transmissions have a magnet at the bottom of the transmission housing to catch and prevent metal shaving from 'floating' around the actual gears.

I could be wrong though
    The drainplug is magnetic, but since all the synchros are shot, I have to imagine that there is some stuff not stuck to it, because its full. I do not really know though... Also, fresh fluid should smooth things out a little.

Radar Fanatic

I've never had a car other than a manual. In fact, none of my current cars even had an option for anything other than manual. Autos are made for the masses.

Lead Foot

With the new crop of semi-automatic transmissions you can shift the gears without working a clutch. You get near perfect shifts and they're great at the track. These units have taken the lustre off the old manual transmissions. And besides, with the traffic these days bumper to bumper everywhere a clutch becomes tedious.

Advanced Member

Manual transmissions are fun but they get very annoying for the driving that I generally do

I love driving around the family pick-up truck with a 5 speed when I am at my parents house and just driving around town. Otherthan that I hate it. Alot of that comes from living on Long Island. When my family moved to LI we only had manual transmissions but after dealing with the NYC traffic on any road trip the cars that came after were auto's

Driving through NYC twice and getting stuck in an hour long traffic jam each time I have given up driving the truck distances. Also it should be noted that this truck is severely under powered and tops out at a massive 76mph downhill...

Now that I don't live on Long Island I can see myself getting a manual car for my next one. but it needs to be as powerful or have the same amount of torque that my volvo does

Spoiler: show

Radar Detectors-V1 & BEL v995
    Laser Jammer-Laser Interceptor Quad
    GPS Camera Locator-Cheetah C100
    GPS Nav-Garmin nuvi w/Trapster
    CB Radio-Galaxy DX-949 w/Wilson 500
    Scanner-RS Pro-96

Speedtrap Crasher

Mazda has been making the best manual transmission for a few years now. Both the MX5 and the RX8 is awesome but even the Speed3 my ex drove was a badass manual.

But, A good working Manu-matic beats your basic manual any day of the week. Early on they were kind of slow but some of the new clutchless manuals are quicker than a traditional shifter. When the Lexus IS-F arrived it brought Ferrari style clutchless boxes to the sub six-figure crowd. Now it's only a matter of time until the Toyota Sentra-SR has one.
    Project "BONES" Speed Lab:
    Valentine One, Blinder M47 "All Front Configuration"
    Pro97 Police Scanner
    1 Saves / 3 Strikes as of 8/22/2009
    Estimated saves in U.S. Dollars: $200