Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Radar Fanatic

Default The lost art of skid recovery

Wow, what a weekend for driving! In addition to the nail-in-the-tire debacle I nearly got to see an SUV roll over in front of me. We were in the center lane of the highway in some moderate rain when we saw a flash of brake lights in the left lane about 800 feet in front of us. I don't exactly know what initiated the incident but a black Saturn Vue managed to lose control and slide across the road. It scared the living hell out of me because within one or two seconds this thing was turned perpendicular to its direction of travel right in front of us and I was waiting for it to go over. Fortunately that didn't happen and the vehicle made it all the way off the right side of the road and rolled backward to a halt. I don't think they hit anything.

Thing is, the driver was doomed from the very beginning. The front wheels were turned away from the direction of the skid the entire time and I don't think he/she ever stopped braking. People need to learn how to deal with these things! Until a driver is exposed to a skid (first time ought to be in a snowy, empty, HUGE parking lot), the gut reaction is to panic and hang on until it's over. Odds are I'm preaching to the choire here, but I really wish drivers were better trained. When I'm rich and famous that's going to be my excuse for going to high-performance driving school. :twisted:

Newcomer

2nd that idea!

Years ago, I was teaching my son how to drive, skid, adjust, whip ****tys, in the snow at a big EMPTY parking lot. Mall security came over with their lights on, *****in, until I had a chance to explain why we were doing it. Then the attitude changed but got, "well, its agood thing to do you just cant do it here."

Im looking in to joining the SCAA and was just surfing thier site in hope of finding a pro driving school in the area.

Any one kno of a pro driving school in the Southern WI area?

Professional

the thing is, I can pull myself out of a skid with a RWD car a lot better than I can with a FWD car. Those Vue's are FWD if I remember right. Most people don't realize that to pull out of a skid you need to keep a steady foot on the throttle (don't gun it, but enough to keep the front wheels moving) and keep your foot OFF the brake, otherwise that will make it worse. I hate FWD.

Yoda of Radar

Nah front wheel drive isn't too bad, push in the clutch and you'll be fine.

It's always nice to think of it from a physics perspective. When the car oversteers (rear end is sliding) there is not enough traction at the back, understeers, not enough traction at the front. So apply a stress to the front or back to correct the imbalance.

Radar Fanatic

IMO there should be two different kinds of tests for when you get your license- one for females, and one for males. cuz i would bet Brick that that was a women driver. and im not saying that all women are bad drivers, just most of them . most just panic and slam on the brakes when something like that happens or if the side of their car runs off the road they over-correct and end up rolling it. the funny thing that i've observed over the years is that to me it looks like most male drivers are relaxed when their driving- not tense, just relaxed. but what i dont get it is that ill look over at women drivers and their sitting right up at the steering wheel, hands are at 10 and 2, eyes are dead straight ahead, and they still manage to not pay attention, they cut you off, they dont go when the light turns green, and they just plain ol' cant drive. now, these kind of women drivers exclude the "mini-van, on the cell phone, im-right your-wrong" women drivers, thats a whole nother story.

i was going to Fla one time with my step-dad, we were on I-75 in the left lane and there was a black Suburban a few cars up in the middle lane, the traffic was moderate to heavy and everyone was cruising right around 85mph. well all of the sudden the Suburban blows a tire, it goes dead right but the driver quickly, but not snappy, brought it back to the left to avoid hitting the car to his right, the entire time his foot was on the brake but he didnt have it slammed. he slowed down quite a bit then got off on the sholder and that was that. im just saying that 98/100 women drivers wouldve slammed on the brakes, over-corrected and nailed the car in the left lane, thus causing a pile-up

Yoda of Radar

Don't say anything about women drivers, you should have seen "Maria Andretti" in that minivan I saw a few days ago

Radar Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by SmaartAasSaabr
    Don't say anything about women drivers, you should have seen "Maria Andretti" in that minivan I saw a few days ago

Radar Fanatic

I don't know. On one episode of Top Gear, Clarkson spent something like two days lapping the Nuremburgring in a diesel Jaguar trying to break 10 minutes, and eventually did. I'm sure he was hamming it up but it looked like he was working pretty hard. Then his "guide" or whatever you would call her took the thing out and did it in 9:20, grinning from ear to ear the whole time. I'm not gonna lie, I was intrigued. :shock: I guess I have a thing for blonde German girls who can drive.

Thing is, for every woman who doesn't know what the hell she is doing there is at least one dude with a size complex, out to exert his dominance over everyone else. "OOhhh, how dare he pass me! I'll show him...I'm going to speed up and stay in his blind spot, then when he finally gets past me I'm going to pass him right back and park in front of him! I AM ALL THAT IS MAN!!!" I guess that's not what we're really talking about here but it drives me just as nuts.

Radar Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by brick
    I don't know. On one episode of Top Gear, Clarkson spent something like two days lapping the Nuremburgring in a diesel Jaguar trying to break 10 minutes, and eventually did. I'm sure he was hamming it up but it looked like he was working pretty hard. Then his "guide" or whatever you would call her took the thing out and did it in 9:20, grinning from ear to ear the whole time. I'm not gonna lie, I was intrigued. :shock: I guess I have a thing for blonde German girls who can drive.

Thing is, for every woman who doesn't know what the hell she is doing there is at least one dude with a size complex, out to exert his dominance over everyone else. "OOhhh, how dare he pass me! I'll show him...I'm going to speed up and stay in his blind spot, then when he finally gets past me I'm going to pass him right back and park in front of him! I AM ALL THAT IS MAN!!!" I guess that's not what we're really talking about here but it drives me just as nuts.
    Oh i know that there are women that can drive out there im just talkin bout the everyday gotta-get-to-work women. and how true how true your second part is. i ran into one the other day on my trip to S. GA. a redneck in his 92' blazer running straight pipes with #'s 3 and 8 on the window got pissed when my flowmasters passed him so he flew passed me, so then floored it passed him and stayed there. some people! now before someone gets pissed, i have nothing against rednecks or NASCAR, considering im a redneck that likes NASCAR. but when someone thinks their on the final lap of the Daytona 500 the entire time their on the Hwy. it gets annoying.

Advanced Member

I have trying to get a FWD to recover from a skid it's nearly impossiblee to me RWD is easy as cake

Spoiler: show

Radar Detectors-V1 & BEL v995
    Laser Jammer-Laser Interceptor Quad
    GPS Camera Locator-Cheetah C100
    GPS Nav-Garmin nuvi w/Trapster
    CB Radio-Galaxy DX-949 w/Wilson 500
    Scanner-RS Pro-96