Radar Fanatic

Default crimping or soldering! which is best...

Which is stronger? whats happened is that on the side of my engine there is a terminal conection which connects the wires on the engine to the rest of the loom which run through the bulkhead.

the problem is some how water keeps getting into this connector there are 37 wires in the connector 4 of which are ecu earths the rest goe to various sensors and the electronic coil pack...

what i've started to do is to cut the wires on the connector and rejoin them up using black wire to connect them so i have play in the wires..

so basicly i'm by pasing this connector!

what way is better to join them, soldering or crimping.

i've crimped a few and i've also used a terminal block on one to see how good the strengh is....

i'm better off which out this connector as if water keeps getting inside it some shorts are going to happen and end up busting the euc or something!

Radar Fanatic

both are alright. when i install a system or any electronic for that matter, i always crimp, just cuz its easier and i never know when ill have to unistall it. if i do need to unistall, uncrimping it is much easier. now in your case, where its a matter of factory stuff funcioning properly and it will always need this, i would say soldering would be the way to go. then cover all the wires with wire conduit/conduct and your set. :wink:

Yoda of Radar

Crimp and solder! Both are okay.

I remember I had such a pain in the ass working on VW's with wiring... the wiring was all f-ed up royally.

Radar Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by SmaartAasSaabr
    Crimp and solder! Both are okay.

I remember I had such a pain in the *BEEP* working on VW's with wiring... the wiring was all f-ed up royally.
    . i had a buddy who got a new passat, and he was going to put his system in it, he opens the hood, and says screw it lol. he saw where the battery was, almost in the dam firewall and covered by plastic

Yoda of Radar

hehe, "No User Serviceable Parts Inside"

Radar Fanatic

yes the bulkhead is covered with plastic but that has holes in it!

i've also found 2 of the same colour wires :shock:

lucky one of thicker than the other :roll: but when i looked on the other end both of the wires come out the same thickness :shock: :x

so i'll have to make sure i do them carefully..

i never had this with my golf gti, but it didnt have so much crap on the engine!

Radar Fanatic

i finnished it yesterday.. what a pain...

the car now runs and pulls better in 3rd gear but its still got a slight jerk or a chugg when your traveling along..

its also cut out a few times, wether this is a fuel or ignition problem i'm not sure... it may also be down to the isv which is allowing the engine to stall.. so i'm not sure wether this is working right!

i've had the engine running and i've shook the wires which i've crimped to see this its them and the engine doesnt flinch..... so i'm not sure what its caused by.

its got one of those static coil packs, so testing it is a little more difficult than if it had a coil and a distributor!

plus because the wether cold i dont know if its down to that... :x

hopefully i'll get it sorted out...