Radar Fanatic

Default System suggestions....

I am looking to upgrade the audio in my car... my speakers have always sounded crackly and blown out.

I need some information:

1. I love bass, but some people really overdo it... if you can't hear the music, wtf is the point? What is a good size / powered subwoofer? I need an amp to drive it right? I especially want to avoid that stupid rattle sound... But I am guessing thats not the sub, its something in the car thats loose?
    2. When it comes to midrange and high sounds (speakers and tweeters I guess?), I am just looking for sound to stay clear as I turn it up(pretty loud, but not in complete excess). What brand names should I look for?
    3. Deckwise, what is a good brand that won't break the bank but will get the job done and last? My BOSS deck pannel is all ****ed up, even after a single year of usage.

I don't want to be the loudest person on the block, I just want to enjoy my music (I listen to a diverse range of music, with lots of high and low frequencies).

Suggestions? I am clueless when it comes to audio stuff.

I am trying to do this all for $1000~.

Radar Fanatic

Default Re: System suggestions....

A 12" Alpine Type R sub + decent amp + 4 Alphine tweeters would come to roughly a $1000 before install but I too am not car audio expert.

Experienced

Quote Originally Posted by Ovencleaner View Post
    I am looking to upgrade the audio in my car... my speakers have always sounded crackly and blown out.

I need some information:

1. I love bass, but some people really overdo it... if you can't hear the music, wtf is the point? What is a good size / powered subwoofer? I need an amp to drive it right? I especially want to avoid that stupid rattle sound... But I am guessing thats not the sub, its something in the car thats loose?
    The rattle is usually from their trunk shaking, that happens when people get subs and just crank em up high as hell.

If you dont want a pounding(read deafening) bass a 12" maybe even a 10" sub will be more than enough.

For amp size look at the Watts (rms whatever) on the sub and you will need an amp that delivers atleast that much. So 500 W sub then get a 600 W amp. Generally just leave yourself some room with the amp.

Alpine R subs sound great but in my experience blow easily (I have a tendency to crank them WAY up) so they should be find for you. Generally a decent sub with a proper box will be fine so dont limit yourself to brand name, shop and ask around.
    Rockford punches will give good bass and are also a solid choice.

Another thing to consider is the ohm rating and if it is single or dual because your amp needs to should be able to support all of it.

2. When it comes to midrange and high sounds (speakers and tweeters I guess?), I am just looking for sound to stay clear as I turn it up(pretty loud, but not in complete excess). What brand names should I look for?
    So do you want 2 in 1's (normal door speakers) or component (tweeter is separate, generally more expensive and not worth it for most)?

Most stock door speakers have anywhere from 15-60 Watts of power so you will notice a difference right away. Go with speakers that have around 200 watts of power and that should be more than enough. If you want more high end sound then look for good tweeters in speakers and dont focus as much on wattage and cone material because if it sounds like **** what is the point of turning it up?

Alpine has a very good reputation for their door speakers. Pioneer has good speakers but can sometimes be hard to install. Infinity has worked well for my friends, I dont have any person experience with them.

3. Deckwise, what is a good brand that won't break the bank but will get the job done and last? My BOSS deck pannel is all ****ed up, even after a single year of usage.

I don't want to be the loudest person on the block, I just want to enjoy my music (I listen to a diverse range of music, with lots of high and low frequencies).

For decks (headunits) alpine, JVC, kenwood, or pioneer would all work.

I have never heard of an alpine breaking and they have a simpler design (not as much stuff to mess with when driving.) and dont look so futuristic.

JVC's have served me will even when beating them up a bit during install and are generally more flashy, stand out more, and have that futuristic look.

My suggestion to you would be shop around, talk to some people who have systems in their cars, and talk to sound shops in your area.

Also dont forget ebay lol i know so many people who just mix and match from there and have nice systems. DONT GOTO BEST BUY. seriously.
    Last edited by lostidentity; 10-13-2009 at 05:24 PM.

Radar Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by lostidentity View Post

I need some information:

The rattle is usually from their trunk shaking, that happens when people get subs and just crank em up high as hell.

If you dont want a pounding(read deafening) bass a 12" maybe even a 10" sub will be more than enough.

For amp size look at the Watts (rms whatever) on the sub and you will need an amp that delivers atleast that much. So 500 W sub then get a 600 W amp. Generally just leave yourself some room with the amp.

Alpine R subs sound great but in my experience blow easily (I have a tendency to crank them WAY up) so they should be find for you. Generally a decent sub with a proper box will be fine so dont limit yourself to brand name, shop and ask around.
    Rockford punches will give good bass and are also a solid choice.

Another thing to consider is the ohm rating and if it is single or dual because your amp needs to should be able to support all of it.

So do you want 2 in 1's (normal door speakers) or component (tweeter is separate, generally more expensive and not worth it for most)?

Most stock door speakers have anywhere from 15-60 Watts of power so you will notice a difference right away. Go with speakers that have around 200 watts of power and that should be more than enough. If you want more high end sound then look for good tweeters in speakers and dont focus as much on wattage and cone material because if it sounds like **** what is the point of turning it up?

Alpine has a very good reputation for their door speakers. Pioneer has good speakers but can sometimes be hard to install. Infinity has worked well for my friends, I dont have any person experience with them.

For decks (headunits) alpine, JVC, kenwood, or pioneer would all work.

I have never heard of an alpine breaking and they have a simpler design (not as much stuff to mess with when driving.) and dont look so futuristic.

JVC's have served me will even when beating them up a bit during install and are generally more flashy, stand out more, and have that futuristic look.

My suggestion to you would be shop around, talk to some people who have systems in their cars, and talk to sound shops in your area.

Also dont forget ebay lol i know so many people who just mix and match from there and have nice systems. DONT GOTO BEST BUY. seriously.
    To me best buy represents all that is wrong with America, lol.

Thanks for the info!

Radar Fanatic

DONT GOTO BEST BUY.
    ...or Walmart to pick up a set of "Blowmasters".

Experienced

Quote Originally Posted by Clay_in_Nashville View Post
    DONT GOTO BEST BUY.
    x2000000000

Go to a local speciality shop that carrys alpine stuff its well worth the money. I got a cda 9886 and 3 ways that are pretty decent and do well for me. I havent put subs in the truck yet. I used to run comp cvrs from kicker and id rate them pretty well. Names to stick to are Alpine, Kicker, MTX, Boston acoustics, JL audio, and names to stay away from is almost anything thats not listed above that you can find in Pepboys or autozone. The only thing i found in there that was halfway decent was Phoinex(<--Sp?) Gold speakers.

Radar Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by thefreakincarjunkie View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Clay_in_Nashville View Post
    DONT GOTO BEST BUY.
    x2000000000

Go to a local speciality shop that carrys alpine stuff its well worth the money. I got a cda 9886 and 3 ways that are pretty decent and do well for me. I havent put subs in the truck yet. I used to run comp cvrs from kicker and id rate them pretty well. Names to stick to are Alpine, Kicker, MTX, Boston acoustics, JL audio, and names to stay away from is almost anything thats not listed above that you can find in Pepboys or autozone. The only thing i found in there that was halfway decent was Phoinex(<--Sp?) Gold speakers.
    I bet just replacing the speakers and deck it would be a ton louder and clearer...

Radar Fanatic

IF you want a Great budgeted speaker system, i go Infinity. Heres my setup and cost:
    Infinity Componant 6.5" front speakers $60
    Infinity 3 way 6x9 rear speakers $30
    Inifinty 12" sub-woofer 300watts RMS $25
    Sub-Box $20
    Alpine mono AMP 400watts RMS $50
    Tsunami Amp kit $30
    Tsunami Farad 1.3 $25
    KenWood Double din Touch screen DVD/LCD/Navigation $300

I'm sure the "retail cost" is well over $1,000 for my setup but if you look around, you can find them cheap. Only my Kenwood and alpine amp was used when purchased. I spent alot of time looking for cheap prices on many website that i cant list here.

Radar Fanatic

I'm a long time Inifity and Polk Audio user, Polk hands down beats Infinity but is much harder finding Polk at bargin prices.