Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default My new wheels for my car have arrived

currently I am in the process of restoring my 79 TA here are some pics of my new 17x9 wheels I ordered a few months ago. a side by side with my polished 15x8 and my 3 year old. (the 15 are stock WS6 wheels)

Rod Blagojevich: I'm Lawful, 'Feel Free' To Tape Me

chad dornsife for president in 2012!!!

Default Re: My new wheels for my car have arrived

some more:

hear is some from before I started the restoration. it is in primer right now waiting for paint.

when I started out I was just going to repaint it and I ended up replacing every suspension, steering and brake component (upgrading them all with NOS vintage performance parts and new performance parts) on the car along with striping all of the undercoating off and repainting the underside.

it will be the original red color. Mayan red paint code 75.

the car is being restored to original with NOS Herb Adams VSE suspension and chassis components. these components where available over the counter or as packages to build what he called a "fire am". sort of like the firehawk was for the 4th gens and Herb actually worked for SLP in the 90's.

Radar Fanatic

Sweet ride. I remember we were talking about it on the Rally board before being chastized for being off topic. I have a soft spot in my heart for the T/A's and Z-28's
    Glad to see you are making it a stout handling car instead of a poser like so many people do. Keep us posted on the revival.
    Those rims are sweet. Custom made for that car. You just cant beat that.

I have driven this car hard. I am building it to be driven even harder lol. I look at it this way I can restore it once I can restore it again no big deal. my goal for the car is to build it using as many NOS performance parts I can find and using modern parts that are close to or are GM parts. I plan on taking it out on the track for some road course driving and maybe even some autocrossing.

the brakes I am using are 3rd gen 1LE rotor which are 12" along with b-body spindles for a 90's impala SS (which they still sell new) that relocate the calipers to fit the rotors.

some of the suspension parts are NOS VSE parts made by Herb Adams and the other stuff is new but are just improved VSE parts so they look the same.

here is a parts list so far:

VSE front and rear sway bars with heim joint end links
    VSE adjustable shocks
    solid aluminum body mounts (VSE style)
    front structure braces (improved VSE style)
    VSE modified stock front and rear springs (relocated rear spring front eye bolt location and shorter front springs with stock spring rate)
    lower contol arm bushings replaced with steel sphirical bearings (improved VSE style but press in not weld in like the VSE version)
    tubular upper control arms with solid steel bushings
    12:1 quick ratio bullit steering box
    braided stainless lines

and I am sure there is things I am missing but I can't think of them right now.
    for the interior I will be puting in some corbeau seats if I can find the correct style that was available through VSE if not I will use these which are close:

http://www.corbeau.com/products/fixe...eats/clubman/#

the only thing left to do is paint the car and have someone custom make me the fire am decal for the hood as I alread have the correct fender decals.
    Last edited by lugnuts; 02-10-2009 at 10:23 AM.

Advanced Member

BOOO Automatic = no fun

Spoiler: show

Radar Detectors-V1 & BEL v995
    Laser Jammer-Laser Interceptor Quad
    GPS Camera Locator-Cheetah C100
    GPS Nav-Garmin nuvi w/Trapster
    CB Radio-Galaxy DX-949 w/Wilson 500
    Scanner-RS Pro-96

Speed Demon

as soon as i saw the honeycomb wheels i knew what you had. and i love them. my mom had a 77 bandit edition then a 79 black with red int. i had my turn to buy a red one just like yours except a 78 for only 6000 bucks!!it just needed to be washed!! i however turned it down and regret everytime i see a t/a..btw nice wheels!!

Quote Originally Posted by crazyVOLVOrob View Post
    BOOO Automatic = no fun
    that will be a later upgrade. there were not very 4 speeds made back then so they are hard to find and I have had this car for over 10 years now. there is a kit to convert it over to a 5 speed. I will eventually get this:

ford transmission swaps | tremec | mopar restoration parts | automatic transmission, camaro transmission

if it is any consolation I do have a Hurst dual gate shifter in it now. and the valve body in the trans allows me to stay in any gear as long as I want, in other words if I am in 1st it won't shift into 2nd till I shift it into 2nd or I can just put it into drive and let the trans do the work.

Radar Fanatic

I had a 79 Z-28 I used to run at Orlando Speedworld. It was auto and I went thru several trannies. I used to treat them as if they were disposable.
    I could cut a near perfect light with those autos pretty consistatly but they had manual valve body and other race mods. It was pretty fun to drive on the street but I had problems with brake bleed down because of low vacuum.(way too much cam for the street). Had to sell my baby when I moved to NC because I couldnt get it inspected here. not near street legal.
    Dont ever sell yours. You will regret it. Pass in on to your boy. He seems to already have the bug.

hey if you ever want another one my brother has a shop in Charlotte and has 2 2nd gens one camaro and one TA that he has had for years. he can always find you one. he can also get you a sticker he knows people

I don't ever plan on selling the car I have had too much fun with over the years and coincidentally I have also put several tranny's in it. I've also got into a lot of trouble in it as well and gotten away with even more

oh yea he loves cars and TA's. in fact right now he made me put on S&B for the second time this week. but I don't mind, it is one of my favorites.