My roommate's car started up the other night and then the battery was so dead in the morning you couldnt even turn on the map light. It went from cranking power to 0 power in 10 hours. He didn't leave anything on. I do remember some fluid on top of the battery so I am thinking that it might have cracked or something. However, doesn't that acid like melt your skin off? We handled it and didn't was our hands for like an hour. My hands are normal today.
Also, we tried to jumpstart it (before replacing the $90 battery) and we couldn't. I was trying to see if it was the alternator or not before we replaced the battery. Well, since it didn't work we replaced the battery and it started right up. I hooked up my 9500i on the volt meter and it slowly climbed from 12.2 to 14.1..... just like my car with a brand new alternator.
Any ideas? Maybe a bad voltage regulator that overcharged the battery too many times and killed it? The battery is (supposedly) only a year old.