Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Newcomer

Default Does brand of gas matter?

I was told recently by my girlfriend's mechanic that BP is the best gas available and that Shell is "not bad."

Prior to that I was told by a friend of mine who is an attorney for Exxon that Exxon gas is (you guessed it) the best gas available.

And long before that I was told by my ex-wife who works for a consumer advocacy group that as long as the gas company isn't "cheating," .... i.e. not selling one type of gas and claiming it to be higher, then they are all the same ... and that there are groups that go around and test gas to weed out bad gas stations.

OK ... so who the hell is right? I'm getting stressed out driving around on E looking for that elusive, green BP station :-)

Professional

Good question. Im not sure myself but I was told that Chevron is the best here in Washington. Im not sure if it is true though. I honestly dont know what to think anymore about what we are really getting in our gas. Here and there I will throw some 104 octane booster in my vette to make sure it keeps clean.

Radar Fanatic

All gas IS the same. no matter what station. the only thing that varies is the grade of the gas. take this from the step-son of a guy who owns his own gasoline distributing company and who owns over 100 stations himself. my stepdad only distributes to Shell and Citgo, his terminal(where they keep all their gas in thier tanks) is right next to the BP terminal. and ive asked him before, i said "whos gas is better.he goes its all the same. it all comes through the same pipeline. so there is no better or worse gas. just make sure you put the right grade in your car that your engine requires. ive heard of many peep putting 87 in their navigator when it requires 93. the engine will start to knock and can start stalling uncontrollably.

Scratonicity Groupie

I wish it was all the same in Delaware, here we have no regulations or laws that state what quality the gas should be at. I found when I had my WRX that shell gas made the car just purrrr. When I changed over to the EVO shell was something awful so I started getting gas at the local safe way or wawa cause its usually cheaper and she runs just fine

whenever i'm in PA or Maryland I ONLY stop at Sunoco so I can get 94 baby and man she just drinks that goodness!

bottomline dont buy DE gas it sucks!

Professional

I'd take a few minutes and review what some of the prominent mfrs are doing about getting better gasoline: http://www.toptiergas.com/

There was a very good article in C&D covering this about 2 - 3 months ago. I believe it was Pat Bedard's editorial for the month.

Certainly worth making yourself aware of since all products are not created equal.

YMMV :wink:

(BTW, there are 17 different regional formulations for gasoline sold in the USA.)

Professional

Advanced Member

Actually it doesn't matter at all... They all some from the same place and refineries. This is comingv from a petro engineer who works for OPEC. (Parent of a saudi friend i had in prep school) A recent news show went to NASCAR gathering and asked the patrols what the difference and they all thought there was a different but then exec of Mobil/Exxon and Shell said saying something of the sort of all the no name gas is surplus from the major suppliers...Even the America Petroleum institute will tell you name brand don't matter
    WITH GAS PRICES AT ALL TIME HIGHS, IS IT SAFE TO FILL UP WITH NO NAME GAS?

I'M TALKING ABOUT THOSE OFF BRAND GAS STATIONS.... ALONG WITH GAS SOLD AT WAREHOUSE STORES LIKE SAMS AND COSTCO.

ACCORDING TO THE AMERICAN PETROLEUM INSTITUTE, NO NAME GAS IS SIMPLY SURPLUS BRAND NAME GAS.

IT CAN COME FROM SHELL, EXXON, OR BP.

THE ONLY DIFFERENCE: IT DOESN'T HAVE THE SAME ADDITIVES OR DETERGENTS.

ALL GASOLINE HAS TO MEET THE SAME GOVERNMENT QUALITY GUIDELINES.

ITS NOT WATERED DOWN GAS: IT'S SAFE.
    http://www.wcpo.com/external/dwym/7c0ef8.html
    supporting argument:
    http://www.nbc4.com/transportationan...45/detail.html

in most cars it doesn't premeium gas is not really required nor will it make your car recommended to be ran on regular run any better. I know both my sister's Saab and my Volvo require 91 octane minmumly otherwise it will ping if i use less....stupid high reving turbo engines...My family jeep needs regular it will get sluggish with 89 or above
    Quote Originally Posted by thestaton
    I wish it was all the same in Delaware, here we have no regulations or laws that state what quality the gas should be at. I found when I had my WRX that shell gas made the car just purrrr. When I changed over to the EVO shell was something awful so I started getting gas at the local safe way or wawa cause its usually cheaper and she runs just fine

whenever i'm in PA or Maryland I ONLY stop at Sunoco so I can get 94 baby and man she just drinks that goodness!

bottomline dont buy DE gas it sucks!
    Gas is first regulated by US government then has to get past State regulations if the state has them

Spoiler: show

Radar Detectors-V1 & BEL v995
    Laser Jammer-Laser Interceptor Quad
    GPS Camera Locator-Cheetah C100
    GPS Nav-Garmin nuvi w/Trapster
    CB Radio-Galaxy DX-949 w/Wilson 500
    Scanner-RS Pro-96

Radar Fanatic

couldnt have said it better crazyVOLVOrob.

not all cars need premium but if it says "only use premium" then thats your first clue

Advanced Member

Quote Originally Posted by A-TownNavi
    couldnt have said it better crazyVOLVOrob.

not all cars need premium but if it says "only use premium" then thats your first clue
    says that on my mom's volvo wagon and i put reuglar in it and no pinging or knocking my old mercedes 190e used premium but i put regular in it after i had a mix up at the pump(first day car was out of winter storage and I was use to driving the jeep. There was no knocking or pinging

Spoiler: show

Radar Detectors-V1 & BEL v995
    Laser Jammer-Laser Interceptor Quad
    GPS Camera Locator-Cheetah C100
    GPS Nav-Garmin nuvi w/Trapster
    CB Radio-Galaxy DX-949 w/Wilson 500
    Scanner-RS Pro-96

Power User

I would strongly suggest, it depends on how old the tanks are in the ground, and how good the testing is done to keep tabs, other than that, yes all gas "should" be the equivalent, some brands have better detergents, but that normally is primum gas, I just use regular.

Most people have NO clue what a higher octane gas really means, most cars unless they are turbo and high compression will run fine on regular, the computer sensors take care of firing the spark, later to avoid predetenation.

But if you car does need the higher octane, then that what it needs!

That top tier gas link was interesting, have to look into that some more, not sure if its trust worthy or just a stupid aggrement, for all you know the parent owner, owns all of those investments some way or another, and this just help direct the money in his favor.