Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Lead Foot

Default WOW, Good Tires Make SUCH a difference

When I originally baught my car back in April it had the stock tires on it and they had some tread left on them, but not a whole lot. They lasted me over the summer, but I decided it was time to get them changed. I did my research and especially liked www.tirerack.com which gives you a ton of information about tires. I enventually chose to go with the Yokohama Avid V4. They are rated #1 for High Performance All-Season tires and have very good reviews from just about everyone that has them. Not only that, but they are moderately priced as well. So anyways, I get these put on my car yesterday and I want to see what these can do. I get on the my normal cloverleaf on ramp at 20, then increase to 30, 40, 50, and only at about 60 MPH do they start to make the smallest squeel. I'm sure they would have held longer, but I was on the highway by then. These tires are AMAZING. They are supposedly just as good in the rain as well. I can't wait to see. It almost feels like I am driving a totally different car! I'm sure this is how the car is suppose to perform, considering it is a sports car, it just never had the right tires on it.

Just wanted to let everyone know that Good Tires on your car can be like night and day. I didn't realize that until now.

Professional

I noticed you put these on an eclipse and I know the eclipse is horrible when it comes to road noise, did you notice any difference with these tires?

I have the Avid A4 as well on my Avenger and I love them, I have only had them for about 6 months or so and so far so good!!
    They are a great tire at a good price!!
    I have not tried them in the snow yet but that will be coming here in a few months.
    As far as the rain they do do a good job as well. I have only had hydroplaning one time and it was raining very heavy and I should have been driving a little slower.

I bought these because they also are very quiet when it comes to road noise. I hope they stay that way as they start to wear.
    I have bought other tires that started out quiet but got noiser as they wore. I guess time will tell.

It is hard to beat the Yokohama tires for both performance and price!

Lead Foot

So far road noise is very minimal. The cabin itself is a bit noisy, but that isn't the tires fault. We'll see though, as time goes on.

Professional

Quote Originally Posted by leepoffaith
    So far road noise is very minimal. The cabin itself is a bit noisy, but that isn't the tires fault. We'll see though, as time goes on.
    Yes the tires is not the only fault when it comes to road noise with the Eclipse but every little bit helps.

I had to end up stripping the whole interior and putting in sound deadner to get it to be quiet. The car would hum me to sleep every time I rode in it

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by boomerman
    Quote Originally Posted by leepoffaith
    Yes the tires is not the only fault when it comes to road noise with the Eclipse but every little bit helps.

I had to end up stripping the whole interior and putting in sound deadner to get it to be quiet. The car would hum me to sleep every time I rode in it
    lol
    rocka by-baby. hehehe

when youre really ready to pull almost .8-.9 G's. try michelin pilot sport 2.

Advanced Member
    5680 Oakbrook Parkway Suite 149 Norcross, GA

Good tires are worth every penny.

Experienced

Yokohama Avid A4 is a decent, but pretty average all season performance tire. It is decent in the snow, good in the rain, but be ready, it will wear out very quickly. They just don't last that long, and if I remeber right, they get pretty noisy when they are worn (most tires in this catergory do though). I also didn't get very much feedback from the tire about when it was about to slip, so one second everything would seem fine, the next I've totally lost traction. Stock tires on most cars are crap.

I dropped 6 tenths of a second in the quarter running the Pirelli P-Zero Nero M+S. Its the best all season tire for performance I've run (I've run 4, also some Dunlop' and Bridgestones), and it handles snow ok, its is truly an amazing tire. So while the Avid's are pretty decent, next time I whole heartedly recommend you try the Pirelli's.

Newcomer

I had my brand new <SPAM LINK RMOVED - jimbonzzz> installed yesterday! I can feel the difference compared to the OEM I bought a year ago! 8) 8)

Power User

Yeah man, YOKOHAMA FTW, ALL THE WAY, i had the YK420s those things were sticky as hell I still got 2 on my back set, while the front are YK520s replacing the two 420s that blew out

Yoda of Radar

um... I have tires that are black 8)