Professional

Default dynamic stability control

hi! :shock:

Just wondering for those of you with newer cars that have Stabilitiy control, i.e. the system where the car's computer will automatically reduce throttle, or brake individual wheels when it senses a skid, or a understeer/over steer.

who of you use this system? do u find it useful?
    i'm talking bout an average driver on the road, not talking about pro racers on a track or something.

I have it on my mazda 6, and someitmes when i'm turning way too fast and i'm about to skid, it will brake for me. Sometimes, if my rear slides out, within a second it does something and stops the slide. it brakes very hard for a sharp duration and somehow it manages to save my skid. Also if i'm accelerating too much and i'm just about to understeer, it will automatically control my throttle to prevent it.

I must say it has prevented my rear from sliding out on several occasions on dry road, and just a few times on wet.

What are your comments?

i know some of u will say "a good driver wont' use this and can control the skid himself" etc. etc.

Professional

What the system does is account for everything a non skilled driver is not compared to a skilled driver. If you are a real skilled driver you will probably not need this option. It can help new drivers handle like pro's who do not use active handling. However, many skilled drivers turn it off when racing because it has many advantages as opposed to keeping it on. I usually turn mine off, unless I am driving in weather conditions, wet roads, rain, etc. If I am going to get real squirrely I will sometimes turn it on as well. If you are a real experienced driver, you will not need this option for normal weather, if you are not a race car driver who wants to still handle and peform very good, turn this option on. I mainly use it for the city and weather conditions. On the freeway, I turn it off. Its really a great option on there, I love it. I remember my friend with a bit older vette, a C4 at the time did not have the active handling option and he said he could not handle in rain. I can handle in rain quite well! Although I most definitely am not stupid enough to race in rain/wet roads it does a great job at helping me keep traction.

Radar Fanatic

My vehicle is an all wheel drive with the DSC... and I have to say it really is great in the snow we get here. Compared to my old front wheel driver with no ABS no DSC, this car is much more stable when maneuvering in snowy conditions, espeically on such maneuvers as switching lanes etc...

I'd say its a good system. My book tells me the only time a normal driver ever needs to turn is off is if you need to "rock" the car to get out of a snow drift or something.

Professional

I find its' a great system especially since i have a front wheel drive car. a lot of times if i'm just casually racing or taking a turn too quick, if i oversteer a bit, it automatically brakes and saves me