Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: OIL ANYONE?

Yoda of Radar

Default OIL ANYONE?

I bought a new 05 Avalanche, and in a short 4 months or so I have put 10K on the clock. I drive about 3000 a month! :x What do you guys think about running synthetic oil? It will have about 150K on the clock or more by the time I have it paid off so I need to prepare it for a busy life.

Thanks.

Professional

dave, what are the recommendations called out by the OM? Aren't they spec-ing a GM LL oil?

Yoda of Radar

Synth is the only way to go on a new car

Yoda of Radar

Quote Originally Posted by nomore55
    dave, what are the recommendations called out by the OM? Aren't they spec-ing a GM LL oil?
    I think it's 5w30. No specific recommendation. I remember when I had my mustang cobra it was 5w20.

Can I go longer between changing oil with synthetic? I guess oil is like beer, everyone has their favorite.

I have heard quakerstate which I used for years called Quakermistake.

Yoda of Radar

How far are you going? The oil would last longer usually but the filter doesn't...

I'd basically stick with the Oil Life Monitor and use synthetic and AC/Delco oil filters. Engine will run like new even at 150k.

Yoda of Radar

Quote Originally Posted by SmaartAasSaabr
    How far are you going? The oil would last longer usually but the filter doesn't...

I'd basically stick with the Oil Life Monitor and use synthetic and AC/Delco oil filters. Engine will run like new even at 150k.
    I have been using regualr at 3K intervals. I was thinking I could go to 5K on synthetic :?: What do you think? Thanks!

Professional

Dave, the newer GM LL oils go 10k miles and more. These are syn products, of course. I'd double check the recommendation in the Owner's Manual. I suspect it will be highly specific if you are permitted to do long drain intervals.

Our newer cars go 10-15k miles (or 1 year) on a single change, I've done the formal oil analyses, it's a beautiful thing! However, the oil recs are highly specific and typically call out an ACEA or mfr's standard....it's not left wide open with a statement saying "use 5W30" :wink:

Yoda of Radar

Quote Originally Posted by davekr
    Quote Originally Posted by SmaartAasSaabr

I have been using regualr at 3K intervals. I was thinking I could go to 5K on synthetic :?: What do you think? Thanks!
    Yeah 3k is very short interval. I'm sure you've got that oil life thing, on synthetic I would do minimum 7 500 miles.

Professional

Dave, doesn't the truck have an on-board oil monitoring system that tells you the oil needs to be changed?

Power User

Default Re: OIL ANYONE?

Quote Originally Posted by davekr
    I bought a new 05 Avalanche, and in a short 4 months or so I have put 10K on the clock. I drive about 3000 a month! :x What do you guys think about running synthetic oil? It will have about 150K on the clock or more by the time I have it paid off so I need to prepare it for a busy life.

Thanks.
    The only reason for you to use a synth. oil is if you plan on extended drain interval's, live in a very harsh climate or are very hard on the engine! If you do none of the above you basically wasting your money, a quality dino will do just as good!

I have done uoa's on both synth. oil and dino and at 3,000mi oci's the wear #'s on both oil's are basically the same!!